Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Economic
    • By Economic 9th Apr 19, 9:47 AM
    • 463Posts
    • 481Thanks
    Economic
    Interactive Investor to roll out ‘Netflix pricing’
    • 9th Apr 19, 9:47 AM
    Interactive Investor to roll out ‘Netflix pricing’ 9th Apr 19 at 9:47 AM
    Interactive Investor to roll out ‘Netflix pricing’
    https://www.ft.com/content/c9b7bd14-57b0-11e9-91f9-b6515a54c5b1
Page 4
    • astreix
    • By astreix 12th Apr 19, 1:46 PM
    • 211 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    astreix
    Is any other platform cheaper than Interactive Investor for someone with a large portfolio (UK and international stocks, funds, investment trust, VCT). I'm a buy and hold investor so tend to trade infrequently and usually only to invest yearly ISA / SIPP contribution.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 12th Apr 19, 1:50 PM
    • 20,081 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    Lokolo
    iWeb may be cheaper for yourself. For me, there is very little difference. I gained a decent reduction in fees moving from CSD, but a lot of this will be gone with ii's price increase.

My charges with CSD would be Ł385. Moved to ii and got them down to Ł260. Now they are going up to Ł320. The benefit of the fixed fee is that as I increase my holding Ł, the actual % cost will reduce.

Moving to iWeb I could get fees down to Ł250. But I can see myself transferring, then a month later iWeb announcing price increases.
    • inflationbuster
    • By inflationbuster 12th Apr 19, 3:13 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    inflationbuster
    These are crazy prices at least l get some entertainment on Netflix II doesn't do much more than iWeb for me. Unfortunately no choice to stick around as fully invested at the moment but the new pricing sucks.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 12th Apr 19, 3:54 PM
    • 795 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    TBC15
    It’s a little off that the punter with II finds out first via forums and other media. Bit like the wife is last to know. Surely the client should be first to know?
    • masonic
    • By masonic 12th Apr 19, 4:59 PM
    • 11,556 Posts
    • 9,197 Thanks
    masonic
    It’s a little off that the punter with II finds out first via forums and other media. Bit like the wife is last to know. Surely the client should be first to know?
    Originally posted by TBC15
    I found out here first that TSB was cutting its rate, and Tesco for that matter, and a myriad of other accounts being changed or pulled are usually discussed here before notifications are published or communicated to customers.
    • triplea35
    • By triplea35 15th Apr 19, 8:41 AM
    • 246 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    triplea35
    Any idea what will happen to Trading Credits remaining on the current pricing structure when the new fees come into place in June?
    • shinytop
    • By shinytop 15th Apr 19, 8:58 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    shinytop
    Is any other platform cheaper than Interactive Investor for someone with a large portfolio (UK and international stocks, funds, investment trust, VCT). I'm a buy and hold investor so tend to trade infrequently and usually only to invest yearly ISA / SIPP contribution.
    Originally posted by astreix
    I don't know but I did a lot of research and chose II. It wasn't the cheapest but looked good value for my needs and did what I wanted it to do. I don't think the recent price changes have changed that.
    • jamei305
    • By jamei305 15th Apr 19, 9:32 AM
    • 378 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    jamei305
    I am intending to open an II account soon and this won't change that. I already have one with iWeb and am looking for some platform diversification, and II still comes out cheapest after iWeb.

I suppose one good thing about them increasing fees is it's now a known quantity and that they hopefully won't announce a much bigger increase any time soon having already decided on their new pricing structure. Cheap providers that haven't changed their fees in a long time are more likely to announce an increase that would make the uncompetitive for some people.
    Last edited by jamei305; 15-04-2019 at 9:36 AM.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 15th Apr 19, 10:57 AM
    • 12,938 Posts
    • 8,871 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I
    I suppose one good thing about them increasing fees is it's now a known quantity and that they hopefully won't announce a much bigger increase any time soon having already decided on their new pricing structure.
    Originally posted by jamei305

Maybe, but there have been a number of 'sneak' increases since they took over TD. For instance, the cost of a trade in Europe (or anywhere other than UK and USA) doubled recently; trading costs apply to Mutual Funds/Unit Trusts as well as shares and ETFs (which really hits me since I still hold a number of Luxemburg-based Funds); the fee for currency exchange went from 1 per cent to 1.5 per cent. These were not announced but basically just happened.
    • Economic
    • By Economic 15th Apr 19, 1:17 PM
    • 463 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Economic
    Any idea what will happen to Trading Credits remaining on the current pricing structure when the new fees come into place in June?
    Originally posted by triplea35
    What will happen to my existing free credit that I haven’t used yet?

Your existing free credit will stay on your Plan until 31 December 2019. If it is not used, after this date it will expire. You can see your unused credits at any time online (on your account overview page, and you can click ‘Credits overview’ for a more detailed breakdown).
    https://www.ii.co.uk/service-plans/investor/faqs#18
    • tg99
    • By tg99 15th Apr 19, 4:08 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    tg99
    Got my notification of the price increase from 1 June today. Are they going to take a Ł15 payment in early June to cover April/May (i.e. two months of existing Ł22.50 per quarter rate) and then the first Ł9.99 per month fee (if you are on the core plan) will be collected in early July (to cover June) and so on?
    • triplea35
    • By triplea35 15th Apr 19, 4:54 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    triplea35
    Got my notification of the price increase from 1 June today. Are they going to take a Ł15 payment in early June to cover April/May (i.e. two months of existing Ł22.50 per quarter rate) and then the first Ł9.99 per month fee (if you are on the core plan) will be collected in early July (to cover June) and so on?
    Originally posted by tg99
    I believe the payments are made in advance. If made a payment in April, Ł7.50 refund in June, and if paid in May a Ł15 refund in June.

Economics link above very useful!
    • tg99
    • By tg99 15th Apr 19, 5:24 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    tg99
    What will happen to my existing free credit that I haven’t used yet?

Your existing free credit will stay on your Plan until 31 December 2019. If it is not used, after this date it will expire. You can see your unused credits at any time online (on your account overview page, and you can click ‘Credits overview’ for a more detailed breakdown).
    https://www.ii.co.uk/service-plans/investor/faqs#18
    Originally posted by Economic
    Wonder if they will allow you to select which credits to use or try and default you to use the existing free credit (from the old plan) first even though it will have a later expiry date than the first few months of Ł7.99 monthly credits received under the new plan.
    • masonic
    • By masonic 15th Apr 19, 5:37 PM
    • 11,556 Posts
    • 9,197 Thanks
    masonic
    Wonder if they will allow you to select which credits to use or try and default you to use the existing free credit (from the old plan) first even though it will have a later expiry date than the first few months of Ł7.99 monthly credits received under the new plan.
    Originally posted by tg99
    They will almost certainly use the credits in the order they were received.
    • Notsop
    • By Notsop 15th Apr 19, 8:00 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Notsop
    Have 5k in an ii isa in vls80. Time to move it over to vanguard itself I think, and top up there when moved.

There comes a time when pricing policy drives away customers
    • Sean473
    • By Sean473 15th Apr 19, 11:10 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Sean473
    Have 5k in an ii isa in vls80. Time to move it over to vanguard itself I think, and top up there when moved.

There comes a time when pricing policy drives away customers
    Originally posted by Notsop
    You should have moved it ages ago... Vanguard would have been way cheaper with such a small amount.. Do it ASAP
    • DiamondLil
    • By DiamondLil 17th Apr 19, 8:51 AM
    • 252 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    DiamondLil
    I received the II charges email yesterday. So mine and husband's combined charges have risen from Ł80 per year to Ł240 over the five years since we transferred in.

Now looking at iweb and Halifax Sharedealing as cheaper alternatives.
    Am I missing something with iweb ? Just a one-off fee of Ł25 and no further costs other than a maximum Ł5 dealing fee ?

Apologies if I'm being particularly thick.
    • aroominyork
    • By aroominyork 17th Apr 19, 9:46 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    aroominyork
    I just asked ii whether they can take fees from the balance on my accounts in future, instead of by direct debit. They can, but only from my ISA and not from SIPP. If they could take it from SIPP there would be a tax benefit but taking it from ISA causes a tax loss, so I'll leave it as direct debit.
    • cattie
    • By cattie 17th Apr 19, 10:50 AM
    • 7,888 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    cattie
    Now looking at iweb and Halifax Sharedealing as cheaper alternatives.
    Am I missing something with iweb ? Just a one-off fee of Ł25 and no further costs other than a maximum Ł5 dealing fee ?

Apologies if I'm being particularly thick.
    Originally posted by DiamondLil
    I understand those are the only fees iweb currently charge apart from any ongoing service charges to fund managers. My transfer is underway & to give iweb their due, they send me text messages keeping me updated as to what stage things are at.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
    • aroominyork
    • By aroominyork 17th Apr 19, 3:29 PM
    • 830 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    aroominyork
    If you move on ii's Funds plan it works out cheaper than the current Ł22.50 pq if you make 17+ trades a year and don't let the trading credits lapse. I have ten funds/ITs with them, so if I add funds twice a year and do some rebalancing or change the funds I hold, it might work out cheaper. However the current non-expiring trading credits max of Ł90 (which makes nine trades) is changing to a three month expiry period which brings down the max credits you can hold to Ł24 (six trades).

PS. 17 fund trades is also the point where it works out cheaper to be on Funds Fan than Investor. For fewer than 17 Investor works out cheaper.
    Last edited by aroominyork; 17-04-2019 at 3:36 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

38Posts Today

1,316Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin