Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 11th Apr 19, 12:00 PM
    • 140Posts
    • 9Thanks
    HappyUser
    Which is the best private healthcare?
    • 11th Apr 19, 12:00 PM
    Which is the best private healthcare? 11th Apr 19 at 12:00 PM
    Hello

I had a severe chest infection and my GP required an x-ray urgently. The hospital said the results will be ready in 1-4 weeks! The attitude I got from the GP secretaries was "that's how NHS works, cancer patients wait 2 weeks for their x-ray".

It seems people survive by pure luck with NHS. The less lucky go early and uncared.

Is there a private healthcare provider that is serious? I.e. not having to wait 8h to be seen at A&E? And provides wide range of care?

Also, how much should I expect to pay per month and is there a way that I don't pay the stupid NHS instead?

Thanks!
Page 2
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Apr 19, 2:32 PM
    • 22,082 Posts
    • 59,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    It’s good that the NHS works well in some areas but that isn’t the case all round the country unfortunately and it’s got nothing to do with whether you are genuinely unwell or not and more to do with the ratio of provision to population. In London we struggle to get an NHS GP appointment (despite one member of the family being severely disabled and two having diagnosed chronic health conditions) and therefore often rely on private top up care. Another family member living elsewhere in the UK had extremely poor cancer care to the extent she needed to access private care just to be made comfortable in her last few months. Having always believed that at least cancer care was top notch that came as a complete surprise to me - even when she was terminal with a very short predicted life expectancy and in considerable pain, the NHS was telling her to rely in OTC painkillers until she could have an appointment in clinic some weeks in the future. Private healthcare out her straight on morphine and made her comfortable at least.

Just because you’ve had good experiences in your area, doesn’t mean that this is universally available. If you are able to alleviate this because you can afford health insurance or to privately fund treatment, why wouldn’t you? What’s the merit in suffering needlessly? It’s those who can’t afford to top up who I really feel for.
    Originally posted by Nicki
    I appreciate that.
    I think the OP's post #13 left something to be desired.
    As did his description of anywhere outside London as "a hole in many aspects".
    I see nothing wrong in posters documenting their own opposite personal experiences of the NHS that contrast with the OP's own unfortunate experience.

Also, I'm not sure what relevance an almost 2 year old link has.
    But it might be reassuring to know that the UK scored higher in the rankings than the US.

One wonders if the OP had a serious accident who he would expect to attend to give potential life-saving medical care.
    Would he describe that care as 'hideous'?
    Last edited by Pollycat; 13-04-2019 at 2:58 PM.
    • Marcon
    • By Marcon 14th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 675 Thanks
    Marcon
    I think the OP's post #13 left something to be desired.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Could be why the board guide has deleted it.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Apr 19, 4:23 PM
    • 22,082 Posts
    • 59,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Could be why the board guide has deleted it.
    Originally posted by Marcon
    It's not been deleted.
    It's now post #12 so an earlier post must have been deleted.

ETA:
    Actually, a number of posts have been deleted, including one of mine where I detailed my own experience of x-rays in my local hospital.
    Last edited by Pollycat; 14-04-2019 at 4:27 PM.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 15th Apr 19, 9:39 AM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 879 Thanks
    fred246
    Has anyone else checked out the website for the private A&E? The staffing consists of one doctor and two nurses. The reviews suggest if the doctor is off the unit is closed. Not really suitable for any real accidents or emergencies. Don't really think they should be allowed to call themselves A&E.
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 16th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    HappyUser
    Not everything is either an accident and emergency or can wait 4 weeks.

Sometimes, e.g. when you have a bad cold, you need to see the doctor NOW. Not after 4 weeks. You probably won't die from it. But you need to rule out other things or receive instant advice if something worries you.

Having hit your leg, you can easily rest in the lounge for 6 hours. Being with fever and severe headache, you can't.

I don't see why it is so hard for you to understand.

Obviously if you have elevated cholesterol, you don't demand to be seen immediately. You can wait for weeks. But if you have a symptom that bothers you, like dizziness, headache, difficulty to breath, chest pain, fever, etc you need to be seen NOW. And waiting for 6h in the lounge is a BIG deal, when all you need is to be somewhere quiet and warm and have relief of your symptom.

I know some people don't get bad colds, but that does not give them the right to say 'you only have a cold, you don't need A&E'. For others, colds can be severe and there may be something that worries them, like wheezing or nausea, and it is very difficult to tell people in such condition to wait in the lounge of A&E for hours!

NHS is rubbish!
    Last edited by HappyUser; 16-04-2019 at 4:53 PM.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Apr 19, 5:07 PM
    • 22,082 Posts
    • 59,636 Thanks
    Pollycat

Sometimes, e.g. when you have a bad cold, you need to see the doctor NOW. Not after 4 weeks. You probably won't die from it. But you need to rule out other things or receive instant advice if something worries you.

Having hit your leg, you can easily rest in the lounge for 6 hours. Being with fever and severe headache, you can't.

Obviously if you have elevated cholesterol, you don't demand to be seen immediately. You can wait for weeks. But if you have a symptom that bothers you, like dizziness, headache, difficulty to breath, chest pain, fever, etc you need to be seen NOW. And waiting for 6h in the lounge is a BIG deal, when all you need is to be somewhere quiet and warm and have relief of your symptom.

I know some people don't get bad colds, but that does not give them the right to say 'you only have a cold, you don't need A&E'. For others, colds can be severe and there may be something that worries them, like wheezing or nausea, and it is very difficult to tell people in such condition to wait in the lounge of A&E for hours!

NHS is rubbish!
    Originally posted by HappyUser
    In your opinion.
    In your experience.
    Not mine.

As explained in my post that someone got deleted, I've recently had an operation. On the 'rubbish' (your terminology) NHS.
    The ante, during and post operation care I've received has been exceptional.

I've needed 3 x-rays in as many weeks
    My care team send an electronic request to our hospital.
    I ring up for an appointment. Within 7 days.
    My results are sent electronically back to the team.
    I had an x-ray on Thursday, the results were with my consultant ready for my appointment the following day.

Last week, the Imaging department didn't have any appointments but suggested that I turn up as near 09:00 as I could.
    I was there at 08:45 and was on my way out of the hospital by 09:05.

But I don't live in London.
    Perhaps you can explain your comment about 'anywhere outside London is a hole in many aspects'.
    If you mean it as a derogatory term, at least my experience of the NHS is superior to yours.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    • 6,157 Posts
    • 4,647 Thanks
    sheramber
    You seem to have jumped from waiting for an xray result to needing to be seen in A7E.

As far as I know A& E triage each arrival so anybody who needs urgent attention gets it and those who can wait do so. While you are waiting someone may be gravely ill and need life saving treatment involving all the available staff.

I took my husband to A&E when he was in severe pain 100miles from home.

He was seen immediately and ended up being admitted.

On another occasion we were referred to A & E by the Minor Injuries unit when he had severed a ligament in his hand. On that occasion we waited over an hour while more urgent cases were dealt with. No problem.

If you want somewhere warm and quiet then go to bed at home. Neither A & E nor a hospital ward are quiet.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    _shel

NHS is rubbish!
    How ridiculous are you needing to see a doctor with a cold bad or not!
    It's people like you that jam up appointments for those that actually need them.
    • HappyUser
    • By HappyUser 17th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    HappyUser
    It's people like you that jam up appointments for those that actually need them.
    Originally posted by _shel

what the, some colds are serious if you have underlying problems!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Apr 19, 8:46 AM
    • 22,082 Posts
    • 59,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    what the, some colds are serious if you have underlying problems!
    Then take the advice given in posts #6, #13 and #19.

And bear this in mind:
    You'll pay into the NHS even if you have health insurance and never use the NHS.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 17th Apr 19, 9:05 AM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 9,534 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    When one of my kids needed an operation I asked the Consultant about having it done privately and he said wouldn't as if there were complications "out of hours" he wouldn't want his child relying on junior staff with no senior back up. Just what I was told.

I don't have private health insurance, I generally find the NHS is excellent but when we were faced with a scan for one of my kids we just paid for that. I think it was £250 and just meant we got the reassurance faster which was worth it to us. So for private healthcare when the NHS involved a wait we have spent £250 in my 65 year life time for me DH and 4 kids. A bargain really. So my advice is that if you are just frustrated about a wait for x ray results then get the xray done privately.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 17th Apr 19, 10:28 AM
    • 22,082 Posts
    • 59,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I think if you have certain expectations of the NHS (whether they are realistic expectations or not) and they are not meeting your expectations, you have no alternative but to pay for the care you feel you need (or want) if you can afford to - always assuming that the care you want/expect actually exists anyway.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 19th Apr 19, 10:57 AM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    The rudeness of some people is quite surprising. My neighbour recently had a bad chest infection and had to go into hospital for a few days. A year ago I had a severe throat infection (it was painful to swallow and I couldnít sleep for a week). My voice became incredibly deep and after five weeks of coughing I saw my GP and had blood tests. It seemed like glandular fever but the blood test said not.

I banged my finger last year, after six weeks it was still sore, so I saw my GP, and she said immediately that it was broken. I was told to go to the local hospital at my convenience and get an x-ray, I think I went later that day, and waited 15 minutes. The radiographer said Iíd done a good job of destroying the joint. The finger was splinted for a month, but it still has a slight crook. Some of us donít go often enough to the doctor, and recently when I saw dots in my left eye, Iíd learnt my lesson before, so I did go to A&E, and I was examined to check for a detached retina. Fortunately it was okay. But some people with my issue, posterior vitreous detachment, do not see a doctor, and consequently lose their eyesight.

Whether or not someone needs to see a doctor varies, depending on underlying health, age, and the symptoms. When I was at A&E recently, there was a young man in a dreadful state, badly dressed, dirty, bruised face. I think he was a drug user. Very sad.

My experience is that the NHS is usually excellent but overused due to lack of funds. But it varies hugely. The hospital in Torquay where my mum died was in a dreadful state, the dirtiest toilets Iíve ever seen, dirty wards, very busy, but it served an aged population and struggled to cope.
    • ste_coxy
    • By ste_coxy 19th Apr 19, 12:39 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    ste_coxy
    I don't think they were being intentionally rude - if you read the OP's comments they range from insulting to people living outside of London to unncessarily selfish/self involved. I'm inclinded to agree with _shel that people shouldn't be using an A&E dept (clue is in the title here..) for minor things such as colds - they should only ever be used for emergencies - more and more people are using it as a way of jumping the queue to their GP as they are not prepared to wait. People these days are very "I want now.. me, me, me".

This is not to say waiting times for GP appointments are ridiculous.. because they are but this is to do with higher demand of health services and supply of capital has not been forthcoming to keep up! Whilst the Tory's are in power though this will not be resolved anytime soon.

Their expectations of the healthcare system need to be reigned in somewhat I feel. NHS does a brilliant job all things considered.

I would happily pay a further 2.5p in the pound if it went towards the NHS! Tory's don't have the backbone to raise taxes to their bread and butter supporters though.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 19, 1:01 PM
    • 22,082 Posts
    • 59,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I don't think they were being intentionally rude - if you read the OP's comments they range from insulting to people living outside of London to unncessarily selfish/self involved. I'm inclinded to agree with _shel that people shouldn't be using an A&E dept (clue is in the title here..) for minor things such as colds - they should only ever be used for emergencies - more and more people are using it as a way of jumping the queue to their GP as they are not prepared to wait. People these days are very "I want now.. me, me, me".

This is not to say waiting times for GP appointments are ridiculous.. because they are but this is to do with higher demand of health services and supply of capital has not been forthcoming to keep up! Whilst the Tory's are in power though this will not be resolved anytime soon.

Their expectations of the healthcare system need to be reigned in somewhat I feel. NHS does a brilliant job all things considered.

I would happily pay a further 2.5p in the pound if it went towards the NHS! Tory's don't have the backbone to raise taxes to their bread and butter supporters though.
    Originally posted by ste_coxy
    +1 to this ^^^^>

@ BananaRepublic
    Just curious - do you think the OP's expectations of the NHS expressed in post #4 are reasonable?
    • _shel
    • By _shel 19th Apr 19, 3:57 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    _shel
    +2 thanks very much for explaining ❤️
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 19th Apr 19, 4:36 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    +1 to this ^^^^>

@ BananaRepublic
    Just curious - do you think the OP's expectations of the NHS expressed in post #4 are reasonable?
    My late motherís experiences were awful. When she lost her the use of her legs, she was on a stretcher in a corridor for many many hours. When she was dying, and she said her bowel had burst, the consultant said nonsense, sheíd be in far worse pain. She was on oral morphine. But when I first saw her, Iíd never seen someone in such pain, and mum was not a complainer. Arguing with a consultant surrounded by adoring junior doctors was scary. Most people would not have the confidence to do that. I didnít. When she went in for major surgery, they discovered a burst bowel, and she died of septecaemia. I still think the NHS is brilliant, but it is underfunded, and mumís hospital was dirty and some staff were grossly rude. I do think the consultant did his best in the circumstances, but had mum been royalty, you can bet sheíd be alive and well today. Because they would have taken more time.

Asking if you need to wait six hours is not being rude or unreasonable. Sadly that is how the NHS is. I still think some people here are too ready to put others down. But hey, this is the last internet, being rude is the norm isnít it?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Apr 19, 5:05 PM
    • 22,082 Posts
    • 59,636 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My late motherís experiences were awful. When she lost her the use of her legs, she was on a stretcher in a corridor for many many hours. When she was dying, and she said her bowel had burst, the consultant said nonsense, sheíd be in far worse pain. She was on oral morphine. But when I first saw her, Iíd never seen someone in such pain, and mum was not a complainer. Arguing with a consultant surrounded by adoring junior doctors was scary. Most people would not have the confidence to do that. I didnít. When she went in for major surgery, they discovered a burst bowel, and she died of septecaemia. I still think the NHS is brilliant, but it is underfunded, and mumís hospital was dirty and some staff were grossly rude. I do think the consultant did his best in the circumstances, but had mum been royalty, you can bet sheíd be alive and well today. Because they would have taken more time.

Asking if you need to wait six hours is not being rude or unreasonable. Sadly that is how the NHS is. I still think some people here are too ready to put others down. But hey, this is the last internet, being rude is the norm isnít it?
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    You've written quite a lot but still not managed to answer my question...
    Never mind.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 19th Apr 19, 5:10 PM
    • 1,329 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    You've written quite a lot but still not managed to answer my question...
    Never mind.
    I answered your question. I donít think a six hour wait is reasonable. Now you can get back to kicking the OP with the others.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 19th Apr 19, 5:29 PM
    • 1,881 Posts
    • 4,061 Thanks
    happyandcontented

Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    I had a similar experience with both my parents. It is something that stays with you and has coloured my view of the NHS. All of us can only speak from our personal experiences and although the NHS does try hard, it is underfunded and bureaucratically cumbersome, often to the detriment of patient care.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,439Posts Today

4,101Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin