Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 5th Apr 19, 11:35 AM
    • 9,054Posts
    • 16,662Thanks
    calleyw
    Mini Solar panel and draining power
    • 5th Apr 19, 11:35 AM
    Mini Solar panel and draining power 5th Apr 19 at 11:35 AM
    Afternoon All,

I have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/RAVPower-UK-RP-PC005-Waterproof-Smartphones/dp/B01FH2HYCW

On sunny days great for charging up my kindle, phone and a power bank to use later.

The only issue is if it goes cloudy or I miss the sun setting it seems to start discharging anything attached. I guess I need something to stop that doing it. But I am not sure what I need, any ideas and it needs to be cheap.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
Page 1
    • gefnew
    • By gefnew 5th Apr 19, 1:50 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    gefnew
    • 5th Apr 19, 1:50 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 1:50 PM
    Hi
    It should have a blocking diode in the circuit to stop this happening.
    gef
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 5th Apr 19, 2:10 PM
    • 9,054 Posts
    • 16,662 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 5th Apr 19, 2:10 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 2:10 PM
    Hi
    It should have a blocking diode in the circuit to stop this happening.
    gef
    Originally posted by gefnew

Thanks for the reply. Have you looked at the link of the product, i can seeing nothing suggesting it does.

Its a portable solar charger. You can fold it up and put away. I know it discharging in low light levels. So need to stop it with something between the charger and the phone/kindle/powerbank I am charging.

Yours

Calley x

• gefnew
    • By gefnew 5th Apr 19, 2:42 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    gefnew
    • 5th Apr 19, 2:42 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 2:42 PM
    from amazon q&a section.
    As IPod and e readers are low power devices a solar charger of 15 watts or above will charge as quickly as a mains charger in full sun. However the best way to use these solar panels is with a power bank to store the charge . I use my panel for camping to power a phone, tablet, and lights with a rav power 24 watt pane…
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 16th Apr 19, 10:00 PM
    • 9,054 Posts
    • 16,662 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:00 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 10:00 PM
    from amazon q&a section.
    As IPod and e readers are low power devices a solar charger of 15 watts or above will charge as quickly as a mains charger in full sun. However the best way to use these solar panels is with a power bank to store the charge . I use my panel for camping to power a phone, tablet, and lights with a rav power 24 watt pane…
    Originally posted by gefnew

Thats not really answering my question about how to stop discharging when cloudy or at sunset. When for what ever reason I am not around to disconnect items.

I am aware how to use the product.

Yours

Calley x
    Last edited by calleyw; 16-04-2019 at 10:05 PM.

• Dave Fowler
    • By Dave Fowler 17th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    • 505 Posts
    • 894 Thanks
    Dave Fowler
    • 17th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    • 17th Apr 19, 6:54 AM
    Thats not really answering my question about how to stop discharging when cloudy or at sunset. When for what ever reason I am not around to disconnect items.

I am aware how to use the product.

Yours

Calley x
    Originally posted by calleyw
    Just a thought. Is it just the phone that discharges? On my phone I can set it up so that some of the power-intensive apps are allowed to run whilst the phone is charging and the phone is in sleep mode. Is it possible that you have some apps set up to do this and the phone thinks it is changing whenever a charging lead is attached?

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,449Posts Today

7,135Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin