Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eugh
    • By Eugh 8th Apr 19, 10:20 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 59Thanks
    Eugh
    Sometimes life changes.....
    • 8th Apr 19, 10:20 PM
    Sometimes life changes..... 8th Apr 19 at 10:20 PM
    So I'm just embarking on my journey to be debt free so I thought I'd write a diary to keep myself accountable.

So onto the boring bit about how I got where I am...

So 2015 everything was going great - husband, a lovely 3 year old and a new dream job that paid a decent wage! I had a credit card but nothing unmanageable - I wasn't paying the full amount off every month, but it wasn't huge and wasn't impacting on my life at all.

Then things changed.... first in a great way! I discovered I was pregnant (we were only trying for a short while and were thrilled), then discovered it was twins - we were so happy!

The babies were born in mid 2016 - and everything was great... until I developed post natal depression in Jan 2017. In february my husband, totally out of the blue left me. I was at the lowest point of my life and I didn't know what to do. I ended up spending more and more money to try and prove to myself that the children were going to have as good a life without their dad. In august I went back to work, and managed one shift. I was still struggling with my PND, and I worked in an area that I needed to be 100% every shift. So I was signed off onto long term sick. I felt useless! I felt as if I had failed as a wife, mum and had failed in my career... which unfortunately caused me to feel suicidal. So I spent more, and more. Because I thought I wouldn't have to pay it back as I would be dead....

Anyway long story short, I made a very decent suicide attempt - but (spoiler report) after a long stay in ITU the wonderful NHS pulled me back from the brink of death and I survived. Only now I had debt. And lots of it.

Due to both my mental health issues and childcare costs I had to go part time in my job - dropping my wages from 35,000 to 21,500. Prior to my husband leaving we had minimal childcare costs as he would have the children when I was at work (working shifts was great for us as a couple) but I'm now in a situation where I need to pay for 14 hours of child care twice a week (6am - 8pm) totalling 280 a week.

So as you can see I have had huge changes in my life that have led to me being in the situation I am in.

I'm currently in 27,000 of debt and am just embarking on a DMP - I've only got as far as sending out the holding letters but it's a positive start.

I've seen many places that say that you should inform your creditors of any vulnerabilities you have and MH issues are classed as a vulnerability.... I'm not really sure how I would go about doing this. It would have to be in writing because I don't fancy explaining my situation over the phone, but I'm conscious as it may come across as if I'm making excuses for myself for my debt or trying to swing for a 'sympathy vote' somehow. But this is next on my list of things to do...

I've decided on a budget that I'm embarking on this week. I'm going to start an emergency fund prior to starting my DMP payments, which I'm going to start in September (if creditors agree).

I'm feeling pretty positive at the min because it feels good to actually be doing something! It looks as if I should be out of debt in 6.5 years - although I've learned that things can quickly change so I'm aware I could be debt free before or after that. Im hoping for before!

I'm going to try and update on here as often as possible so prepared to be bored by me frequently! I think posting should keep my eye on the prize!

Thanks for reading

Eugh x
Page 2
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Apr 19, 7:29 AM
    • 5,686 Posts
    • 34,766 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I’d suggest putting any eBay pennies into an emergency fund for things like laptop repairs. It’ll really help with peace of mind knowing there’s a bit of a buffer
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 119,481.83 today 69,283.91 target 65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today 566.16 target 5,500 by 05/04/19
    Emergency fund 5,500/5.5k & 200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 1lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Eugh
    • By Eugh 15th Apr 19, 7:34 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Eugh
    Thank I'm in the process of building an emergency fund so I'll see where I'm at once I'm done ebaying ( I'm notoriously slow at getting round to putting things on there!)
    • Eugh
    • By Eugh 15th Apr 19, 11:40 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Eugh
    So today was a slightly more spendy day than I had thought it would be - but still within reason.

Had a lovely walk with my kiddies and friend over the barrage in cardiff. On the way over my little girl twin fell and cut her lip and bled everywhere! Had to stop and sort her out, before going for ice cream (planned), then a trip to Tesco express to buy Calpol since she was sore and looked like she'd just done a round with in the boxing ring (unplanned!). When we got there they only had the branded version which cost nearly 5 and I needed to buy an emergency pack of nappies - and of course they only had pampers! So what should have been a two item trip costing under 5 cost me 10! Since having children this is the first time I've ever ran out of nappies, which isnt bad considering I have twins now!

Got a 15 of petrol to keep me going for work etc... so really today was only 10 over what I planned, but still annoying when I'm trying to be good. Although these things do crop up - next time I'll be ensuring there are no injuries when we go out. Not sure how I'll active that though!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,084Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin