Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: For those aged 26-36, please select the option most relevant to you

I am renting and will probably rent forever

5.77% • 15 votes

I am renting and saving to buy a property, but struggling to save enough

5.38% • 14 votes

I am renting, but close to buying a property using the Help To Buy or Shared Ownership Scheme

3.46% • 9 votes

I am renting, but close to buying a property (without help from a scheme)

9.23% • 24 votes

I bought a property using the Help To Buy loan or Shared Ownership Scheme

8.46% • 22 votes

I own a 1 or 2 bed property (without help from a scheme) - I don't know how I can up-size.

5.77% • 15 votes

I own a property (without help from a scheme) it is suitable for me, I'm confident in up-sizing

22.31% • 58 votes

I own a property and will likely never need more bedrooms

35.00% • 91 votes

I own multiple properties.

4.62% • 12 votes

You may not vote on this poll

260 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • homeless9
    • By homeless9 9th Apr 19, 6:24 AM
    • 65Posts
    • 29Thanks
    homeless9
    For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation)
    • 9th Apr 19, 6:24 AM
    For those aged 26-36 (Your housing situation) 9th Apr 19 at 6:24 AM
    For those aged 26-36, please select the option most relevant to you:
Page 4
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Apr 19, 4:24 PM
    • 5,861 Posts
    • 9,154 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    🙄 Do me a favour, never have children, you are clearly too selfish.
    Originally posted by Sirrah67

You actually have this the wrong way round. The people who have children are the selfish ones. It starts with "I want a baby." It nearly always never includes what sort of life that baby is going to be able to have in a world where there are already too many people. Children do not ask to be born.
    • eilidhcatriona
    • By eilidhcatriona 12th Apr 19, 7:04 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    eilidhcatriona
    About to turn 36, we bought when I was 33 - 2 bed flat, no mortgage, there will be no kids so this is our forever home. Managed to buy outright an ex council flat in what a lot of people think is a “bad” area of Aberdeen, me I see it as a bit low income but full of spirit. Couldn’t be happier here - cracking sea views, lots of open space, and nice neighbours. Massive improvement on our last rental flat which was in a “nice” part of town - freezing in winter, surrounded by grey granite, and screaming neighbours in the street.

lol, we all know that anyone aged 50+ is on the property ladder, if those who are 50+ and not on the property ladder then something obviously went very wrong.
    Originally posted by homeless9
    Very presumptuous. And rather rude.

The poll is to see how 'millennials' are doing. The thing is - I bet you many people above 36 have voted on the poll so this poll is void anyway.
    I hate those brackets. I am not a millennial. I may (just) fit into the age bracket that seems to be what defines millennials, but I am not one of them. More of a Gen X-er if you must put a label on things.

+ you would think most people signed up to a 'moneysavingexpert' website would be savvy with their money so they are most likely to be on the property ladder or close to being on it.
    Getting on the property ladder isn’t the be-all and end-all. Many people on this forum and who visit the site are looking for help to make ends meet, many are renting, living with family or in social housing.

I don’t post often, but this got up my nose a bit...
    • lumpyspaceprincess
    • By lumpyspaceprincess 12th Apr 19, 7:15 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    lumpyspaceprincess
    I'm 36, I bought at 19 and sold at 28 (for no profit!) and have rented since. Currently my husband and I are in the process of buying a home together now I have my debts cleared and the income to support it.
    ¤ £25k paid off with Stepchange DMP ¤ Debt Free 01/09/17 ¤
    ¤ Saving for a house deposit by '19 ¤ Savs @ £16400 ¤

• Slithery
    • By Slithery 12th Apr 19, 7:29 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 2,296 Thanks
    Slithery
    Am now out of the age range (41) so haven't voted, but I'll tell you my story...

First bought when I was 22 with my then partner after saving up a £4k deposit. Split up 4 years later when we were half way through renovating so didn't make any cash.

Rented ever since spending all of my spare cash instead of saving but had a whale of a time, I wouldn't change the past if I could.

I've always loved the freedom of renting, especially when younger and have only just now started to think about settling again now that I've found a job that I enjoy (after starting about 15 different careers). I've never quite figured out why people think that owning is the massive life-goal that most seem to think that it is.

Recently managed to save just enough to buy a small bit of countryside without planning permission, I'll be moving there in the next year or two but haven't quite decided upon how legally I'm going to do that yet. I will be doing all of the building and landscaping myself though (an advantage of the many careers).

Edit - Oh god. Just realised that I'm starting to sound like Crashy...
    Last edited by Slithery; 12-04-2019 at 7:39 PM.
    • jlaw4
    • By jlaw4 12th Apr 19, 8:27 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    jlaw4
    I bought my first house at 24 with my ex. We saved through HTB Isa and had £11K deposit had a bit of help from bank of mum and dad. He's now buying me out of that so word of warning if you ever get a partner your willing to put your life savings in with, do a deed of trust to protect it.

i'm now in the process of buying an onward property that is a far cry from the dream house i have now but its a 3 bed semi ex council that i should pay off in 10 years. Owning your own home is a great feeling but so is being able to actually enjoy living, its only splitting up with someone and assessing all my options that i decided a smaller property in a less nice area was better for my quality of life than stretching myself and my range rover never happening!
    • ebam_uk
    • By ebam_uk 13th Apr 19, 9:40 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    ebam_uk
    Thanks for all the messages....they give a better insight than this poll.....

I am currently saving. I have a huge deposit after saving for years, plus I had a big windfall in the cryptocurrency mania. I have a £180,000 deposit, but I am single, I live in one of the most expensive towns outside of London (Surrey), I have a low paying job....

So even with such a big deposit I can only afford a 1 bed apartment around here and the types of apartment I want are rare (new build, in a small block, ok area, ok size)....

So my dilemma is:

1. Do I move away - much further away, somewhere I can afford a house.

2. Do I buy an apartment, find the love of my life, then buy a house with them.

3. Do I keep renting and investing. I am into the 'risky' investments. Cannabis stocks and Cryptocurrency. I am sure crypto will go crazy again and the Cannabis sector likely has massive growth ahead. There is a life changing opportunity here, of which could mean early retirement or at least an outright buy of a 2+ bedroom house. Obviously there is money to be lost, but I feel I play this game sensibly.

It's interesting to see where I stand amongst others in my 'age group'. Although I have decent savings I still feel poor in that I can't afford to buy a house, I feel that even with all this cash - I am behind others.

Play it safe, think where you can buy somewhere reasonable costs, where i live u can get a 3 bedroom house outright, but obviously its not surrey or central london...

Then if u wanna play with crypto and cannabis any profits or losses won't result in you losing your home / roof over your head.
    • blue_mango
    • By blue_mango 14th Apr 19, 10:21 AM
    • 440 Posts
    • 1,423 Thanks
    blue_mango
    I am single (30yo) and own a small 2 bed flat. Never thought I'd get on a property ladder as I was always on a basic wage and houses in South East are very expensive. I then got a job wich pays 24k and bought my own place in a more affordable town. I was able to save the deposit of 13k + expenses through not owning a car and lodging with others.

At the moment I spend a lot of time commuting and plan on doing so for another 1-2 years for various reasons. Wages here are lower but it wil cover my living costs, plus the spare bedroom can be used for some extra income.

I deny myself a lot of things as I have to take care of everything myself. I would love to take driving lessons and get a car, I think it would come in handy but... I just don't have enough money for it.
    • murdayg
    • By murdayg 16th Apr 19, 12:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    murdayg
    I bought my first house when I was 25 , a little semi 2 up to down for 88k , I sold it for 125k. Roughly 3 years ago due to needing more space due to the birth of my little boy, I bought a 4 bed detached house for 235k which I used all my profit from my first sale and my savings to reduce the mortgage to make it liveable

I currently have just over 129k left on my mortgage, At the start of the year I made a decision to get this paid of asap so put a plan together to overpay, so far I have managed to overpay my mortgage by 3k, I aim to do at least 1k a month until I hit my 10% annual limit.

I really want a kitchen extension , as I feel the kitchen lets down the house due to the size, so I could be tempted to remortgage in a few years.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 17th Apr 19, 1:54 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    I'm 26 and renting a council house on my own.

At 22 I moved in with my ex and spent my life savings on a car for work and furniture.
    At 24 I left him and received no furniture or money from him selling any (we have no contact).
    At 25 I got my council flat after 10 months homeless. Had to spend a big chunk of savings on furnishing.. again.

I have a help to buy ISA with 2.5 years to go until it reaches the full £12000. I have other savings but they're there for emergencies so I doubt I'll save much more than £12000 by then. So I'm looking at only ever buying if I have someone to buy with. My partner is younger, at University here on a visa so isn't earning yet. I also have other things I want to do with my money (such as getting married) and we might have to move countries depending on where he gets work. Let's just hope he earns enough to buy us something in a few years lol otherwise it feels like I'll never afford one.

I always envisioned myself to have a house, wedding and family by 30 but it's looking unlikely I'll have any of them. I was on track to have it all but glad I didn't as I would have been trapped in an unhappy marriage. This is the price of my freedom, I suppose.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 17th Apr 19, 2:04 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 4,069 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    I voted on behalf of the two of my children who fall into the age bracket.

Aged 31 and 34 respectively and both have their own 3-bed semis as single income first-time buyers.

Also, one of my son's has a girlfriend who is 31 and who owns a 3 bed/ 3 bath semi, also as a single income first-time buyer.

We all live up North! Close to Manchester and Liverpool.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 17th Apr 19, 2:26 PM
    • 1,884 Posts
    • 4,069 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    This is what infuriates me, this culture....

You are accused of 'not prioritising the kids' and being a bad father if you don't let your stay at home ex-partner have the house and the kids. It's ridiculous. It's all a fraud.
    Presumably, the partner gave up work to look after the children? This is usually done by mutual agreement, so this often means their earning potential is damaged long term. How would they fund a home and keep the children of the marriage if they have no job and the relationship breaks down?
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 17th Apr 19, 11:13 PM
    • 3,368 Posts
    • 3,326 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    I bought just before my 25th birthday. Took me just under 3 years to pay the £24k mortgage (I’d been saving while at uni then did lots of overtime over 2 years and saved, saved, saved. Plus a relative moved in and paid their contribution to the bills which I just paid towards the mortgage.) although I don’t live in a huge house (2 bed Terrance) and I’ll split the room when the lil one grows up to be about 3 or 4 (as a relative still lives here, which I don’t mind as will help with looking after the lil one) and in time I’ll probably sleep downstairs then he can have the room and can make it into a toy room too as it’s pretty big
    roll on 27th April 2019 or there abouts *39 done* = *1 to go*
    • Mr.NSG
    • By Mr.NSG 24th Apr 19, 5:45 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Mr.NSG
    MiP / AiP soft or hard search
    hello all,

hopefully just a quick one and will very much appreciate your knowledge.

the sitch.
    im currently well on my way to obtaining a mortgage in order to purchase my first property. I've currently got a default on my account (very ouch) but that is being lifted on the 13th if May. so 1st of June its green light and all systems go for a mortgage application etc.

in the mean time, im trying put all the pieces into place. one of them being the mortgage in principle... I have properties lined up and viewings intended throughout May

Now, the dilemma
    I don't want to confirm for a mortgage in principle (MiP) with L&C company, (sort through Experian) and it have a negative effect on my credit report as thats just not needed right now, also im in two minds as to wait till the default is lifted and then get the MiP but that will effect my credibility or seriousness towards estate agents and thus not likely to gain as much of an honest opinion from them, in terms of offers, and finer details they may be able to disclose,

so please, do I
    just go ahead and get the MiP as it only does a soft search (as I've heard but not been confirmed, im awaiting a call back from L&C tomorrow)

wait till my till June where I will have an improved credit rating and better rates but may lose the property

give up and live with my mum for the rest of my days.

cheers
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 25th Apr 19, 1:27 PM
    • 23,767 Posts
    • 12,227 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I would confirm with them if they are just checking your identity or if it’s a credit search.
    If they are merely checking your identity then this has minimal impact.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

356Posts Today

5,315Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin