Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 8th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    • 7,727Posts
    • 57,708Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16
    • 8th Apr 19, 7:52 AM
    Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16 8th Apr 19 at 7:52 AM
    Welcome. Here we are again, time for a new thread, new starts and new challenges.

Let's take a trip down memory lane and remind ourselves of In Search Of Me's (ISOM) original post in Part 1:

24th February 2008

Quote:
    In Search Of Me "There are a few of us who want to give up/cut down & I thought it would be good to widen the net to support each other along the way!
    For me alch & feeling good for the time I'm drinking & then rubbish after go hand in hand. A bit like drinking & smoking & drinking & getting the munchies! Last year I gave up alch & fags for 10 months & then "slipped" towards Christmas until by Jan I was doing both with alarming regularity. I dread to think how much both cost me financially and I know physically that I've felt rubbish. My lungs hurt, have put on weight & literally none of my clothes fit so I will have to buy more - which means a dent in my budget that I can ill afford. My skin is also yukky & much nicer when I dont drink/smoke!
    I had my last ciggies the night before last & last wine on Tues. I know I will feel 100% better when I crack it but also know it will be hard. One disadvantage here is that all too often DFW "parties" tend to involve alcohol so I'm also hoping that this can possibly be a safe haven for those of us who want, or need, to abstain, for now at least!
    Anway - I hope that this can be a place of real support for people who are sturggling. I do wonder whether there is a link between debt & drinking as from the Jan thread it was obvious that so many struggle to give up! Plus I know for me that I feel much hapier and in control when I dont drink (or drink in moderation) - which of course begs the question "why do I do it?"! Anyway, I do but will now try not t ad hope some of you wil join in. Some days I know I wil fail, just as I do with my debt free journey and I am more than happy to be given a swift (but nice!) kicking when I do! Hugs all and dare I say... but this time with water!!
    And here's what she started!!! :

Part 14 and 15 is Here

Part 13 is Here

Part 12 is HERE

Part 11 is HERE

Part 10 is HERE

Part 9 is HERE

Part 8 is HERE

Part 7 is HERE

Part 6 is HERE

Part 5 is HERE

Part 4 is HERE

Part 3 is HERE

Part 2 is HERE

and the original starting thread is HERE

Here is a post from back on thread 1 or 2.

Springwatch Girl Well, week 5 of no alcohol and I see a different person in the mirror. My eyes no longer look dull and vacant, they actually have a little sparkle and my skin doesn't look like uncooked pastry anymore. I feel that I have won a battle but not yet the war. Hope everyone else is at the point they want to be, I never want to be that person I was, I have been tempted but I just think back to what I had become. The sun is shining at the moment and I feel good and want to continue to have the sun in my life"
    Good Luck Everyone!

Shaggyx
    Last edited by shaggydoo; 08-04-2019 at 8:03 AM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
Page 22
    • marahouti
    • By marahouti 16th May 19, 11:26 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    marahouti
    13/20 for May and 4/5 SNC please Shaggy, thank you. X
    • maman
    • By maman 16th May 19, 1:40 PM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 118,132 Thanks
    maman
    Very minor wobble last night. I was driving home and took a detour through streets that seemed to be lined with busy pubs! Not that I would just stop at some random pub and go in for a drink but they did look tempting.

Tonight's the first this week that I won't be going out for distraction but not planning to drink anyway. I'll settle on the sofa after dinner with a large cuppa.

8/10 AFDs please Shaggy and 4/4 for the SNC.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 16th May 19, 2:12 PM
    • 7,727 Posts
    • 57,708 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    School Night Challenge 12th to 16th May
    Green Karen 4/5
    Maggie 4/5
    Maman 4/4
    Mara 4/5
    Shaggy 3/4
    WBF 2/4
    Last edited by shaggydoo; Today at 1:02 PM.
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
    • shaggydoo
    • By shaggydoo 16th May 19, 2:15 PM
    • 7,727 Posts
    • 57,708 Thanks
    shaggydoo
    Monthly Challenge : May 2019
    May 2019

= 7 Days

= 14 Days

= 21 Days

= 28 Days

= 31 Days

= Target Reached
    = Target Beaten

AnnieG

Arkers /TF

ArsenalBarnie 3/16
    Barney 12/25
    CathyBird 13/21
    CuppaTea 13/17
    Glenda 12/28
    GreenKaren 14/26
    Honey Bear 14/31

LoveASale 4/15
    MaggieM 11/18
    Maman 8/10
    Marahouti 13/20

PollyAnna 3/16
    Pricey 8/20

Rosy 6/28
    Season of Mist 8/31
    Shaggydoo 9/21
    Sukeyboo 8/12
    WannaBeeFree 7/16

Please let me know if I've made a mistake!

Everyone Welcome Anytime of the Month!
    Last edited by shaggydoo; Today at 1:05 PM.
    • rosy10
    • By rosy10 16th May 19, 5:27 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    rosy10
    I'm back!!! 12/28, please Shaggy. Had a couple of evenings with alcohol but fairly restrained by my standards.

I need to catch up on the thread but off to unpack and do the washing.

Have a lovely evening everyone.

• Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 16th May 19, 6:50 PM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 55,622 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    16/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • maggiem
    • By maggiem 17th May 19, 5:36 AM
    • 512 Posts
    • 3,533 Thanks
    maggiem
    12/18 and 5SNC - very pleased it's Friday even if I am going to have to work over the weekend! The office is quiet and I can print out reports etc so means that the job is finished rather than working at home (and getting distracted) then having to do the other bits at work on Monday. One of these days my admin might be up to date.

I am planning on having a couple of drinks, no more, tonight and Saturday then back on SNC on Sunday.

I wonder how Annie is getting on in Vietnam?
    • GlendaSugarbean
    • By GlendaSugarbean 17th May 19, 5:45 AM
    • 554 Posts
    • 4,160 Thanks
    GlendaSugarbean
    17/28 for me today.

Re the 'one glass' discussion, I find I'm the opposite! One of the reasons I stopped drinking was that it was making me feel hideous, and now one glass of wine/beer is ok, more than that is a bad idea. Another reason why it's better for me to not drink at all.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 17th May 19, 7:15 AM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 55,622 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    17/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 17th May 19, 7:44 AM
    • 337 Posts
    • 2,253 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Iím back.
    4/16 for yesterday please Shaggy.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 17th May 19, 8:06 AM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 15,687 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 14/21 for me today.

Welcome back Rosy!!
    15 in Save 12K: -£1,011.85/£12K. MNSDs: 8/12 YNSDs: 49/TF Tilly: £403.56
    May AFDs: 16/21 2019 AFDs: 118/260 2018: 303/260
    Mortgage 1/1/19: £31,950.00 £26,500.00 Paid off: £5,450
    • marahouti
    • By marahouti 17th May 19, 8:07 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    marahouti
    14/20 for May and 5/5 for SNC please Shaggy. X
    • maman
    • By maman 17th May 19, 9:31 AM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 118,132 Thanks
    maman
    14/20 for May and 5/5 for SNC please Shaggy. X
    Originally posted by marahouti
    Morning all, 14/21 for me today.

Welcome back Rosy!!
    Originally posted by cathybird

Smiley day for you two! Well done!

Welcome back Rosy!!
    Originally posted by cathybird

Good to se you back.

Hope all is OK HB, your posts have been short and sweet lately. How's Layla doing?
    • Arkers
    • By Arkers 17th May 19, 11:24 AM
    • 865 Posts
    • 6,645 Thanks
    Arkers
    Good afternoon everyone,

Been AWOL for the last few weeks, can only report 7 days please
    Shaggy.

Apologies for not having time to read everyone's posts hope everyone is safe and well.

Arkers x
    • Green Karen
    • By Green Karen 17th May 19, 3:25 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 3,138 Thanks
    Green Karen
    16/26 May
    5/5 WDC

Welcome back Rosy.

Yes maggiem, hope Annie getting on OK.

Really jealous Glenda that you can just have one drink. I would feel a lot happier drinking one glass of wine a day (especially if it's red as there are health benefits there too).
    • rosy10
    • By rosy10 17th May 19, 6:53 PM
    • 88 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    rosy10
    all caught up on the thread - some amazing AF stretches in there! Thank you all for the welcome back and it's good to be back! 13/28, please Shaggy.

I've managed to get my BMI under 25; still some work to do as I'm at the higher end BUT I am delighted and it is a direct result of getting my alcohol consumption down, for which I have this thread and all you amazing posters to thank for. There is no way I would have lasted over 4 months of cutting back without this thread.
    • marahouti
    • By marahouti 17th May 19, 9:21 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    marahouti
    What a waste of a drinking day! My husband is an officer at a private members' club. Today a rep came in with some samples of wine that they hope the club will stock as their house 'plonk' and my DH brought a bottle of the red home. He asked for my opinion so I had a glass - not good. I don't know if I have become more discerning since I have been drinking less or whether it really was that bad. Hubby finished the bottle but won't be recommending it to the club.
    • cathybird
    • By cathybird 18th May 19, 8:13 AM
    • 3,764 Posts
    • 15,687 Thanks
    cathybird
    Morning all, 15/21 for me today thanks.
    15 in Save 12K: -£1,011.85/£12K. MNSDs: 8/12 YNSDs: 49/TF Tilly: £403.56
    May AFDs: 16/21 2019 AFDs: 118/260 2018: 303/260
    Mortgage 1/1/19: £31,950.00 £26,500.00 Paid off: £5,450
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 18th May 19, 9:34 AM
    • 5,662 Posts
    • 55,622 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Really jealous Glenda that you can just have one drink. I would feel a lot happier drinking one glass of wine a day (especially if it's red as there are health benefits there too).
    Originally posted by Green Karen
    Jealousy from me too!

However, without wishing to be too contentious, the 'health benefits' of alcohol, red wine included, are extremely debatable. I've been listening to this discussion for years and, very quietly because it doesn't suit the media, that jig is up. There are no benefits at all, but the occasional drink of any sort won't hurt - that's as good as it gets. There are no magical medicinal qualities in red wine. Alcohol itself is a poison and whatever way it's imbibed isn't going to change that, sadly.

I've managed to get my BMI under 25; still some work to do as I'm at the higher end BUT I am delighted and it is a direct result of getting my alcohol consumption down, for which I have this thread and all you amazing posters to thank for. There is no way I would have lasted over 4 months of cutting back without this thread.
    Originally posted by rosy10
    Hugely well done, Rosy. That takes some doing, and is fantastic outcome. (I wouldn't be where I am without this thread, so I know exactly how grateful you feel because I share the gratitude, too.)

What a waste of a drinking day! My husband is an officer at a private members' club. Today a rep came in with some samples of wine that they hope the club will stock as their house 'plonk' and my DH brought a bottle of the red home. He asked for my opinion so I had a glass - not good. I don't know if I have become more discerning since I have been drinking less or whether it really was that bad. Hubby finished the bottle but won't be recommending it to the club.
    Originally posted by marahouti

I cannot tell you how familiar that sounded! The number of times I felt obligated to drink, once I started thinking I might have a problem, made me very sad and then, eventually, very angry. I think I was angry with other people for imposing alcohol on me, but that was misplaced; I should have been angry with myself for not being grown up enough to face the truth and brave enough to admit that I didn't want to have to drink that day. I never was brave enough; I just carried on drinking, worrying about it silently.

One of the huge benefits of not drinking at all is that no-one can impose their stuff on me and effectively try to 'guilt me' into drinking with them because that's what they want. I don't know if other women go through this, the compulsion to be the person other people want us to be, but it was a factor in my carrying on drinking. I'm gradually becoming more assertive over other aspects of my life as Life Without Booze progresses. I'm not sure I ever would have done that had I carried on, lurching from one binge + hangover to the next one. There simply wasn't time to figure out what was really important to me because I was always playing catch up on my day to day life.

Thanks for your concern, Maman. I did actually type up a post yesterday but lost it when I closed the window instead of Submitting Reply. I was very decidedly not okay at all, but it was an unavoidable situation which, fortuitiously, I could just about cope with because I was on the ball. Basically, we have two cats and a dog. We've cat-proofed the house and yard, so the 18 month old kittens can't escape, and if they could, we'd just make it even more secure - they love climbing. It was extremely hard work to cat proof the place and it took me months, last summer, doing it on my own because for some reason OH decided it was nothing to do with him.

Anyway, the dog fainted on a walk on Monday evening, and during an emergency trip to the vet it was discovered she has a Grade 2/3 heart murmur and an irregular heartbeat. That was Strike 1.

OH was due to attend the Cannes Film Festival, travelling out on Tuesday morning - could I take him to the station at 7.00 am; did I want him to cancel? Strike 2 - I'm on my own. (No, I didn't want him to cancel because sometimes problems are easier to deal with if you don't have to discuss the solution. I'm pretty good at solving problems, not so good at negotiating.)

Three American paying guests were due to arrive on Tuesday, and I had to get the house to an acceptable standard by the time they were due, which was fairly flexible, but Americans can be very picky about things, so it was spit and polish time. I hate housework, which is why I've been a Flylady for seven years. Strike 3.

Layla has developed a bit of an issue over house-training which I can manage but involves a lot of vigilence and some carpet-scrubbing. We're getting there, but Strike 4.

Layla also has some seperation anxiety issues, which again, involves a slow, methodical training programme, and careful maangement. I've made a bit of a mistake over one aspect of it, entirely unforseeable, but there's a bit of repair work going on. Strike 5.

We've been finding, over the last week or so, the odd cat pooh around the house, half chewed loaves of bread on the kitchen floor and a completely new smell of cat pee in the house. Strike 6.

OH woke me up at 5.40 am Tuesday morning to tell me we had a strange cat in the house. STRIKE 7.

I cannot tell you how disruptive a terrified stray, entire male cat is, if you are the kind of person who can't just turf it out. It's been an absolute nightmare resolving the situation. The cat finally went into rescue at about 10.00 am on Thursday morning and if it's the one I think it is on their website, it's due to be rehomed at some time after 23 May. I couldn't be happier for it, and will be forever grateful to Woodside Animal Shelter, as well as the Plymouth Cat Protection League and the Plymouth Pets Lost and Found website for their kindness and support. I'm also incredibly grateful to our lovely American guests, who couldn't have been more understanding about the situation.

In the meantime here, I've been bleaching the area where it hid itself, probably for a full week, and using two dehumidifiers to get rid of the smell. To begin with it involved a bleach spray, then pouring it on, and now it's about soaking it thorougly and keeping it soaked.

I wouldn't have coped at all if alcohol had been an option! I was never much use with a hangover.

18/31 please, Shaggy.
    Keeping it AF
    • maman
    • By maman 18th May 19, 11:08 AM
    • 19,764 Posts
    • 118,132 Thanks
    maman
    Oh HB, what an awful week. You've done amazingly well to get through it. And guests as well!! So pleased that they were understanding. Sending you the very biggest of hugs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,874Posts Today

6,565Users online

Martin's Twitter