Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 9th Apr 19, 10:53 AM
    • 245Posts
    • 61Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    0 WOW
    Debenhams falls into administration - MSE News
    • 9th Apr 19, 10:53 AM
    0 WOW
    Debenhams falls into administration - MSE News 9th Apr 19 at 10:53 AM
    Debenham's has fallen into administration, and its lenders have taken control of the company...
    Read the full story:
    'Debenhams falls into administration - what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Makeandsave
    • By Makeandsave 9th Apr 19, 11:04 AM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 33,158 Thanks
    Makeandsave
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:04 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:04 AM
    I spent my £90 last week my mate had £16 left on a gift card he got from parkchristmassavings. Hopefully they will accept the gift cards.
    June wins: £10 winneroo, 2 wristbands gin, LaRedouteUK espadrilles. 3 packs of pens staedtler.
    • Super Stomper
    • By Super Stomper 9th Apr 19, 11:42 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Super Stomper
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:42 AM
    Debenhams Credit Card
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:42 AM
    It would be nice to know what will happen about my Debenhams Credit Card which is run by NewDay. I can use it anywhere, not just in Debenhams, to claim rewards points....to spend in Debenhams! I'm guessing the rewards won't be acceptable anymore, LOL. Luckily they aren't worth much (but it was better that Halifax who simply deleted any rewards I'd accrued if they didn't get to a certain value).
    I have stopped using it for now and assume that it will have to be replaced in the long term. Perhaps NewDay will offer me one of their own.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    • 34,381 Posts
    • 21,736 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    It would be nice to know what will happen about my Debenhams Credit Card which is run by NewDay. I can use it anywhere, not just in Debenhams, to claim rewards points....to spend in Debenhams! I'm guessing the rewards won't be acceptable anymore, LOL. Luckily they aren't worth much (but it was better that Halifax who simply deleted any rewards I'd accrued if they didn't get to a certain value).
    I have stopped using it for now and assume that it will have to be replaced in the long term. Perhaps NewDay will offer me one of their own.
    Originally posted by Super Stomper
    Ask Newday if the points will be accepted in store.

If it were me Id get them spent asap.

Debenhams has been around for years, just like bhs was before that went up the creek.
    It unfortunately didnt change with the times.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 09-04-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    • 34,381 Posts
    • 21,736 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:05 PM
    I spent my £90 last week my mate had £16 left on a gift card he got from parkchristmassavings. Hopefully they will accept the gift cards.
    Originally posted by Makeandsave
    Have you read the link ?
    It will reveal some information.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 9th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 10,467 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    Ask Newday if the points will be accepted in store.

If it were me Id get them spent asap.

Debenhams has been around for years, just like bhs was before that went up the creek.
    It unfortunately didnt change with the times.
    Originally posted by DCFC79

The one I have the points build up and you get a voucher quarterly, Mine is due sometime in April. So will we get the voucher and will we still be able to spend it. Going to try not to use this card now, need to find another alternative cashback card. Shame I got 3% back on Debenhams spend and 0.5% elsewhere to spend as vouchers.
    • Super Stomper
    • By Super Stomper 9th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Super Stomper
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    The one I have the points build up and you get a voucher quarterly, Mine is due sometime in April. So will we get the voucher and will we still be able to spend it. Going to try not to use this card now, need to find another alternative cashback card. Shame I got 3% back on Debenhams spend and 0.5% elsewhere to spend as vouchers.
    Originally posted by SuiDreams

Yes, mine's the same. I've currently got a £2 voucher to spend in Debenhams, but I'm not sure when the next voucher is due.
    • SuiDreams
    • By SuiDreams 9th Apr 19, 2:02 PM
    • 2,352 Posts
    • 10,467 Thanks
    SuiDreams
    • 9th Apr 19, 2:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 2:02 PM
    Yes, mine's the same. I've currently got a £2 voucher to spend in Debenhams, but I'm not sure when the next voucher is due.

If you look at your PDF statement online under the points accrued box there is a note in the small print about when next vouchers are due. Mine is due April, but I have £12 worth of points.

Not going to use the card anymore until its confirmed if cashback is safe, no point accruing cashback I won't get. Just applied for Tandem card which gives 0.5% cashback as back up to my Amex.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 9th Apr 19, 2:15 PM
    • 12,269 Posts
    • 26,998 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    • 9th Apr 19, 2:15 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 2:15 PM
    On the website it says that you can shop in confidence as all orders refunds and gift cards will be fully honoured.

Glad to hear it as I have a gift card for £46.00.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 9th Apr 19, 2:19 PM
    • 12,269 Posts
    • 26,998 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    In the link it states they will continue.
    • Lucyjoanne
    • By Lucyjoanne 9th Apr 19, 5:22 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Lucyjoanne
    I’m guessing new day will transfer you to a card of their own, as they only supply the card and credit that Debenhams sells. They’ll also offer you a chance to cancel your card. There’s a helpline on the card, or on your account website.

As for the vouchers with your statements, they usually have a ‘use-by date’ that is a few months, so customers usually use them in that time, and I can’t see Debenhams refusing to accept them, or going under in such a short time,
    • clairenw
    • By clairenw 10th Apr 19, 12:31 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    clairenw
    Debenhams car insurance
    I have just taken out car insurance with Debenhams. Will the insurance still stand for the rest of the 12 months?
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Apr 19, 1:23 PM
    • 12,269 Posts
    • 26,998 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I’m guessing new day will transfer you to a card of their own, as they only supply the card and credit that Debenhams sells. They’ll also offer you a chance to cancel your card. There’s a helpline on the card, or on your account website.

As for the vouchers with your statements, they usually have a ‘use-by date’ that is a few months, so customers usually use them in that time, and I can’t see Debenhams refusing to accept them, or going under in such a short time,
    Originally posted by Lucyjoanne
    I used my reward voucher, e gift voucher and my card with no problem yesterday.

It would appear, at least for the time being that nothing has actually changed other than the ownership of Debenhams.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 13th Apr 19, 7:42 PM
    • 20,740 Posts
    • 15,009 Thanks
    molerat
    My granddaughter applied for, and was offered, part time uni jobs at both Debenhams and Primark, luckily she chose the right one
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 13th Apr 19, 9:01 PM
    • 9,574 Posts
    • 11,551 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    only the Company [Debenhams plc] (which was the Group’s top holding company) is in administration - the Group’s operating companies, including Debenhams Retail Ltd and Magasin Du Nord, continue to trade as normal. The Group’s commercial relationships with suppliers, employees, pension and customers are all with the operating companies.
    https://ir.debenhams.com/

In the short term it appears that things are carrying on as normal. In the longer term, who knows...
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 14th Apr 19, 2:42 PM
    • 34,381 Posts
    • 21,736 Thanks
    DCFC79
    I have just taken out car insurance with Debenhams. Will the insurance still stand for the rest of the 12 months?
    Originally posted by clairenw

You will be fine, Debenhams wont actually themselves provide the cover, if you read your policy or cover notice it will say who the policy is underwritten by, yours will be the same.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 27th Apr 19, 7:38 PM
    • 5,087 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    Alexland
    Just wondering if they will still replace our "bag for life" when it becomes worn out?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,697Posts Today

6,781Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin