Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simonineaston
    • By simonineaston 14th Apr 19, 8:49 AM
    • 183Posts
    • 106Thanks
    simonineaston
    Used car - casting the net wide enough?
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:49 AM
    Used car - casting the net wide enough? 14th Apr 19 at 8:49 AM
    Hi folks, I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can, so... I'm looking for a used car, a third gen. mini to be precise, and up 'till now, I've been looking on autotrader.co.uk. This has yielded one suitable result, which I went to see on Friday and decided not to buy. Simple question to you good folk - am I casting my net wide enough? Are there other online websites / tools that I should be using?
Page 1
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Apr 19, 8:52 AM
    • 34,331 Posts
    • 29,136 Thanks
    custardy
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:52 AM
    You are online looking for cars and havent even looked on Ebay/Gumtree?
    • DrEskimo
    • By DrEskimo 14th Apr 19, 8:52 AM
    • 464 Posts
    • 347 Thanks
    DrEskimo
    I also use Motors.co.uk, eBay and pistonheads.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Apr 19, 8:53 AM
    • 21,835 Posts
    • 20,539 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:53 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 8:53 AM
    By "third generation", you mean an F55/56/57, 2013-on?

There's literally thousands for sale... Autotrader reckons somewhere around 5,400 cars, filtering for "Mini Hatch, 2013-date". Obviously, you're putting budgetary constraints on that, too. But...?

You say "one suitable result" - how are you narrowing to "suitable"?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 14th Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    • 18,587 Posts
    • 11,444 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 14th Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 9:53 AM
    Hi folks, I just want to make sure I'm doing all I can, so... I'm looking for a used car, a third gen. mini to be precise, and up 'till now, I've been looking on autotrader.co.uk. This has yielded one suitable result, which I went to see on Friday and decided not to buy. Simple question to you good folk - am I casting my net wide enough? Are there other online websites / tools that I should be using?
    Originally posted by simonineaston
    Clearly you need to be looking further afield than what you've it set to in AT. Theres literally thousands of them for sale. There is no world shortage of them
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Tokk
    • By Tokk 14th Apr 19, 12:49 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    Tokk
    • 14th Apr 19, 12:49 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 12:49 PM
    The more refinements you put on any search, the more you'll limit your outcomes.

- Specific model
    - Colour, especially if nonstandard
    - Year
    - Trim level, especially if after special editions
    - Engine
    - Gearbox (in most cars, auto only restricts you... In some manual only does).
    - Private sales only will limit you
    - location (tighter radii will limit it much more)

They can all limit your options... So besides what we know (specific model, particular years - neither of which should be strangling your search too much from what you've said), what other search options have you put in?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 14th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    • 22,383 Posts
    • 18,407 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 14th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    You are online looking for cars and havent even looked on Ebay/Gumtree?
    Originally posted by custardy

Perhaps the OP doesn't want to be scammed.
    • simonineaston
    • By simonineaston 14th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    simonineaston
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:08 PM
    Indeed, the OP doesn't wish to be scammed... ;-) Setting aside my preferences regarding the individual car I'd like, (and of course Adiran is right when he points out that we're awash with decent, recent minis :-) ), do we think that these so-called vertical search websites work? I have in mind trovit, which if its publicity is to be believed, makes a thorough search of all the individual websites, like parkers / autotrader & honest john and lists cars from them all - is there, as it were, a one-stop shop? And does CarWow and other broker-type sites work for used cars?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 14th Apr 19, 6:12 PM
    • 34,331 Posts
    • 29,136 Thanks
    custardy
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:12 PM
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:12 PM
    Perhaps the OP doesn't want to be scammed.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    What? Are you for real?
    How exactly does buying through ebay make it any different to buying a car from Auto trader?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 14th Apr 19, 6:32 PM
    • 28,955 Posts
    • 11,865 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    The scammers list on ALL the selling sites. None of them are 100% safe.

Every purchase requires some common sense. Private seller with 5 cars in various states of repair on his garden. What makes you think the car your buying was not in that condition last week.

Sellers away but can have the car delivered to you.

Selling for a friend and i know nothing about it.

All purchases require some common sense and a bit of detective work. If you know nothing about cars get it checked BEFORE you buy.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 14th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 4,321 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Indeed, the OP doesn't wish to be scammed... ;-) Setting aside my preferences regarding the individual car I'd like, (and of course Adiran is right when he points out that we're awash with decent, recent minis :-) ), do we think that these so-called vertical search websites work? I have in mind trovit, which if its publicity is to be believed, makes a thorough search of all the individual websites, like parkers / autotrader & honest john and lists cars from them all - is there, as it were, a one-stop shop? And does CarWow and other broker-type sites work for used cars?
    Originally posted by simonineaston
    I spent ages searching for my R57 JCW but only because I wouldn't compromise on 2 key points - auto and Harmon Kardon.

I tried all the searches but given the variety of terms available to search and whether a JCW was actually a real JCW or a Cooper S with JCW body kit it was almos impossible. Given your search is only giving a single result then what's so special ?

As an alternative put a wanted note on the Mini Owners Group FB page ?
    Last edited by k3lvc; 14-04-2019 at 7:20 PM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Apr 19, 7:34 PM
    • 21,835 Posts
    • 20,539 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If you're after a very precise spec, then it's more a question of how many were actually built and are actually on sale at any given time...
    • k6chris
    • By k6chris 14th Apr 19, 7:52 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    k6chris
    I don't suppose you want a Red 2015 Roadster Cooper and you live in the East Midlands??? I am about to sell mine and I have the opposite problem of trying to work out where to advertise it!!
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Apr 19, 9:35 AM
    • 22,383 Posts
    • 18,407 Thanks
    agrinnall
    What? Are you for real?
    How exactly does buying through ebay make it any different to buying a car from Auto trader?

You're the one that lumped Gumtree, a place well known for scams, in with ebay, better than Gumtree but hardly on a par with buying through Autotrader.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Apr 19, 4:53 PM
    • 34,331 Posts
    • 29,136 Thanks
    custardy
    You're the one that lumped Gumtree, a place well known for scams, in with ebay, better than Gumtree but hardly on a par with buying through Autotrader.
    Follow the same basic care as you would with any private sale and its just like buying from any other outlet.
    Usually greed gets people scammed on Gumtree with car scams.
    What protection does Auto trader offer?
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 15th Apr 19, 6:31 PM
    • 1,004 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond

They at least tell you at the outset if its an insurance write-off and the category; better than nothing.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Apr 19, 6:40 PM
    • 34,331 Posts
    • 29,136 Thanks
    custardy
    They at least tell you at the outset if its an insurance write-off and the category; better than nothing.
    Originally posted by EdGasketTheSecond
    Jesus. So a basic check you can do using the auto trader site for free by starting to create an ad.
    Next?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 15th Apr 19, 8:19 PM
    • 22,383 Posts
    • 18,407 Thanks
    agrinnall
    Follow the same basic care as you would with any private sale and its just like buying from any other outlet.
    Usually greed gets people scammed on Gumtree with car scams.

Well for one thing the OP hasn't suggested in any way that he's looking for a private sale, and as he's using Autotrader the chances are he's looking to buy from a dealer, and I'd rather buy from one that uses Autotrader than either of your options.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 16th Apr 19, 3:33 AM
    • 34,331 Posts
    • 29,136 Thanks
    custardy
    Well for one thing the OP hasn't suggested in any way that he's looking for a private sale, and as he's using Autotrader the chances are he's looking to buy from a dealer, and I'd rather buy from one that uses Autotrader than either of your options.
    So let me get this straight. You are now saying the OP wants a trade sale. I never said otherwise. The basic precautions of a private sale cover trade sales too
    So no trade sales on Gumtree? Are all the trade sales scammers on Gumtree?
    Still waiting on the 'protection' that Autotrader offers the OP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,913Posts Today

7,158Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin