Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LanaDN
    • By LanaDN 11th Apr 19, 2:20 PM
    • 44Posts
    • 13Thanks
    LanaDN
    LBC Smart Parking LTD - HELP PLEASE
    • 11th Apr 19, 2:20 PM
    LBC Smart Parking LTD - HELP PLEASE 11th Apr 19 at 2:20 PM
    So today I received a LBC from Gladstones Solicitors. Apparently they've sent letters to a previous address advising that they are instructed to commence legal action to recover 5 lots of 160 parking charges in B&M car park.

The letter says pay or reply before 18th April, and that any reply after this date may not be considered and legal proceedings will likely have to be issued. Payment is to be made to the DRP.

Any advice on how to deal with this?
    Last edited by LanaDN; 14-04-2019 at 2:18 PM.
Page 5
    • LanaDN
    • By LanaDN 16th May 19, 6:48 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    LanaDN
    Did you go higher up with your B&M complaint?

The CEO Simon Arora's email is readily available on the internet:

SimonArora@bmstores.co.uk

If you haven't done so already, send him an email that outlines the facts but is also written from the heart. The Keeper writes it but they refer to what they ('we') did on the day, including what the driver did.

Looks like the Keeper and driver were / are very regular customers of B&M. That needs to be stated clearly with timeframes and, if relevant, the approximate - or even exact if possible - amount of money spent over time.

If there were mitigating circumstances that led to these PCNs then explain them. If signage etc. was a contributing factor, mention that. Explain why you knew nothing about the PCNs until the time for appealing was long gone.

You have experienced very high levels of stress so far. Simon Arora needs to know about the detrimental impact the PCNs have had on your mental health in terms of extreme anxiety. If you have any kind of mental health diagnosis or take medication, mention that.

If you wish, mention that you are determined to contest the PCNs in court but that this is a very big step for you and something that terrifies you.

Give it to him straight. If you consider yourself someone who usually parks very carefully, mention that for good measure but 'strongly request' that he cancels these PCNs in order to end this nightmare for you.

Right, I've painted a picture of what I assume to be your most difficult times to give you an idea of what I'd write. I've made quite a few assumptions and only you can paint the accurate picture. The fact that you're actually doing a great job of tackling this now does not need to be mentioned. I think you'll do well at the court stage but in all fairness the CEO needs to know how bad this has been and to take action to resolve this issue straight away.
    Originally posted by MistyZ
    I didn't go higher but I will do as you've suggested and email the CEO. Everything you have said is exactly right - this has had such an enormous impact on my mental health. The amount of money they're asking for (1,200) is just impossible for me to find as a single parent and I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of going to court.

I emailed Gladstones earlier today to clarify what Smart had meant on their letters that said that the PCNs were at 'bailiff stage' and she confirmed that a claim hasn't been issued yet and the court are not involved - she said only when they have obtained judgement via the court or default can it be sent to enforcement. When she says 'default', does it mean if I don't acknowledge service and make a defence/attend court? Then I'm guessing I'd get a CCJ and bailiffs would be used?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th May 19, 7:35 PM
    • 72,324 Posts
    • 84,631 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Point out in the CEO complaint that it is Mental Health Awareness Week:

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/campaigns/mental-health-awareness-week

Prove how often your family shop there, with bank statements/receipts attached to your email complaint, but without saying who was driving on the material dates. Just say ''we are very distressed by this harassment'' etc...and go into detail as to how this is affecting and seriously unsettling you every day, it's always on your mind, etc.

And say that the inaction of the staff members who ignored you crying about this issue, and don't seem to care or realise the parking industry operates a nasty, litigious scam, has made matters worse. And not content with 90 a pop as per the signs, Smart has inexplicably decided to add a tenner onto every one, whcih seems to be illegal as it looks like they've charged 10 for each event Subject Access Request you made!

Illegal under the GDPR. Remind the CEO that the principal remains liable for the conduct of its agents, so the harassment, lies and GDPR breach reflects on the retailer.

And show a copy of the letters that mention ''at bailiffs'' which is actually a lie, because debt collectors are not bailiffs but this was caused you to (what? what has it done to your peace of mind? Don't tell us, tell the CEO of the retailers. Last week in Tesco I helped a crying lady about the same scam, and the CS desk lad took sympathy on her, but she was talking about self-harming as a result of this worry...).

I reckon people could easily be pushed that far or even further over the edge by parking firms. We've been saying this for years.

This is worse than one-off rogue car-clamping ever was, as there is no let up and the lies and aggressive litigation is just killing people's peace of mind.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 16-05-2019 at 7:40 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 16th May 19, 7:45 PM
    • 14,822 Posts
    • 17,080 Thanks
    KeithP
    ...I'm absolutely terrified at the thought of going to court.
    Originally posted by LanaDN
    Perhaps this short video will help with that...

• MistyZ
    • By MistyZ 16th May 19, 9:13 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    MistyZ
    I've been into the store twice and actually cried (how embarrassing!) to the floor supervisor the second time as the manager refused to come down from the office to speak to me about it - there doesn't seem to be an email address for that particular store. She reiterated that they deal with this all the time and that because there are so many PCNs that the woman she deals with at Smart would refuse to write them off.
    This whole process is designed to intimidate people into paying and dishonesty plays a big part in that. You were treated very poorly at the store and they seem to have been less than honest. The company does have the wherewithal to write them off.

The bailiff bit is particularly appalling. The very word scares the living daylights out of people. The PPC was definitely lying.

Great pointers from Coupon_mad. Really go for it with the email.
    • LanaDN
    • By LanaDN 19th May 19, 6:18 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    LanaDN
    Thank you both so much - I have sent the email to the CEO so fingers crossed. I genuinely have felt suicidal over this. I hope he is sympathetic and can see how desperate I am to get this resolved sooner rather than later.
    • MistyZ
    • By MistyZ 19th May 19, 8:48 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    MistyZ
    I hope he does the right thing & gets the PCNs cancelled. Please let us know what happens.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th May 19, 9:08 PM
    • 72,324 Posts
    • 84,631 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Thank you both so much - I have sent the email to the CEO so fingers crossed. I genuinely have felt suicidal over this. I hope he is sympathetic and can see how desperate I am to get this resolved sooner rather than later.
    I knew you might say that. Did you tell the CEO that you felt that way?

Parking firms ruin people's lives and peace of mind.

Anyone who works for one, or runs one, should be ASHAMED. This is not a job.

The industry needs to be completely banned so that no third parties can do this to anyone and only landowners can address any parking issues (which mostly, never even exist).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 19th May 19, 9:14 PM
    • 23,429 Posts
    • 37,356 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Have you been to see your GP over this? Have you been prescribed medication as a result? If so, can you get a note from him/her to confirm?

Send any evidence with a letter/email to get your MP and local press involved in helping to deal with this appalling treatment of an individual.

Sooner or later we are going to get a real human tragedy at the hands of those hell-bent on squeezing dry anyone in their sights.
    Please note, we are not a legal, residential or credit advice forum, rather one that helps motorists fight private parking charges, primarily at the 'front-end' of the process.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • LanaDN
    • By LanaDN 26th May 19, 8:13 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    LanaDN
    I did tell the CEO how this has made me feel. I went to see my GP last week and I'm now taking antidepressants to help me cope. I've been completely knocked off my feet due to the medication and can barely keep my eyes open to function.

The CEO replied (or some sort of manager did) and said that they require a copy of the letter from Smart Ltd as well as receipts or bank statements proving that we shopped there on that particular date. Even though I clearly stated in the email that there are multiple PCNs, he's talking as though there is just the one. I don't have proof in the form of receipts as it was so long ago, and there's nothing on bank statements either as cash is used when we shop there. I suppose all I can do is reply and say this but I doubt any action will be taken if I can't prove any purchases etc.
    • Ralph-y
    • By Ralph-y 26th May 19, 8:37 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    Ralph-y
    do you have a smart phone that might show frequent visits ?

do you have any if their branded / or / not able to buy products else where in you cupboards ?

friends and or family that will state that you do shop with them?

Ralph
    • MistyZ
    • By MistyZ 26th May 19, 9:28 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    MistyZ
    Good ideas from Ralph-y. Also, some ideas for how to reply:

'As I explained in my email, we used cash when shopping at B&M. In the time period covered by the PCNs we bought .... (list as many items as you can remember, plus an estimate of how frequently you bought the same things if this applies).

If cash is used because money is very tight and paying by cash is the best way to keep to a tight budget, then mention that.

Add 'As loyal customers of B&M we really hope that cash payments don't jeopardise the chances of cancellation as this would be extremely unfair'. Continue with something like 'Cancellation of the parking charges is now the only possible way of ending what has become a nightmare. As the Registered Keeper I am now suffering extreme anxiety as a result of the uncertainty and the fear of a court appearance. I am not sure how I would cope with the ordeal and am very concerned about the possibility of losing and having to pay large sums of money which I cannot afford.'

Possibly something like 'I have been prescribed strong anti-depressants but while they help in some ways they make life even more difficult in other ways. I cannot believe that all this has happened because of shopping at B&M'.

Again, I'm making assumptions. Just seriously want you to get these horrible things cancelled.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,574Posts Today

5,660Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin