Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    • 8,072Posts
    • 59,644Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16
    • 8th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16 8th Apr 19 at 7:52 AM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 14 and 15 is Here

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"
    Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-04-2019 at 8:03 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 37
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 12th Jun 19, 6:14 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    Arkers
    .....ohh yes aresenal beanie ((hugs))
    Arkers x
    • marahouti
    • By marahouti 13th Jun 19, 7:19 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    marahouti
    12/16 for June and 4/5 for SNC please Shaggy. Thank you. X
    • sukeyboo
    • By sukeyboo 13th Jun 19, 10:49 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 8,461 Thanks
    sukeyboo
    Didn't get a chance to post yesterday but will be on 8/12 as of today please Shaggy
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 13th Jun 19, 11:33 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 59,644 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    When i was a nurse, i worked in oncology and the greatest gift is the positive mind and outlook. You are going to smash this!!!
    Originally posted by ManPants

MP why can't you return to being a nurse? I'm sure you make a smashing one! You'd meet loads of lovely new people too!

Just a thought.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 13th Jun 19, 11:40 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 59,644 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    You'll soon be back on track, Shaggy.
    Originally posted by Honey Bear

Nope. Still struggling here to get back in the zone. Another of my sisters (I have 3) had an 8 hour op on Tuesday which went well, so I ended up having a drink that evening out of relief and celebration. The bottle was open so I ended up having another drink last night. Having drinks at the end of both days then wrecked all my hard dieting work during the day.

Ah well as Scarlett O'Hara says "tomorrow is another day".....

On a more positive note my sister has been ill since December, so this really is a big fat weight off my mind and that usually leads to less eating and drinking in general for me.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 13th Jun 19, 11:43 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 59,644 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Super busy here so a quick check in. I'm stuck on a pitiful 4/18.
    Originally posted by AnnieG

Me too. But there are still 18 days left!
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 13th Jun 19, 11:46 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 59,644 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    School Night Challenge 9th to 13th June
    Glenda /5
    Maggie 1/4
    Marra 4/5
    Shaggy 1/4

Anybody else?
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 17-06-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 13th Jun 19, 11:51 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 59,644 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Sorry to be a pain, please could you update my May total to 22? Thank you very much x
    Originally posted by PriceySOS

No worries but I'm a bit puzzled 'cos it is 22 #607.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 13th Jun 19, 11:53 AM
    • 8,072 Posts
    • 59,644 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : June 2019
    June 2019

= 7 Days

= 14 Days

= 21 Days

= 28 Days

= 31 Days

= Target Reached
    = Target Beaten

Annie 4/18

Arkers 4/10
    ArsenalBarnie 7/16
    Barney 9/23
    CathyBird 12/21

CuppaTea /19
    Glenda 8/29

GreenKaren
    Honey Bear 12/30

LoveASale 6/TF

MaggieM 2/18

Maman 5/10
    Marahouti 12/16

PollyAnna
    Pricey 8/22

Rosy 5/26
    Season of Mist 8/30

Shaggydoo 4/23
    Sukeyboo 8/12

WannaBeeFree 1/16

Please let me know if I've made a mistake!

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 17-06-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 13th Jun 19, 12:30 PM
    • 956 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good morning everyone,
    5 please Shaggy
    Always wanted a sister, Shaggy, hope she's on the mend.
    Arkers x
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 13th Jun 19, 7:07 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 51,324 Thanks
    Barny1979
    10/23 AFDs for yesterday
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 209 AFDs up to end of September
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £875/£1809
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 13th Jun 19, 8:39 PM
    • 454 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    8/16 please Shaggy

Hope your sister is ok, 8 hours thatís a long time. Next week I have cracked and booked a private mri scan and seeing another consultant privately. Then the NHS one wants to see me next Friday. Basically what I have can only be accurately diagnosed once itís removed and tested. I also need to have a CT scan. It could still be benign, I have to try and remember this.

So I cracked wine wise last night but none tonight.

Hugs to you Arkers
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 13th Jun 19, 9:18 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 51,324 Thanks
    Barny1979
    11/23 AFDs for today
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 209 AFDs up to end of September
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £875/£1809
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 14th Jun 19, 1:07 AM
    • 770 Posts
    • 5,601 Thanks
    AnnieG
    Yesterday brought me to 5/18
    Planning not to drink this weekend but we shall see. A cold beer in this baking hot weather feels like such a treat.. although there's a new mojito flavour 7up that I'm rather partial to so maybe I'll get some of those instead
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 14th Jun 19, 6:31 AM
    • 599 Posts
    • 4,447 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    Massive hugs to everyone who is struggling at the moment. One step at a time.

Well, that work do went as I kind of predicted - started off well and then descended into a multi-drink late-night mess! Do I regret it? I don't regret the evening, but I did end up with a whole day, extremely unpleasant hangover. I should have RED WINE IS NOT MY FRIEND tattooed on my drinking arm. Geez.

So, SNC sitting at 4/5 and 12/29 for June. I'm going to need to revise my target downwards, only 1 day leeway isn't working too well at the moment. 25 maybe?

I need to work out if this'occasional drink' is sustainable or the old slippery slope back to regular imbibing. One to ponder.
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 14th Jun 19, 7:54 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    maggiem
    3/18 please.
    Don't think I will make target this month - I know I could if I didn’t have a drink for the next couple of weeks but think I will really struggle with that.
    However I can try and get as close as possible.
    Doesn’t seem very important compared to things going on for others, Arsenalbarnie, Arkers, Manpants and Shaggy - thinking of you all and sending healing vibes
    • marahouti
    • By marahouti 14th Jun 19, 8:24 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    marahouti
    13/16 for June and 5/5 for SNC please Shaggy. X
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 14th Jun 19, 11:11 AM
    • 4,097 Posts
    • 17,401 Thanks
    cathybird
    Afternoon all, 13/21 for me today thanks.
    15 in Save 12K: £8,810.98/£12K. ONSDs: 6/10 Tilly: £4,264.00
    October AFDs: 15/21 2019 AFDs: 248/260 2018: 303/260
    • Season of Mist
    • By Season of Mist 14th Jun 19, 12:08 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Season of Mist
    14/30 please.

Quite pleased with the AF total still intact, I have been away for a few days on a work conference and made it through a big corporate dinner on Weds with free drinks galore; there was a huge ice bucket in the middle of the table crammed with cold beers and the instruction was to ‘get stuck in’. When they noticed that I didn’t help myself, someone sitting opposite opened a bottle for me and handed it over, I was amazed to hear myself saying the words “Oh no thank you, I’m sticking to water tonight.” It was as if someone else (not me) was saying the words. As recently as 18 months ago I would have just dived in with both feet, drank the contents of the ice bucket, then when the freebies ran out I’d have been barging my way to the cash bar for more. I don’t want to jinx it by saying I’ve turned a corner but really, this big works dinner and my recent week away somewhere hot would, in every previous year of my adult life, have just ended in pretty much unrestricted drinking.
    • PriceySOS
    • By PriceySOS 14th Jun 19, 3:33 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 5,214 Thanks
    PriceySOS
    10 please, Shaggy, thanks It was our annual school get-together last night in London - free wine, of course I kept going back for more. I mustn't drink this weekend to make up for this.

Sending hugs to all who need them at the moment xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,249Posts Today

7,601Users online

Martin's Twitter