Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Majic
    • By Majic 7th Apr 19, 7:38 PM
    • 217Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Majic
    Best Budget Sat Nav
    • 7th Apr 19, 7:38 PM
    Best Budget Sat Nav 7th Apr 19 at 7:38 PM
    Tom Tom are refusing to update my old sat nav Tom Tom via Live 120
    I've probably had it 8 years and it's been great, especially for the live traffic and speed camera warnings.

I would like something similar again, certainly under £150. I need the same features, but reading about some of the ones on sale now it seems to indicate that the live traffic is done via your mobile? I only have a basic mobile so this is probably not great for me.

Can anyone recommend a good budget Sat Nav that works similar to my old one?

Thanks
Page 2
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 8th Apr 19, 9:43 AM
    • 389 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Takmon
    I've checked and I do have google maps on my phone. Been reading some reviews comparing sat navs to google maps and seems to be if you can afford it and travel a lot sat navs are still better overall.

I would like to try google maps, if I enter a destination do I get speed cameras, live traffic and alternative routes if quicker, once starting journey?
    Originally posted by Majic
    Google maps uses the location of all the Android smartphones and any other device using google maps plus other information to build up very accurate traffic maps. Due to the massive amount of data they have access too you won't get a more accurate traffic map from any other provider (but other providers do use this data).

So when you put in a destination you will get a very accurate arrival time and the best route, which will also update if there is a faster route as you are travelling.

Plus you also have the latest up to date maps when using it.

No standalone Sat Nav will come close to this level of accuracy so i personally see them as pretty much redundant these days.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 8th Apr 19, 11:00 AM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 3,373 Thanks
    Arklight
    Satnavs are good for people who don't want to use their phone for a SatNav. I would prefer not to, but my last TomTom has just decided to update itself out of being able to use live traffic so is pretty useless. Money is too tight at the moment to buy something my phone already does so I will be using my phone.

The inbuilt navigation on my car needs the maps updating and live traffic activation, for which Suzuki / Garmin expect me to pay £125, for a 12 month update. Which is also not happening.
    • Typhoon2000
    • By Typhoon2000 8th Apr 19, 11:24 AM
    • 970 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    Typhoon2000
    TomTom live traffic is way way better than anything from google, Garmin or the Waze app. I use mine just for traffic of my 75mile each waycommute. Have compared it to Google and Waze and the built in satnav which is Garmin maps, and it’s night and day. Alerts me to traffic quite a way off and it’s every dynamic so I can see if the queue ahead is getting shorter or longer which helps me decide if I need to switch routes or if it would have cleared up by the time I reach it.
    ETA is also much more accurate than Google( over estimates) or Garmin under estimates.
    • Majic
    • By Majic 8th Apr 19, 3:10 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Majic
    TomTom live traffic is way way better than anything from google, Garmin or the Waze app. I use mine just for traffic of my 75mile each waycommute. Have compared it to Google and Waze and the built in satnav which is Garmin maps, and itís night and day. Alerts me to traffic quite a way off and itís every dynamic so I can see if the queue ahead is getting shorter or longer which helps me decide if I need to switch routes or if it would have cleared up by the time I reach it.
    ETA is also much more accurate than Google( over estimates) or Garmin under estimates.
    Originally posted by Typhoon2000
    Agree with the TomTom live traffic, particularly whether the queue gets longer or shorter
    • Majic
    • By Majic 8th Apr 19, 3:13 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Majic
    Google maps uses the location of all the Android smartphones and any other device using google maps plus other information to build up very accurate traffic maps. Due to the massive amount of data they have access too you won't get a more accurate traffic map from any other provider (but other providers do use this data).

So when you put in a destination you will get a very accurate arrival time and the best route, which will also update if there is a faster route as you are travelling.

Plus you also have the latest up to date maps when using it.

No standalone Sat Nav will come close to this level of accuracy so i personally see them as pretty much redundant these days.
    Originally posted by Takmon
    Just tried it for the first time, very accurate in terms of arrival time. Didn't hear a peep out of device, how does it tell you if there is a quicker route and warn you of speed cameras? Only went on a short journey so didn't encounter any problems
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 8th Apr 19, 3:32 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Takmon
    Just tried it for the first time, very accurate in terms of arrival time. Didn't hear a peep out of device, how does it tell you if there is a quicker route and warn you of speed cameras? Only went on a short journey so didn't encounter any problems
    If there is a quicker route is will come up on the screen asking if you want to accept it or not.

Speed cameras show up as an icon on the road ahead.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 8th Apr 19, 3:35 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    couriervanman
    TomTom live traffic is way better than google or waze......if it was me id still choose a sat nav with live traffic over smart phone
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 8th Apr 19, 4:02 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 3,373 Thanks
    Arklight
    How good do most people need it to be?
    • Majic
    • By Majic 16th Apr 19, 12:04 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Majic
    Done a 400 mile round trip to the south coast over the last few days, thought it would be an ideal opportunity to try out Google Maps for the first time. My thoughts:

Within 10 minutes of starting my journey a lorry was on fire, with a fire engine at hand. This came up as a delay on google maps which was good. After that it was very accurate in detecting delays on the M5 and came up with alternatives. Finding parking and petrol stations, again very good. Overall I was impressed. The only couple of things I miss compared with Tom Tom is 1) you can see the traffic queue on a Tom Tom and this can influence whether to pick an alternative and 2) On a TomTom you have reference to the actual speed you are travelling which is very handy.

Given the choice I would pick a Tom Tom but taking into consideration the cost I am happy enough with Google Maps
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 16th Apr 19, 12:47 PM
    • 2,203 Posts
    • 3,373 Thanks
    Arklight
    I would generally prefer a standalone Sat Nav. Google have numerous ulterior motives for offering live traffic on their apps, none of which have anything to do with you getting from A to B through the best route.

Sadly I suspect that the days of TomTom and Garmin making their own equipment are coming to an end, unless they want to start making phones.

I did find that you can get TomTom as an app on your phone, for about £20 a year. Which seems reasonable.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.gplay.navapp
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 16th Apr 19, 12:48 PM
    • 6,727 Posts
    • 6,652 Thanks
    DoaM
    Your speedo tells you what speed you are travelling. Experience with your vehicle should tell you the differential between speedo reading and actual speed; I know that 75 on my speedo is a real 70 for example.

Google Maps shows traffic holdups as lengths of yellow or red road, and also tends to show approximate time delay (in my experience).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Majic
    • By Majic 16th Apr 19, 4:16 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Majic
    Your speedo tells you what speed you are travelling. Experience with your vehicle should tell you the differential between speedo reading and actual speed; I know that 75 on my speedo is a real 70 for example.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Speed on the sat nav is very handy as it eliminates having to look at speedo, can concentrate on road, mirrors, sat nav. One thing less to have to look at
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Apr 19, 4:31 PM
    • 21,785 Posts
    • 20,497 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Speed on the sat nav is very handy as it eliminates having to look at speedo
    Umm, why is your satnav more in your view of the road than your speedo?

Get the satnav WELL out of the way, because you rarely need look at it! (Has there even been a nav made in the last decade that doesn't do voice directions?)
    • basill
    • By basill 16th Apr 19, 6:09 PM
    • 1,203 Posts
    • 576 Thanks
    basill
    Speed on the sat nav is very handy as it eliminates having to look at speedo, can concentrate on road, mirrors, sat nav. One thing less to have to look at

You might like the Waze app, it uses google data and adds a few Satnav like features such as on screen Speedo/speed limit, warnings of a variety of upcoming hazards,speed traps etc., favourite destinations, add a stop to the journey plan and others. It's easy to configure to suit you.

I also clung to my old sat nav but for the price ( Free!) Waze is my choice now.

B
    • Majic
    • By Majic 16th Apr 19, 7:55 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Majic
    Umm, why is your satnav more in your view of the road than your speedo?

Get the satnav WELL out of the way, because you rarely need look at it! (Has there even been a nav made in the last decade that doesn't do voice directions?)
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Mine had voice directions, is in the centre of my windscreen and I probably glance at it once every 20 seconds or so. Road, mirrors, satnav, Road, mirrors, satnav, Road, mirrors, satnav

No need to look at speedo with a tomtom
    • Richard53
    • By Richard53 17th Apr 19, 6:52 AM
    • 2,850 Posts
    • 2,351 Thanks
    Richard53
    I'm a big fan of TomTom (I'm basically in love with 'Jane'), but for the last couple of journeys I have been using Google maps on my phone, mainly because of very positive comments on this forum. I've missed the actual speed readout, but that's about it. I'm honestly very impressed. There were no big traffic issues when I was using it, but even the yellow/red colour of the route when approaching a queue was helpful. I won't be binning the satnav just yet, but I can't see myself replacing it when it dies/becomes obsolete.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
    • dawnydee73
    • By dawnydee73 17th Apr 19, 5:38 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 4,544 Thanks
    dawnydee73
    I have TomTom speed camera app installed which shows the speed and cameras on google maps, wouldn't go back to a standalone satnav,much prefer google maps
    Last edited by dawnydee73; 17-04-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,395Posts Today

4,295Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin