Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Heatherweed
    • By Heatherweed 11th Apr 19, 3:40 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 84Thanks
    Heatherweed
    Taking cat abroad
    • 11th Apr 19, 3:40 PM
    Taking cat abroad 11th Apr 19 at 3:40 PM
    Hi
    Does anyone know how you take your cat abroad or done it. We would like to take ours abroad in our motorhome she was a stray so dont know her history. Vets info seems a bit vague. Thank you
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 11th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 11th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    • 11th Apr 19, 4:10 PM
    https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

Start here and see what it says.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Apr 19, 5:04 PM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 11th Apr 19, 5:04 PM
    • 11th Apr 19, 5:04 PM
    Your vet probably is vague as the rules will change when/ if we leave the EU and how the EU will regard us.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-after-brexit
    • Heatherweed
    • By Heatherweed 11th Apr 19, 7:01 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Heatherweed
    • 11th Apr 19, 7:01 PM
    Heatherweed
    • 11th Apr 19, 7:01 PM
    Thanks thought that might be the case
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th Apr 19, 12:27 PM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 6,102 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 12th Apr 19, 12:27 PM
    • 12th Apr 19, 12:27 PM
    Is this just for a holiday? If so, puss will probably be safer and happier in a nice cattery.
    • SensibleSarah
    • By SensibleSarah 12th Apr 19, 12:51 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 310 Thanks
    SensibleSarah
    • 12th Apr 19, 12:51 PM
    • 12th Apr 19, 12:51 PM
    This couple live in a van (currently in Portugal) with their cat - https://www.theindieprojects.com/blog//travelling-with-a-cat so might have some useful advice.

As a cat owner myself, I absolutely wouldn't ever do this with my cats though. It's rare that a cat doesn't get very stressed by travelling (although there are exceptions, of course) and the risks of the cat getting outside and lost are just too high for me to even consider it.
    • Heatherweed
    • By Heatherweed 12th Apr 19, 5:52 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Heatherweed
    • 12th Apr 19, 5:52 PM
    Heatherweed
    • 12th Apr 19, 5:52 PM
    Hi thanks hope to stay in Portugal for several months son moved out there. Kitty is used to travelling witb us quite happily. Travelled with 2 cats for years before 🐱.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    • 15,927 Posts
    • 22,282 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 12th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    As a cat owner myself, I absolutely wouldn't ever do this with my cats though. It's rare that a cat doesn't get very stressed by travelling (although there are exceptions, of course) and the risks of the cat getting outside and lost are just too high for me to even consider it.
    Originally posted by SensibleSarah
    I had an exception. I took him everywhere with me, including camping holidays, and he didn't appear to get stressed at all. He used to come on walks with me and never got lost or disappeared despite having no restrictions on going outside on his own.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 12th Apr 19, 8:04 PM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 12th Apr 19, 8:04 PM
    • 12th Apr 19, 8:04 PM
    A friend took her cat when they went away in their caravan. It enjoyed exploring the sites and accompanied them when they walked their dogs.
    • Heatherweed
    • By Heatherweed 13th Apr 19, 11:07 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Heatherweed
    Heatherweed
    Thanks everyone seeing vet tues morning looks like start vaccines from scratch that will be biv shop!!!😄. Know it depends on. Brexit but how Long do we wait hubby 74!!
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 16th Apr 19, 9:04 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    TripleH
    Whilst no-one knows what the rules will be following the B-word, I cannot see a problem at the moment if you follow the current procedures for taking a cat abroad. Overall the requirements to take one into mainland Europe won't change, more likely the issues may be when you are coming home, but if you have the inoculations required presently by the UK,

I cannot see this changing. It all appears to be risk based and I would say it's riskier to bring a cat from Europe to the UK, but you have a UK based cat with medical history known in the UK.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Apr 19, 10:12 AM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    sheramber
    Why do you do not see the requirements to take an animal to Europe ?

If we leave the EU we will no longer be a part of the Pet Passport system.

As an outsider the requirements for Rabies cover are longer.

Only if the Eu give us third country status will we stay in the Pet Passport scheme.

I don't think that will be uppermost in the withdrawal arrangements, so while it may happen at some time it may not be immediately.

The UK have said they have no plans at present to change the requirement for entry to the UK but we all know how long 'at present' is for the government.
    • TripleH
    • By TripleH 16th Apr 19, 10:39 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    TripleH
    My view was based on a common sense approach, that if you had a pet passport AND were in the EU with them when things are formally ended does your pet suddenly overnight have a greater chance of being a risk for disease because we are in a new day?

I could go on about common sense but I suspect the occupants of Westminster probably think that is being able to get back to your office after a liquid lunch in one of the public funded bars.
    Wherever you go, whatever you do Richard Marx is right there waiting for you.

Sweet dreams!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,405Posts Today

4,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin