Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • philipellis
    • By philipellis 13th Apr 19, 10:37 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    philipellis
    Paying Halifax and MBNA from NatWest
    • 13th Apr 19, 10:37 AM
    Paying Halifax and MBNA from NatWest 13th Apr 19 at 10:37 AM
    I bank with NatWest and have 2 credit cards that I pay off through either my online banking or, usually, my banking app.

Something has changed at MBNA because their app logon process is now identical to the Halifax app. I'm guessing that they now use the same app provider. MBNA also has a new statement style and, crucially, now shows the same sort code and account number for making payments. This is where the problem is, I reckon.

I tried to re-add MBNA to my bank payee list and was told that the sort code and account number were already in use. I only realised what the problem was when I spoke to my bank and they said that the sort code and account is question were connected to my Halifax account.

When I asked why I couldn't have two payees with the same details, the rep told me that all banks are like that - not helpful.

Has anyone else come across this problem?
    Is it true that it's an industry-wide issue? i,e. you are with a different bank but still have the same problem?
    What can we do to get the banks to allow multiple payees with the same details?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Apr 19, 10:42 AM
    • 21,736 Posts
    • 23,654 Thanks
    zx81
    • 13th Apr 19, 10:42 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 10:42 AM
    It's because they're part of the same banking group.

You should be able to just make a manual payment via online banking and change the reference.
    • Krisko
    • By Krisko 13th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Krisko
    • 13th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 10:51 AM
    MBNA was acquired by Lloyds Banking Group, which also owns Halifax a few years ago.

I'm with Starling Bank and do have two payees with the same account number and sort-code, so it's certainly not impossible.

But can't you just pay your MBNA or Halifax with your debit card?
    • philipellis
    • By philipellis 13th Apr 19, 2:31 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    philipellis
    • 13th Apr 19, 2:31 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 2:31 PM
    I can pay with my debit card (in fact, this is what I did) but using my banking app is much more convenient. It used to take me 30 seconds from my phone and now I have faff around logging into MBNA's website, getting to the right spot, making the payment and then waiting for 2-3 days whilst it clears my account.

I may well be stuck with it. Progress, eh?!
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 13th Apr 19, 2:36 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    • 13th Apr 19, 2:36 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 2:36 PM

I may well be stuck with it. Progress, eh?!
    Originally posted by philipellis
    You could switch to a different bank which allows multiple payees to the same bank details.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 13th Apr 19, 2:50 PM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    18cc
    • 13th Apr 19, 2:50 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 2:50 PM
    That is silly - that would mean for example if you had two savings account with eg Charter SB or whoever and wanted to pay in by faster payment using the same account no / sort code for the provider but a different reference for each account then you couldn't?? I know for a fact that you can because I do it!
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Apr 19, 5:31 PM
    • 3,640 Posts
    • 4,872 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 13th Apr 19, 5:31 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 5:31 PM
    OP there should be a way around this, maybe try setting them up on the desktop site rather than the Natwest app. I can't see that they wouldn't allow you to pay 2 different references to the same sort code and account number. What would happen if you had 2 credit cards with Halifax?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • philipellis
    • By philipellis 13th Apr 19, 5:35 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    philipellis
    • 13th Apr 19, 5:35 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 5:35 PM
    That is silly - that would mean for example if you had two savings account with eg Charter SB or whoever and wanted to pay in by faster payment using the same account no / sort code for the provider but a different reference for each account then you couldn't?? I know for a fact that you can because I do it!
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Yes, it is silly. I didn't believe Natwest when they said it's an industry-wide issue - it's just that their computer system can't cope with it. I really am not minded to move banks but it is an annoyance.
    • philipellis
    • By philipellis 13th Apr 19, 5:37 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    philipellis
    • 13th Apr 19, 5:37 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 5:37 PM
    OP there should be a way around this, maybe try setting them up on the desktop site rather than the Natwest app. I can't see that they wouldn't allow you to pay 2 different references to the same sort code and account number. What would happen if you had 2 credit cards with Halifax?
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    I've tried all ways to add the second payee without success (at least their different systems behave the same!). Exactly - if I had two cards with Halifax, I'd be as stuck as I am now. It's a bit rubbish!
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 13th Apr 19, 5:48 PM
    • 3,640 Posts
    • 4,872 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    I've tried all ways to add the second payee without success (at least their different systems behave the same!). Exactly - if I had two cards with Halifax, I'd be as stuck as I am now. It's a bit rubbish!
    Can you ring Natwest and ask them to make the payment? They must have a way around it
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • philipellis
    • By philipellis 13th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    philipellis
    Can you ring Natwest and ask them to make the payment? They must have a way around it
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    I can make the payment, no problem, by logging into my MBNA account and doing it on my debit card. My issue is not being able to use my Natwest app, which is (normally!) super efficient and quick.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 13th Apr 19, 8:20 PM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Yes, it is silly. I didn't believe Natwest when they said it's an industry-wide issue - it's just that their computer system can't cope with it.
    You did right not to believe them. I manage to do it perfectly well with Lloyds.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 13th Apr 19, 11:17 PM
    • 25,736 Posts
    • 12,963 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Well I pay my Lloyds Halifax and MBNA card through Lloyds Internet banking.

Maybe a workaround would be to open another free current account with NW and set up the payment for one of the cards from this?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 14th Apr 19, 2:32 AM
    • 2,811 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The solution is very simple. Just change the reference each time you make a payment. References can be changed each time with payments that you make; it is only with direct debits that you can't change the reference.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Apr 19, 11:51 AM
    • 25,736 Posts
    • 12,963 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    The solution is very simple. Just change the reference each time you make a payment. References can be changed each time with payments that you make; it is only with direct debits that you can't change the reference.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    IMO this could be bad advice.
    By this I mean the reference is normally your 16 digit card number - Lloyds won't let you change this AFTER set up - you have to delete the payment and set it up again.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 14th Apr 19, 4:53 PM
    • 2,811 Posts
    • 1,410 Thanks
    Ben8282
    IMO this could be bad advice.
    By this I mean the reference is normally your 16 digit card number - Lloyds won't let you change this AFTER set up - you have to delete the payment and set it up again.
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    This is not correct. I can change the reference with all the payees I have set up from my Lloyds account and in fact do this every month with one payee where I change the reference every month to show the number of the invoice I am paying. Would point out though that the OP is sending payments from a NatWest account not a Lloyds account.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Apr 19, 11:05 PM
    • 25,736 Posts
    • 12,963 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    This is not correct. I can change the reference with all the payees I have set up from my Lloyds account and in fact do this every month with one payee where I change the reference every month to show the number of the invoice I am paying. Would point out though that the OP is sending payments from a NatWest account not a Lloyds account.
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    I agree with paying a person you can do this - but with bill payments the reference is greyed out once it is set up.
    I know the OP was talking about NW.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 15th Apr 19, 10:41 AM
    • 1,258 Posts
    • 908 Thanks
    18cc
    Yes and from memory you can't set up eg a credit card as 'pay a person' as if you do it recognises the sort code / account no and tell you that you have to use 'pay bill' on which you can't change the reference.

That is from memory - no longer have Lloyds as I switched it because of their over-zealous fraud filters.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 15th Apr 19, 4:55 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    Ganga
    I went into a branch of Halifax to pay off a credit card bill with my HSBC debit card and they would not accept it,had to go back home and come back with a cheque ( i know i could have paid it on-line but was passing the branch )
    Last edited by Ganga; 15-04-2019 at 4:56 PM. Reason: spelling
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

543Posts Today

5,775Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin