Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DevonFella
    • By DevonFella 6th Apr 19, 2:28 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DevonFella
    Council Tax Support ended due to pension pot?
    • 6th Apr 19, 2:28 PM
    Council Tax Support ended due to pension pot? 6th Apr 19 at 2:28 PM
    Having made a new claim for reduction I have had a bill from my local authority in full, they say because my 'savings' exceed 16,000. The only way I can think of to arrive at that conclusion is if they have added in a private pension pot on which I have made capital withdrawals but take no income. I am 66 on state pension only, my wife 56 who is building a counselling business and presently not earning enough to exceed her tax allowance.
    So my question is, can they regard my pension pot as capital??
    Last edited by DevonFella; 09-04-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Page 2
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 16th Apr 19, 3:19 AM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    Xbigman
    You should largely forget the DWP rules because councils have a lot of freedom to set up any council tax system they want. If your council decides that money held in a pension account that can be accessed without penalty is classed as savings, then that is what it is. And tax is not considered a penalty in this instance.
    You should write to your council and clarify what your pension savings are classed as because mistakes do happen.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,132Posts Today

7,302Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin