Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robyn1
    • By robyn1 9th Apr 19, 10:46 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    robyn1
    Should I replace both coil springs?
    • 9th Apr 19, 10:46 AM
    Should I replace both coil springs? 9th Apr 19 at 10:46 AM
    Hey! Iím having my car fixed as I hit a speed bump and busted my coil spring in my front drivers side. The car is only 3 years only and only has 20,000 miles on it. The mechanic was surprised the coil spring was broke as he said they wouldnít break naturally with the car being so young and having such little miles on it.

So my question is, should I replace both? Iíve read online that it is recommended both be replaced at the same time, but I assume this means when it breaks through them being old. Where as mine was broke through me hitting a speed ramp at 35mph at least. Although even still, would the other need replaced? Would it be worth while to replace the other one to? Will it break within the next few months if I donít replace it? Thanks
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Apr 19, 11:07 AM
    • 21,796 Posts
    • 20,511 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:07 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:07 AM
    It might, it might not. Nearside usually gets a harder time because of potholes and drainage covers, as well as kerbing, but if you do go and do daft things like hit speedbumps at 35mph...
    • robyn1
    • By robyn1 9th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    robyn1
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    Obviously I didn’t mean to his the speed bump a 35mph lol! The arrows where worn of the speed bump plus it was nighttime so I literally just didn’t notice it until I’d already hit it, heard a bit of a bang and then every time I went over a speed ramp it was making a clunky noise on one side.. probably careless but a complete accident
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Apr 19, 11:15 AM
    • 21,796 Posts
    • 20,511 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:15 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:15 AM
    Have you considered putting your headlamps on?
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 9th Apr 19, 11:16 AM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:16 AM
    • 9th Apr 19, 11:16 AM
    If was that one impact that caused the spring to (presumably) bottom out and snap I would suggest getting a decent inspection of the other suspension components to ensure they are not also damaged.

As for replacing the other spring... I probably would. For a relatively small cost you will have peace of mind.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 9th Apr 19, 12:15 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:15 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 12:15 PM
    I'd just do the one spring unless they found something amiss during the inspection. changing two springs will be twice the cost, so you're not saving money by getting them done at the same time. The other spring is probably fine.
    • macman
    • By macman 9th Apr 19, 1:03 PM
    • 43,239 Posts
    • 18,409 Thanks
    macman
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:03 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:03 PM
    What does your mechanic advise?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    • 3,446 Posts
    • 4,644 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 1:12 PM
    I had a nearside spring go just over a year ago after hitting a tiny pothole - it went with a massive bang at the time and the car was immediately undriveable. The damage must have occurred much earlier and that one small bump was enough to break it. I was fortunate it happened at low speed less than a mile from home and my local garage. My mechanic changed the spring and took a precautionary look at the other side, it looked fine and has been fine since. Best get it checked because you hit a speed hump with both front wheels? A good mechanic should have checked for you anyway.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 9th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    • 2,583 Posts
    • 3,434 Thanks
    Robisere
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:07 PM
    If was that one impact that caused the spring to (presumably) bottom out and snap I would suggest getting a decent inspection of the other suspension components to ensure they are not also damaged.

As for replacing the other spring... I probably would. For a relatively small cost you will have peace of mind.
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    As we are not told what car make/model, we cannot say how much for both springs.
    OP, have you already had one spring replaced, or are you waiting to have that done? Ask for an inspection first and if the other spring is worn or damaged, having both done at the same time is obviously more economical. Although, at 20K miles, I doubt the other spring is damaged. Did you strike the speed bump with one side only?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 10th Apr 19, 6:35 AM
    • 1,024 Posts
    • 653 Thanks
    wgl2014
    As we are not told what car make/model, we cannot say how much for both springs.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    Fair point however for most common cars the actual spring is not an expensive item (getting them fitted on the other hand ......)
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 10th Apr 19, 6:46 AM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 2,352 Thanks
    Richard53
    I had a spring break and replaced both front springs on the basis that if one has gone the other won't be far behind. I was glad I did, as the front of the car was a good 1" higher with the new ones, so just replacing one would have left the car lopsided. But that was a 10-year-old car. With a newer car I probably would just do the one side, but have the whole suspension checked in any case while the car was on a ramp.
    Last edited by Richard53; 18-04-2019 at 9:16 AM.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 10th Apr 19, 9:08 AM
    • 389 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    Takmon
    Fair point however for most common cars the actual spring is not an expensive item (getting them fitted on the other hand ......)
    Originally posted by wgl2014
    It all depends on where you go to get them fitted and having a trusted good value garage is always a good idea.

Last year i needed both my front strut top bearings replaced and had some spring covers fitted (which required removal and refitting of the springs). The labour cost was £50.

So it really is worth replacing both side just so you know they are the same. If you have genuine springs on your car and then replace one of them with an aftermarket one it can have a slightly different length/spring rate which will be different than the other one. Even a genuine one which is manufactured years later with a different batch of material can have different characteristics.

This probably won't make much difference in everyday driving but i like to know my car will perform well in extreme conditions just in case i ever need it to.
    • jeradon
    • By jeradon 16th Apr 19, 7:22 AM
    • 51 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    jeradon
    Not mandatory but replacing both coil springs is a better idea.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 16th Apr 19, 9:00 AM
    • 553 Posts
    • 996 Thanks
    bigisi
    Not mandatory but replacing both coil springs is a better idea.
    Originally posted by jeradon
    So helpful to wade in over a week later and say the same thing everyone else has. Yay you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

38Posts Today

1,316Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin