Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    • 7,662Posts
    • 57,394Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16
    • 8th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16 8th Apr 19 at 7:52 AM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 14 and 15 is Here

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"
    Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-04-2019 at 8:03 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 6
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 15th Apr 19, 8:02 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Morning all.

Honey bear thank you so much for all the advice. I will get a kong. My other lab is sneaky and will nick it off him (she is food obsessed), so will get her a little one. Have ordered chicken paste on the shopping and will stuff it with paste and his beloved liver treats and freeze it. He did come and sit by me last night. He has been avoiding me since the vets, so have been sitting with him in the kitchen area where his bed is. We have a living room and a kitchen with living area in. He doesn't come into the living room anymore as he likes to nick the best dogs bed. He had lots of ear rubs and blowing on his neck. I think he may be missing my DD. She is away in Asia and not back for another week. She always gives him lots of fuss and sits with him.

On the af front basically there aren't anymore to add unfortunately. Have had a cr*ppy weekend. Not too excessive but wine lead to the munchies. My eating has been terrible, have been ravenous for some reason. My DD not being here means there is no one to nag me! On a stress note she is white water rafting and blissfully unaware that the airline she is flying back with have gone bust. Not sure what is going to happen there but think insurance will cover it.

Can I do 3 sncplease Shaggy
    • marahouti
    • By marahouti 15th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    marahouti
    Good morning.
    1/4 SNC, 1/10 Monthly Challenge please Shaggy
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 15th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 4,773 Posts
    • 48,231 Thanks
    Barny1979
    12/26 AFDs today
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs
    MFW Challenge 2019 - 300/1809
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 15th Apr 19, 9:22 AM
    • 862 Posts
    • 6,619 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    9 please Shaggy
    Arkersx
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 15th Apr 19, 9:38 AM
    • 5,612 Posts
    • 55,197 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Arsenal Barnie, the fact that your daughter is away is a huge change for the dog, and you're now stressed because she's white water rafting and the airline's gone bust, with a side order of a crappy weekend .... No wonder the dog's showing signs of stress and you're not able to resist the easy tension-buster liquid followed with crappy food! Have a (((hug))). In 10 days time this will be over and done with and things can settle back into their normal routine. Good.

Not weighing myself. There will be cake, but not today as my favourite chocolate shop is closed on Mondays. The scales may accumulate a little dust this week.

15/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 15th Apr 19, 10:41 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 7,896 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Welcome marahouti

Declaring early for today on 8/12 please Shaggy
    • loveasale
    • By loveasale 15th Apr 19, 6:57 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,776 Thanks
    loveasale
    A very happy birthday Honey Bear xxx
    I’ve been away the weekend and did drink ,,, but I really think I’m starting to very slightly cut down on my amounts when I have drank ,,, I’d like to cut down to nil !!
    On a normal weekend of booze I could do 2 possibly 3 bottles of wine on a sat ,,,then again Sunday, this weekend I had a bottle on both days , I know for some that’s awful , but for me an improvement, and a lot less !
    9/18 1/4
    I will never be rich but I'm happy
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 15th Apr 19, 7:02 PM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 15,388 Thanks
    cathybird
    Happy birthday Honey Bear!!! I hope it's a good one xx

15 in Save 12K: -1,011.85/12K. MNSDs: 8/12 YNSDs: 37/TF Tilly: 403.56
    Apr AFDs: 21/21 2019 AFDs: 94/260 2018: 303/260
    Mortgage 1/1/19: 31,950.00 27,750.00 Paid off: 4,200
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 15th Apr 19, 8:22 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 3,386 Thanks
    maggiem
    Happy birthday Honeybear.

9/15 please .
    • Wanna Bee Free
    • By Wanna Bee Free 15th Apr 19, 10:19 PM
    • 1,395 Posts
    • 12,686 Thanks
    Wanna Bee Free
    Hope you had a lovely birthday HoneyBear!

9/19 and 1/4 for the SNC this evening.
    Save 12K in 2019 #12 - 2935/12,000
    Cutting Down Alcohol: 33/150 (A9|M10|F6|J 8|2018:86|2017:106|2016:83)
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 16th Apr 19, 6:34 AM
    • 524 Posts
    • 3,972 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Happy birthday HoneyBear!

15/25 for me today
    • marahouti
    • By marahouti 16th Apr 19, 6:35 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    marahouti
    2/10 monthly challenge and 2/4 snc please.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 16th Apr 19, 6:42 AM
    • 3,709 Posts
    • 15,388 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 15/21 for me today please.
    15 in Save 12K: -1,011.85/12K. MNSDs: 8/12 YNSDs: 37/TF Tilly: 403.56
    Apr AFDs: 21/21 2019 AFDs: 94/260 2018: 303/260
    Mortgage 1/1/19: 31,950.00 27,750.00 Paid off: 4,200
    • loveasale
    • By loveasale 16th Apr 19, 7:06 AM
    • 429 Posts
    • 2,776 Thanks
    loveasale
    Morning all !
    I am going to have nice rental house,,, a lot of money , but I have no choice but to rent at the moment , I need somewhere I can’t take my furry friend , and they will allow that, it’s local , and the only place I see us living in that I’ve seen ,,,, so for once I’m not going to be my very usual MSE and go for it !!!
    Already making the decision I have a weight lifted,,,,,,,,!
    10/18
    I will never be rich but I'm happy
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    • 5,612 Posts
    • 55,197 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Congratulations on the decision that you deserve to live in a nice house, Love a Sale. I'm not for a moment that anyone should live beyond their means, but if you can cut back in other spendy areas you might find that overall it marks a helpful change of direction for your life; a turning point.

As to the weekend drinking - every single glass (or bottle - wow, really well done!) you don't drink is a major victory, it really is. Drinking is such a difficult habit to break and each success should be celebrated. We have a tendency to see what we did drink as a failure, but if you've been battling this demon for as long as the rest of us, you can pat yourself on the back for not over-indulging. We're far too hard on ourselves, and we forget to mark the small victories.

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes. We decided to keep the focus on the dog and keep the day very low key, although I've now planned a local treat that I'm really looking forward to, plus a bit of a thing with friends that will have to be managed, stage by stage, like the Appollo landings, to be a real success and even then it might not work. Still, it's got a better chance than just hoping. And I've got a brand new tablet to play with, my first, so that'll be 'A Thing' for a few days.

16/30 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 16th Apr 19, 7:31 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 2,073 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Happy Birthday Honey bear x.

1 snc/7/16 please Shaggy.
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 16th Apr 19, 7:43 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 3,027 Thanks
    Green Karen
    Hope you have a great birthday HB, hope all the plans work out, best to wing it a bit sometimes!

15/28 April
    2/5 WDC

28/30 on the 30 day challenge
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 16th Apr 19, 10:53 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 7,896 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Happy Birthday Honey Bear

Congratulations on your decision on the house rental loveasale - hope you will be very happy there
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 16th Apr 19, 12:47 PM
    • 7,662 Posts
    • 57,394 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't been around so much - mad busy here as we move into Easter.....I definitely won't be around tomorrow as we're going to a funeral (the Dad of DH's childhood friend. I only met him a few times.)

....14 in a row

KEEP POSTING THOSE AFDS. I'll be back...

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 16-04-2019 at 2:57 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 16th Apr 19, 12:54 PM
    • 7,662 Posts
    • 57,394 Thanks
    shaggydoo

Hope you had a lovely day!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,156Posts Today

4,952Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin