Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jjah
    • By Jjah 13th Apr 19, 9:36 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jjah
    1st time buyer with 17 year old
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:36 PM
    1st time buyer with 17 year old 13th Apr 19 at 9:36 PM
    Hi all,

I did a telephone affordability with Natwest to see if I could have a mortgage.

There is a bit of a catch 22 though.

Child tax credit and child benefit are accepted _but_ they would not be considered with a 17 year old son for obvious reasons that he will not remain 17 for long.

Fair enough.

But here is the catch 22....

If I declared him as a dependant, it would significantly limit the amount I could borrow - but he is 18 in September!

Do I include him in the application as a dependant?

Thanks in advice
Page 1
    • LRmortgage
    • By LRmortgage 13th Apr 19, 9:54 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    LRmortgage
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:54 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:54 PM
    Speak to the lender, I know in some circumstances if a commitment is ending in the next 6 months they will allow you to leave it off the application.

Whether this applies to dependents I’m not sure, but worth asking them the question.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Jjah
    • By Jjah 13th Apr 19, 9:55 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jjah
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:55 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:55 PM
    Thanks so much!
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 14th Apr 19, 9:40 AM
    • 4,527 Posts
    • 4,962 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 14th Apr 19, 9:40 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 9:40 AM
    Hi all,

I did a telephone affordability with Natwest to see if I could have a mortgage.

There is a bit of a catch 22 though.

Child tax credit and child benefit are accepted _but_ they would not be considered with a 17 year old son for obvious reasons that he will not remain 17 for long.

Fair enough.

But here is the catch 22....

If I declared him as a dependant, it would significantly limit the amount I could borrow - but he is 18 in September!

Do I include him in the application as a dependant?

Thanks in advice
    Originally posted by Jjah
    Being 18 in September doesn't automatically make him a non-dependant though, is he at college/sixth form? Will he be next academic year?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Jjah
    • By Jjah 16th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jjah
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    He is looking at paid apprenticeship options after summer.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 16th Apr 19, 11:27 AM
    • 18,716 Posts
    • 10,326 Thanks
    ACG
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:27 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 11:27 AM
    Speak to the lender and explain he will not be a dependent from whenever. It is not a catch 22 as such as he may still be a dependent at 18. My little brother is 23 and works part time but his money goes on his xbox. He is very much still a dependent and probably will be until he finds a Mrs who will wrap him up in cotton wool as much as our dad and his mum do.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Jjah
    • By Jjah 16th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jjah
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 4:38 PM
    Very true!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,478Posts Today

4,382Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin