Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 11th Apr 19, 8:05 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 74Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    First Direct - Rubbish New Logon Screen
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:05 AM
    First Direct - Rubbish New Logon Screen 11th Apr 19 at 8:05 AM
    One of the few plusses of the just-replaced First Direct interface was that when you logged on, the interface was in a resized window popped above the remaining browser tabs. This enabled you to view the First Direct page with everything else behind, but still visible. No longer! Now the interface is full page, not resizable, and so you can't float the window across the screen (unless there's some hidden way of doing this). Why do these clowns always have to make things worse.
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 11th Apr 19, 8:21 AM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 4,215 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:21 AM
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:21 AM
    Popups are so 1990s now browsers have tabbed interfaces you can still switch between sites without the clutter of multiple windows.
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 11th Apr 19, 8:25 AM
    • 8,780 Posts
    • 108,111 Thanks
    karlie88
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:25 AM
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:25 AM
    First Direct were in the minority - pretty much all other banks have a full size window on online banking. One of the first things I used to do was maximise the new window with FD.

Personally, I'm glad they've made the change.

First world problems....
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 11th Apr 19, 8:40 AM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 6,955 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:40 AM
    • 11th Apr 19, 8:40 AM
    I was quite encouraged when I saw the full screen tab, I've always found the teensy weeny popup faintly ridiculous especially on a large monitor. I was a bit disappointed to see that the full width has not been used, just a large expanse of black. On balance a thumbs up from me but it still looks like online banking designed in the 1950s
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 11th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    • 11th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    • 11th Apr 19, 10:01 AM
    Personally, I always hated the stupid little pop-up that came up with no menu bar or toolbar, and which I always had to resize to fit everything into.

The new version is much better for me, even if it does wrap the last character of my username in the left-hand pane.

I've never liked tabs in browsers. They always seem like a throwback to Windows 3.0/3.1's MDI interface. I still prefer separate browser windows for each page I have open.
    • lr1277
    • By lr1277 11th Apr 19, 10:10 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 320 Thanks
    lr1277
    • 11th Apr 19, 10:10 AM
    • 11th Apr 19, 10:10 AM
    I open the FD website in a different/new browser. Once I have logged in, I have resized the browser to meet my requirements. Works for me.
    • Shedman
    • By Shedman 11th Apr 19, 5:23 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Shedman
    • 11th Apr 19, 5:23 PM
    • 11th Apr 19, 5:23 PM

The new version is much better for me, even if it does wrap the last character of my username in the left-hand panel
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    Mine does the same except in my case it's 4 characters that wrap around. Just looks so amateurish. Didn't the developers get someone to check the database of usernames to see what maximum lengths of them were and then design that screen to at least fit 90% of them onto one line rather using that ridiculously large font.

EDIT: In fact wouldn't it be better, rather than the screen saying Hello Username, that it used your preferred designator and said Hello Fred or Hello Mr Smith instead and make it seem more personal.
    Last edited by Shedman; 11-04-2019 at 5:51 PM.
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 12th Apr 19, 3:12 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    • 12th Apr 19, 3:12 PM
    • 12th Apr 19, 3:12 PM
    I was quite encouraged when I saw the full screen tab, I've always found the teensy weeny popup faintly ridiculous especially on a large monitor. I was a bit disappointed to see that the full width has not been used, just a large expanse of black. On balance a thumbs up from me but it still looks like online banking designed in the 1950s
    Originally posted by ColdIron

That is the point: they've made it full screen, but the content is all up in the top left corner, so it might as well be in a floating window anyway. There is absolutely no point in what they've done.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 12th Apr 19, 3:30 PM
    • 5,119 Posts
    • 6,955 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 12th Apr 19, 3:30 PM
    • 12th Apr 19, 3:30 PM
    If you look at the statements of your accounts they do make better use of the extra height afforded by the full tab dimensions. You see more without having to scroll

I use my 1st Account so little I can't recall with certainty but it is my recollection that if you manually resized the little boxy window it did not use any more of the increased depth so grids or lists such as statements just had extra black at the bottom

An improvement in my book, but I'm not going to die in a ditch to defend it
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 12th Apr 19, 3:44 PM
    • 3,458 Posts
    • 3,917 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Look on the bright side - at least they finally changed something meaningfully for the first time since at least 2008.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • pmjenkins
    • By pmjenkins 12th Apr 19, 6:42 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    pmjenkins
    Now the interface is full page, not resizable, and so you can't float the window across the screen (unless there's some hidden way of doing this)
    Originally posted by johnsmith1890

If you drag the new tab away from the browser you should get the new page displayed in its own window.
    • johnsmith1890
    • By johnsmith1890 13th Apr 19, 7:02 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    johnsmith1890
    If you drag the new tab away from the browser you should get the new page displayed in its own window.
    Originally posted by pmjenkins

Spot on! Thanks. Basic stuff, but I have to admit I didn't know you could so that.
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 14th Apr 19, 8:17 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    Really? I think the new logon is a lot better.
    2019 1st Quarter Home Deposit Savings saved: 35,000
    Pension saved: 9800
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 14th Apr 19, 11:26 AM
    • 6,180 Posts
    • 5,617 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Really? I think the new logon is a lot better.
    Originally posted by 20SmthngSver

It's still horrid compared to all the other online banks I use (Barclays, TSB, NAB, Santander etc). I think it's the big blocks of black and white that does it for me, it's simply hard on the eyes.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • 20SmthngSver
    • By 20SmthngSver 14th Apr 19, 5:37 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    20SmthngSver
    It's still horrid compared to all the other online banks I use (Barclays, TSB, NAB, Santander etc). I think it's the big blocks of black and white that does it for me, it's simply hard on the eyes.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    Oh yeah I agree it looks old fashioned still. But I think it's better than the pop up window.

For me the best ones are Santander and Nationwide. Tesco Bank's is quite good too.
    2019 1st Quarter Home Deposit Savings saved: 35,000
    Pension saved: 9800
    • colin79666
    • By colin79666 16th Apr 19, 9:32 AM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    colin79666
    The old logon page is still here for now: https://www1.firstdirect.com/1/2/pib-service
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,419Posts Today

4,341Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin