Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arcadiune
    • By arcadiune 6th Apr 19, 10:26 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    arcadiune
    Problem with rooks and crows ?
    • 6th Apr 19, 10:26 AM
    Problem with rooks and crows ? 6th Apr 19 at 10:26 AM
    I and a couple of neighbours have had a big problem for ages with large flocks of rooks and crows in a nearby wood with their droppings on in my case my car and their's on their washing and during the summer in the garden. In addition they are protected by law.

We finally discovered a firm and their website called "Portek laser strike hand held bird scarer" and their very interesting on line video a couple of days ago which works by scaring them off with a powerful beam of I think halogen light and seems to work well when it's dusk, however quite expensive. We decided to use halogen torches (mine from the RAC) pointing them at the large flocks a couple of days ago and bingo no droppings at all since then with no sign of the large flocks sometimes a thousand or more !

Hope it helps anyone with a similar problem....
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 6th Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    • 22,397 Posts
    • 18,412 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 6th Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    • 6th Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    It's not rooks and crows:

"a Crow in a crowd is a Rook, a Rook on its own is a Crow"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/naturescalendar/winter/farmland/buckenham/buck_farm.shtml
    • arcadiune
    • By arcadiune 6th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    arcadiune
    • 6th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    • 6th Apr 19, 12:53 PM
    It's the end result that matters not who caused it, would you like it ?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 6th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 6,176 Posts
    • 4,665 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 6th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 6th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    The correct term is carrion crow or hooded crow who are two members of the crow family.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/hooded-crow/

People commonly refer to the carrion crow as a'crow'.

Hence the Scottish rhyme 'Three Craws Sat Upon a Wa'.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 6th Apr 19, 6:53 PM
    • 15,345 Posts
    • 13,908 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 6th Apr 19, 6:53 PM
    • 6th Apr 19, 6:53 PM
    Stone the crows!
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 6th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 4,557 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 6th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    • 6th Apr 19, 8:14 PM
    Stone the crows!
    Originally posted by maninthestreet
    Stoned crows?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    • 22,397 Posts
    • 18,412 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    • 7th Apr 19, 11:14 AM
    The correct term is carrion crow or hooded crow who are two members of the crow family.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/hooded-crow/

People commonly refer to the carrion crow as a'crow'.

Hence the Scottish rhyme 'Three Craws Sat Upon a Wa'.
    Originally posted by sheramber

But if they're in a flock as the OP describes then they're not crows at all, they are rooks.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 7th Apr 19, 1:25 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 71,455 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 7th Apr 19, 1:25 PM
    • 7th Apr 19, 1:25 PM
    Let's get to the rook of the OP's post and not crow about the matter.

As OP pointed out a halogen torch is a lot cheaper than the solution offered by the Portek Laser and seems to do the same job - another great moneysaving tip!
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 7th Apr 19, 3:37 PM
    • 3,693 Posts
    • 4,641 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 7th Apr 19, 3:37 PM
    • 7th Apr 19, 3:37 PM
    are duracell batteries needed
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • colcheslad
    • By colcheslad 8th Apr 19, 12:26 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    colcheslad
    No need to crow on about it
    • MarkBargain
    • By MarkBargain 8th Apr 19, 1:58 PM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    MarkBargain
    The rooks existed in that wood before cars were invented and before woodland was cut down to make space for housing, so perhaps leave nature in peace to live in the remaining spaces it has left.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 13th Apr 19, 3:13 AM
    • 4,502 Posts
    • 8,628 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Has anyone seen Steel Magnolias? They managed to get rid of lots of noisy birds by shooting at them
    • nanny beach
    • By nanny beach 13th Apr 19, 3:57 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    nanny beach
    I live fairy near the sea and its seagulls (and Yes, aparently, there are NO such things) using the cars and windows for target practice. I read a few years ago, that rooks are black with pink feet and beaks, crows are black with black feet and beak, so what to believe!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 13th Apr 19, 5:26 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    Robisere
    Has anyone seen Steel Magnolias? They managed to get rid of lots of noisy birds by shooting at them
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    This should answer questions about differences in the Corvid sub-species:
    https://www.nbcenvironment.co.uk/bird-control-services/nuisance-birds/crow-family/

It is illegal to shoot them, they are protected in the UK:
    https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/b/east/posts/the-legal-status-of-corvids-in-the-uk

The steel Magnolia reference is incorrect: Corvids have been protected species in the USA since 1918:
    https://audubonportland.org/wcc/urban/crows

They are recognised as the most intelligent species of birds. In the Army, as part of Escape & Evasion training, I learned how to befriend a rookery by leaving food near our Hide. After one day, a real racket from the crows told us when anyone else approached. Better than watch dogs! Living in a rural area, I have got used to hearing the noise from a nearby rookery. As for the mess: use a car cover. Live & let live, they were here before us.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 13th Apr 19, 5:58 PM
    • 3,375 Posts
    • 4,557 Thanks
    George Michael
    As for the mess: use a car cover. Live & let live, they were here before us.
    Originally posted by Robisere
    As I've lived in my current house for 25 years, I doubt very much if any of the birds that crap on my car were here before me!
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 16th Apr 19, 3:51 PM
    • 1,838 Posts
    • 1,420 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    It's not rooks and crows:

"a Crow in a crowd is a Rook, a Rook on its own is a Crow"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/naturescalendar/winter/farmland/buckenham/buck_farm.shtml
    Originally posted by agrinnall

Sounds great when said in a Norfolk accent.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 17th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 3,484 Thanks
    Robisere
    As I've lived in my current house for 25 years, I doubt very much if any of the birds that crap on my car were here before me!
    Originally posted by George Michael
    You mistook my meaning: all bird species were here long before us. In fact, by many millions of years, as all birds are descended from a common dinosaur species.

So maybe you should be thankful that Pterosaurs did not survive, anything with that huge wingspan would make a humongous mess on your car!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,250Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin