Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackCork
    • By JackCork 10th Apr 19, 10:22 PM
    • 114Posts
    • 78Thanks
    JackCork
    As a child , where did your family do their shopping?
    • 10th Apr 19, 10:22 PM
    As a child , where did your family do their shopping? 10th Apr 19 at 10:22 PM
    For mine - mainly Tesco.
Page 2
    • z1a
    • By z1a 12th Apr 19, 5:04 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 2,020 Thanks
    z1a
    Co op and the market.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Apr 19, 11:38 PM
    • 3,832 Posts
    • 22,549 Thanks
    JIL
    My mum used to insist my dad drive her 9 miles to the next town to a shop named shoppers paradise. It was hell, everything was in boxes. She would buy the same things, week after week.
    I was so grateful when my mum got a part time job in littlewoods foodhall and suddenly she started buying proper cheese, bacon, sausage and pies.
    • Bettie
    • By Bettie 13th Apr 19, 2:08 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 1,230 Thanks
    Bettie
    We didn't have a fridge until 1963.
    Originally posted by Jackmydad
    I can't remember what year our first fridge was. a similar time to yours. Ours was a gas one.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 13th Apr 19, 10:53 PM
    • 10,852 Posts
    • 20,472 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I can only remember Safeway- there was a big new branch built near us when I was little. It’s now Morrisons I think. We had no access to Tesco or Asda- they were only for people with cars which we didn’t have.
    We moved house when I was a teenager and then all of a sudden we were spoilt for choice- the Tesco and Asda that had previously been so out of reach were now only one Metro stop away and there was a Co-op and a Kwik Save just round the corner (The Kwik Save is now a small Asda and there’s an Aldi nearby as well)
    Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate; MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10/18, BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and DE100.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018 Our Civil Partnership planned for 15/02/20
    Miss you always JV
    Elle
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 15th Apr 19, 5:53 PM
    • 3,958 Posts
    • 7,473 Thanks
    culpepper
    Local shops. Co-op and the butchers(with sawdust on floor), green grocers and paper shop. I think there was a fish mongers too and a guy that mended shoes and leather bags (his shop smelled mostly of araldite). We had 2 newspaper shops and a toy shop with sweets in the window in huge jars.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 15th Apr 19, 8:05 PM
    • 13,406 Posts
    • 18,571 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Local shops for some stuff, sometimes a Fine Fare supermarket (anyone else remember them? Or is it just me?)
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 15th Apr 19, 10:01 PM
    • 15,975 Posts
    • 133,122 Thanks
    zagubov
    As we were central Scotland, it was supermarkets like Cochranes and Galbraiths (which I think later merged with each other) and Templeton's and Fine Fare. More rarely it would be a Safeways which were giant supermarkets but few and far between.

Wm Lows was another but more on the eastern coast.

There were convenience stores everywhere like VG, Mace and Spar, but not good for a weekly shop.

I remember that buying a freezer totally changed your buying habits.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 17th Apr 19, 7:13 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 2,981 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    Local shops for some stuff, sometimes a Fine Fare supermarket (anyone else remember them? Or is it just me?)
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    We had a Fine Fare at our local shops. Next to the CoOp.
    Xmas 2019 #21 93 / 365 * (2017 496.53; 2016 424.32) * SPCNo.12 #66 (11 480.95; 10 682.31; 9 442.64)
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 18th Apr 19, 10:10 PM
    • 2,991 Posts
    • 58,028 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    As we were central Scotland, it was supermarkets like Cochranes and Galbraiths (which I think later merged with each other) and Templeton's and Fine Fare. More rarely it would be a Safeways which were giant supermarkets but few and far between.

Wm Lows was another but more on the eastern coast.

There were convenience stores everywhere like VG, Mace and Spar, but not good for a weekly shop.

I remember that buying a freezer totally changed your buying habits.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    Galbraith and Templetons - that brought back memories Fine fare was another one about 12 miles away and there was the Pik and Save which seemed to be bulk buckets of dried foods like cereal. We had a Woolco not too far away and it was a rare treat to get a trip there. It seemed absolutely massive and so exotic. Something makes me think it was owned by Walmart - must google it!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • FluffityBunny
    • By FluffityBunny 18th Apr 19, 10:35 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    FluffityBunny
    Presto and Fine Fayre, and if my mum had some extra cash then it was a trip to Liptons
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,992Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin