Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • amtrakuk
    • By amtrakuk 13th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    • 628Posts
    • 209Thanks
    amtrakuk
    Dog strike to car - insurance or private repairs?
    • 13th Apr 19, 9:08 PM
    Dog strike to car - insurance or private repairs? 13th Apr 19 at 9:08 PM
    Last night I was unfortunate enough to have a dog chasing a fox from a dark playing field across a main road, even with an emergency stop letting the fox run off the dog slammed into the front offside bumper causing a dent, paint scratching, fog light to pop out and the windscreen washer bottle to pop. Apart form that the car us still drivable.

I dialed 999 and got a CRN from the scene and the dog was taken by an emergency vet as the owner was nowhere to be seen.

Phoning the vet this morning to see if they found any owner details I was told due to data protection they wont speak to me - even though I was involved. I phoned the police who advised me the insurance company should pursue.

The insurance company have said it was my fault and are not willing to peruse. Is this a normal resolution?

I would not normally be so concerned but with a 600 excess, losing a 1 years NCB and a major hike of over 300 to over 700 for next years insurance.

Secondly I'm thinking of phoning up the insurance tomorrow to cancel the claim and get it repaired myself, as the excess and mark on my insurance file will be costly.

Does this sound a reasonable plan?
Page 2
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Apr 19, 10:33 AM
    • 23,772 Posts
    • 12,230 Thanks
    lisyloo
    A friend's dog ran into the rod and was hit by a car. The dog was killed.

My friend was contacted by the car owner's insurance with a bill to pay the costs of the repair to the car.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Did you friend pay voluntarily?
    Claim off their insurance?
    Or something else?

Id like to think a decent person with the means to pay would just pay out.
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 14th Apr 19, 10:41 AM
    • 9,959 Posts
    • 14,805 Thanks
    chucknorris
    Or something else?

Originally posted by lisyloo
    People who self insure for vet's bills, really need to take out third party liability insurance, which you can get via being a member of the Dog's Trust (and the money goes to a really good place, as far as most dog owners would think). If you don't have that cover the potential costs could be huge, I think the free cover with membership is still 1m.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
    • uk1
    • By uk1 14th Apr 19, 10:44 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    uk1
    No win no fee companies or paid ones will only pursue claims with a likelihood of winning (and getting paid). With insurnpance companies that likelihood is often >50%.
    An unknown householder probably doesn’t qualify.
    If you are lucky enough to know something about the person e.g they have a job (and therefore the means to pay) that may make a difference.

People also sometimes have legal cover as an extension to a house contents or motor insurance policy - or even pay for it seperately. There are several options. I merely stated it as an option to be considsered by the OP who knows his/her own circumstances better than us/me.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 14th Apr 19, 10:46 AM
    • 2,306 Posts
    • 3,302 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I once hit a healthy and very large male Alsatian which came out of the fast lane, in the dark, on the local motorway. When it showed in my lights it was too late to do anything so I just kept the steering straight and then steered into the side after the impact.

The dog expired on the scene and my lights and radiator had rather suffered too. No collar or chip on the dog, so the suspicion was that it came from some travellers in the area at the time, and a colleague had seen similar dogs on her morning commute.

Obviously I had to take the hit on my insurance too. That was an unlucky car as it also got pinched from my lock up garage and used in a post office robbery! Not as unlucky as the dog though..
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Apr 19, 10:50 AM
    • 23,772 Posts
    • 12,230 Thanks
    lisyloo
    People also sometimes have legal cover as an extension to a house contents or motor insurance policy - or even pay for it seperately. There are several options. I merely stated it as an option to be considsered by the OP who knows his/her own circumstances better than us/me.
    Originally posted by uk1
    A good suggestion.
    BUT home insurance usually excludes accidents whilst driving a motor vehcicle so it’s probably excluded.
    Their threshold is normally > 50% chance of winning even if you’ve paid for cover.

Might be worth trying the motor policy but they if it’s linked to the insurer they may refer to the insurer.

I have a separate one, maninly because it’s better value for money but FWIW I think there are benefits to having it separate (linked ones will just follow the insurers line).

But I agree if professional advice is available for free then use it.
    I’ve used it a few times to find out where I stand.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Apr 19, 10:52 AM
    • 23,772 Posts
    • 12,230 Thanks
    lisyloo
    so the suspicion was that it came from some travellers in the area at the time,
    Originally posted by silverwhistle
    An example of people who wouldnt pay and where local knowledge can affect the decision of whether to pursue.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 14th Apr 19, 12:59 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 783 Thanks
    owen_money
    Dogs are licensed animals and should be under control.
    Dogs haven't been required to be licensed since 1987

Licences
    You may need to get a licence from your local council for:

Some types of exotic wild animals
    Domestic-wild hybrid animals
    Running a business like a riding stables or pet shop

You dont need a licence for most common domestic pets.
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 14th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    Or something else?

Id like to think a decent person who had just hit a dog and killed it wouldnt be so heartless as to go after the owners for money.
    • davidwatts
    • By davidwatts 14th Apr 19, 1:43 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    davidwatts
    I am surprised most people believe the dog owner automatically has insurance. Not everyone is a home owner or has insurance.
    I think people were just suggesting, correctly, that it was more likely than not that the dog owner would have insurance. Overall, most households have contents insurance that would provide relevant 3rd party liability. (I remember reading something that said a substantial majority of homeowners have contents insurance though it does dip below 50% for certain types of tenant.) Also, these days it is increasingly common for there to be a degree of liability cover under Pet policies as well.

Not guaranteed, but certainly a strong possibility.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 14th Apr 19, 1:52 PM
    • 38,658 Posts
    • 22,599 Thanks
    Quentin
    I’d like to think a decent person who had just hit a dog and killed it wouldn’t be so heartless as to go after the owners for money.
    Originally posted by onwards&upwards
    That's like saying if a driver causes a crash and dies in it you shouldn't pursue for compensation for your car damaged by the deceased

This is a money saving website. Suggesting that the OP is indecent is a poor show!

Of course the innocent OP should pursue the dead dogs owner for restitution
    Last edited by Quentin; 14-04-2019 at 5:33 PM.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 14th Apr 19, 2:31 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Dogs haven't been required to be licensed since 1987

Originally posted by owen_money
    Unless you live in Northern Ireland.

All dogs in the UK must be microchipped by the age of 8 weeks.
    • uk1
    • By uk1 14th Apr 19, 3:16 PM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 869 Thanks
    uk1
    I’d like to think a decent person who had just hit a dog and killed it wouldn’t be so heartless as to go after the owners for money.

You are confused.

The OP wasn't responsible for the dog's death, it was the owner of the dog who failed to control it. It is quite possible to be a decent person and feel mortified and deeply upset for the dog, sympathy for the owner, but feel that the person responsible for the damage should pay for it. If you wouldn't do so then I am perfectly happy for you but it doesn't make you "decent". Perhaps it will encourage the owner to be a little more careful in future.
    Last edited by uk1; 14-04-2019 at 3:25 PM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Apr 19, 4:20 PM
    • 23,772 Posts
    • 12,230 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I think people were just suggesting, correctly, that it was more likely than not that the dog owner would have insurance. Overall, most households have contents insurance that would provide relevant 3rd party liability. (I remember reading something that said a substantial majority of homeowners have contents insurance though it does dip below 50% for certain types of tenant.) Also, these days it is increasingly common for there to be a degree of liability cover under Pet policies as well.

Not guaranteed, but certainly a strong possibility.
    Originally posted by davidwatts
    Do you have any source for more than likely?
    I don’t but I know a scary number of householders who haven’t had insurwnce for various reasons (often by mistake).
    Travellers and homeless people sometimes have dogs.

If you are correct ( and I hope you are) then the motor insurer should take up the claim against the 3rd party on the basis than more than likely theyll get their money back (my expectation is they won’t pursue and I’d love to hear their explanation).
    Last edited by lisyloo; 14-04-2019 at 4:29 PM.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Apr 19, 4:22 PM
    • 23,772 Posts
    • 12,230 Thanks
    lisyloo
    Dog owners should keep their animals under control.
    They could be risking the death of a motorcyclist or pedal cyclist or even a motorist or a child that just happens to be in the way.
    If it is dangerously out of control then they could (and should) be prosecuted and can face a jail sentence.

Your personal feelings on the matter are not in line with the law (see link I posted earlier).

How would you feel if it was your baby that was killed or a family member on a pedal cycle?
    Last edited by lisyloo; 14-04-2019 at 4:25 PM.
    • davidwatts
    • By davidwatts 14th Apr 19, 4:32 PM
    • 194 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    davidwatts
    Do you have any source for more than likely?
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2014/01/20/only-39-private-tenants-have-contents-insurance

They may or may not, it's just my feeling that it's at least slightly better than a 50/50 proposition and I posted more as a reaction to the comment about people assuming they would automatically have it when I don't think anyone had actually said that.

As you say, the most typical way to establish it would be via ones insurer following a claim (especially given the OPs difficulties in finding out who the owner was).
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Apr 19, 6:22 PM
    • 6,189 Posts
    • 4,678 Thanks
    sheramber
    Or something else?

No, they did not have insurance and yes , they paid up.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 14th Apr 19, 6:53 PM
    • 3,667 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Dog owners should keep their animals under control.
    They could be risking the death of a motorcyclist or pedal cyclist or even a motorist or a child that just happens to be in the way.
    If it is dangerously out of control then they could (and should) be prosecuted and can face a jail sentence.

Your personal feelings on the matter are not in line with the law (see link I posted earlier).

How would you feel if it was your baby that was killed or a family member on a pedal cycle?
    If you changed 'dog' to 'child' then what you wrote could also apply. In fact it would be worse because road users are more likely to attempt avoiding action with possible fatal results to 3rd parties if it was a child.
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 14th Apr 19, 6:59 PM
    • 10,158 Posts
    • 62,471 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    I nearly ran over a black dog several years ago who just happened to run straight across my path in the dark, luckily I slammed my brakes on and avoided it. The idiot owner continues to walk it without being on a lead.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • amtrakuk
    • By amtrakuk 14th Apr 19, 9:43 PM
    • 628 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    amtrakuk
    It says on my account the claim status is "Cancelled". The phone operator said the they will send a letter though confirming my NCD and premium are unaffected - Will wait and see.

As for the dog, I have no idea, I tried phoning the vet again and they will not speak to me due to EU data protection. I said well I have done all I can.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 16th Apr 19, 1:14 PM
    • 23,772 Posts
    • 12,230 Thanks
    lisyloo
    It says on my account the claim status is "Cancelled". The phone operator said the they will send a letter though confirming my NCD and premium are unaffected - Will wait and see.
    Originally posted by amtrakuk
    I think they mean your current premium.
    You will most likely be loaded for having an incident in future years.
    You can check by doing quotes with and without.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,449Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin