Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • splking
    • By splking 13th Apr 19, 1:42 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 5Thanks
    splking
    Switching prepay supplier with a SMETS1 meter
    • 13th Apr 19, 1:42 AM
    Switching prepay supplier with a SMETS1 meter 13th Apr 19 at 1:42 AM
    A relative of mine has a SMETS1 prepay meter and I want to help him move supplier as his current supplier has ridiculous rates (Utilita).

From what I understand he would have to move to a credit meter first, and then back onto a prepay tariff, is that correct????? It seems the SMETS1 meters can be remotely moved to a credit meter by the supplier, and then it would be considered a traditional credit meter switch. The new supplier might then have to come and install a prepay meter physically to return my relative onto prepay.

The concern is he doesn't want to have to go through credit checks and the hassle of having to deal with a credit energy account even if only for a short while. The sad thing is that the installation of the smart meter was really thrust upon him too... and not knowing much about energy or meters he just caved in.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Thomas Edison
    • By Thomas Edison 13th Apr 19, 8:22 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    Thomas Edison
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:22 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:22 AM
    Yep because SMETS1 don't maintain smart functionality when you switch they are automatically put in credit mode at switchover as smart prepay is impossible if the meter can't communicate.

They would then need to request a prepayment meter if they wanted to pay like. But be aware it is more expensive so I would recommend they trial the credit tariff and see if they can manage it.

Best way is just to give meter readings anytime they would normally top up.
    Last edited by Thomas Edison; 13-04-2019 at 8:25 AM.
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 13th Apr 19, 8:56 AM
    • 241 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:56 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:56 AM
    A relative of mine has a SMETS1 prepay meter and I want to help him move supplier as his current supplier has ridiculous rates (Utilita). ...
    Originally posted by splking
    I thought most of the pre payment tariffs are much of a muchness nowadays, typically close to the ofgem cap.
    • Houbara
    • By Houbara 13th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    • 4,376 Posts
    • 2,913 Thanks
    Houbara
    • 13th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 10:23 AM
    I thought most of the pre payment tariffs are much of a muchness nowadays, typically close to the ofgem cap.
    Originally posted by PaschalFun
    Yes, the idea that all prepay rates are expensive is a little outdated due to the tariff caps in place nowadays.
    Bulbs prepayment meter rates for instance are exactly the same as their Varifair credit meter rates, making them one of the cheapest in my area especially if you take into account a 50 cashback available to new customers who take up a friend referral ( like from me if you pm me )
    Last edited by Houbara; 16-04-2019 at 7:02 PM.
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 13th Apr 19, 11:08 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Michaelw
    • 13th Apr 19, 11:08 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 11:08 PM
    Originally posted by PaschalFun
    What I found when trying other suppliers' was they quoted with a credit meter suggesting they would except either direct debit or a paypoint card or similar and not a smart meter in prepayment mode.Once off of prepayment it can be hard to get back on again especially if a credit check is passed and prices on standard tariffs will increase and the savings on direct debit are not that great with the risks of high bills/shortfalls/credit report damage.

Prepayment is a very good place to be today and offers a level of protection against meter faults' and a control of cost's.Its no longer the most expensive way to pay.
    • splking
    • By splking 16th Apr 19, 3:25 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    splking
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:25 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 3:25 PM
    The difference between Bulb's prepayment rates and the prepayment rates from alternative suppliers is significant. I've calculated my family member could save 300+ by switching prepayment supplier but the SMETS1 meter means they'd have to move to credit first and this is something they don't want to do... (also they aren't sure they'd pass the credit check). So smart meters have effectively trapped prepay people.... ridiculous. Similar to the warm home discount, a poorly thought out policy.

Utilita Premium Energy prepayment tariff:

Gas:
    0 to 365 kWh: 33.02p
    365 and over: 4.11p
    no standing charge

Elec:
    0 to 365 kWh: 48.45p
    365 and over: 16.72p
    no standing charge

Although the omission of a standing charge seems to be beneficial for the customer, the reality is that at all usage levels the customer is worse off. Not sure what to do to help him... really frustrating.
    • robbo990
    • By robbo990 16th Apr 19, 7:22 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    robbo990
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:22 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:22 PM
    I moved from Utilita to EDF (prepayment to credit) same meter, although now it's dumb and I have to provide readings.

On the chosen start day, the meter is switched to credit mode by Utilita
    Official SOS Club number 004 - Dry until (05.01.10)
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 16th Apr 19, 9:46 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Michaelw
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:46 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:46 PM
    Utilita Premium Energy prepayment tariff:

Gas:
    0 to 365 kWh: 33.02p
    365 and over: 4.11p
    no standing charge
    Originally posted by splking
    Those units look very steep despite no standing charge.I'am a low user and my gas bill on prepayment is 300 a year and electric is 250 a year on British Gas prepayment.Sadly the now defunct Ebico/SSE was the best no standing charge tariff,where everyone paid the same however they paid,sadly that has all now gone.

I moved from Utilita to EDF (prepayment to credit) same meter, although now it's dumb and I have to provide readings.

On the chosen start day, the meter is switched to credit mode by Utilita
    Originally posted by robbo990
    An industy search on a suppliers website shows a prepayment smart meter as a credit mode meter.I would personally remain on prepayment as prices rose on the standard tariff in credit mode also the vulnerability status is important also quick gas meter repairs apply.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,274Posts Today

6,876Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin