Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 13th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    • 1,985Posts
    • 3,585Thanks
    swingaloo
    Oh, the joys of Best Offer on Ebay.
    • 13th Apr 19, 4:05 PM
    Oh, the joys of Best Offer on Ebay. 13th Apr 19 at 4:05 PM
    I listed a dress with a starting price of 7.99. I also had a 'Best Offer' on it on which I had 'Accept offers above 7.

I had no watchers and it was the 2nd time the dress had been listed.

Just 10 mins before the end of the auction someone made me a 'Best Offer' of 16 which was automatically accepted and they paid straight away.

Had they just placed a bid it would of been theirs for 7.99.

I feel guilty!
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 13th Apr 19, 4:16 PM
    • 16,362 Posts
    • 22,565 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 13th Apr 19, 4:16 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 4:16 PM
    Hahahahahaaa.

Sorry. Couldn't help laughing. Some people really are TSFE!!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Apr 19, 4:32 PM
    • 13,281 Posts
    • 9,098 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Apr 19, 4:32 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 4:32 PM
    I hope it works out well for you. TSFE needs an upgrade perhaps a suffix for the advanced TSFE buyer - TSFE+
    • Trickytrotter
    • By Trickytrotter 15th Apr 19, 6:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Trickytrotter
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:34 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 6:34 PM
    Had similar today. Something on sale for 3.45 since last November. As Easter week and going away the week after - so not relisting - put price up yesterday at 3.95 in minor fit of pique. Had an offer today for 4.50. Joy.
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 15th Apr 19, 9:17 PM
    • 3,684 Posts
    • 4,632 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:17 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 9:17 PM
    I have sold my Homing pigeon "best offer" 27 times
    Last edited by twhitehousescat; 15-04-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th Apr 19, 9:03 AM
    • 17,134 Posts
    • 13,311 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:03 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:03 AM
    That’s a big difference in price for a dress.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 17th Apr 19, 11:50 AM
    • 1,781 Posts
    • 4,417 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 17th Apr 19, 11:50 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 11:50 AM
    To be fair to the purchaser of the 16 dress, different ebay sellers have different thought processes when considering best offers on auction listings.

Some are like the OP where they set a highish start price but are willing to accept a best offer of around that price, other sellers will set a much lower start price in the expectation they will receive a number of bids and will only consider accepting a best offer which is in the region of the price they would hope to make by letting the auction run it's course.

The only auction listing I have ever made a best offer on fell into the latter category, my best offer was around double the start price and was rejected, the item ended up selling for closer to treble the start price.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,887Posts Today

7,098Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin