Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 12th Apr 19, 6:57 PM
    • 1,828Posts
    • 910Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    0 WOW
    Spanish airport strikes?
    • 12th Apr 19, 6:57 PM
    0 WOW
    Spanish airport strikes? 12th Apr 19 at 6:57 PM
    https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1112804/spain-holidays-spanish-airport-strike-easter-latest-news

Fortyfoot
Page 1
    • lea2012
    • By lea2012 12th Apr 19, 8:05 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    lea2012
    • 12th Apr 19, 8:05 PM
    • 12th Apr 19, 8:05 PM
    We read this with interest earlier this week as we're due to fly back on easter Monday! Fingers crossed it doesn't happen.
    Lea :confused:
    • MrsJoJo
    • By MrsJoJo 13th Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    MrsJoJo
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    Weíre due to fly out with Ryanair on Sunday 21st to Girona for a week. I guess it will be a case of turn up at the airport and see what happens? I know we wonít be entitled to compensation as the strikes are outside Ryanairís control but what happens if they cancel our flight altogether? Will we just get a refund and lose the cost of the accommodation/taxi booked? Iíve looked at alternative flights but canít find anything suitable.

Would appreciate advice from anyone affected by strikes in the past so we can be prepared. Thanks in anticipation.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 13th Apr 19, 8:26 AM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 903 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:26 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:26 AM
    What with the annual French Air Traffic Controllers strike and now this do the Europeans really want us to come on holiday?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 13th Apr 19, 8:28 AM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:28 AM
    • 13th Apr 19, 8:28 AM
    what happens if they cancel our flight altogether? Will we just get a refund and lose the cost of the accommodation/taxi booked?
    Originally posted by MrsJoJo

If accommodation/transfers are booked separately and are non-refundable, then yes (although your travel insurance may cover the loss depending on your policy). Girona is close to several French airports (Perpignan, Carcassone, Toulouse) so might be an option to make your way to Girona from there.
    • MrsJoJo
    • By MrsJoJo 13th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    MrsJoJo
    • 13th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 1:10 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Not thought about flying to France so will look if this is feasible. Weíve got travel insurance but unfortunately the excess is £74 per person for cancellation and there are 4 of us. The hotel and taxi only cost £320 so not even worth claiming. Fingers crossed the flight wonít be cancelled but lessons learnt. Canít believe from research how often they do go on strike - seems to be an annual occurrence!
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 13th Apr 19, 6:00 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 2,447 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 13th Apr 19, 6:00 PM
    • 13th Apr 19, 6:00 PM
    I’m flying back from Tenerife on the 23rd which is a non-strike day, however I wonder if there will a backlog from the Sunday strike...
    • lea2012
    • By lea2012 14th Apr 19, 6:47 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    lea2012
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:47 AM
    • 14th Apr 19, 6:47 AM
    Tadleybaggie - it depends which articles you read. Some say it's the 21st only, others say its an indefinite strike from the 21st onwards.
    We fly back from Spain on the 22nd so I am expecting to have issues with delays etc but if it's only for one day then hopefully you will be OK by the 23rd.
    • mynameisclare
    • By mynameisclare 15th Apr 19, 5:41 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    mynameisclare
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:41 PM
    • 15th Apr 19, 5:41 PM
    Does anyone know how close to the event the airlines will decide whether to cancel flights? I suppose it's too much to hope for anything other than "on the day"?

I am due to fly Exeter-Malaga on Sunday (flybe), for a course which starts 8am Monday morning so I can't really afford to be kept waiting for the next "available" flight as I expect that wouldn't be until Monday.

I have booked myself another outbound flight for Saturday as a back up plan but it is less convenient, plus I would need to ask them to let me keep the return flight from the first booking - they were charged separately as two singles instead of a return as such so I'm hoping that is allowed?!
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 20th Apr 19, 11:15 AM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 2,447 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    Strike called off according me to article in The Express.
    • lea2012
    • By lea2012 20th Apr 19, 9:05 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    lea2012
    Yes I've just read on article online, via a Google search and think it was the express too, and it said it had been cancelled as they have made some progress so fingers crossed all will be OK.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

994Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin