Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluenose1
    • By bluenose1 4th Apr 19, 8:57 PM
    • 2,184Posts
    • 3,586Thanks
    bluenose1
    (NON FINANCIAL) Retirement plans/ dreams/ discussion.
    • 4th Apr 19, 8:57 PM
    (NON FINANCIAL) Retirement plans/ dreams/ discussion. 4th Apr 19 at 8:57 PM
    Hi,
    not sure if anyone wants to join in but on Bugslett suggestion thought we could have a thread to discuss lifestyles, hobbies, travel, interests etc etc that we pursue or intend to when we retire.

I am 2 years and 2 months away from retiring at 55. I change my mind regularly, though at moment hoping to downsize and be on holiday for several months of the year. I wonder after a couple of years of retirement, when my youngest who is 16 is more independent we will choose to base ourselves abroad, Brexit allowing of course.
    I run (very slowly) or volunteer to marshall at a weekly local Parkrun and love the social side of the cake, coffee and chat afterwards. Have met some lovely people from all different walks of life and it always cheers me up.
    Really looking forward to retiring but fear the loss of income in case I need more money to help kids out with more than I thought for deposits on houses etc etc.
    Money SPENDING Expert

Page 12
    • atush
    • By atush 13th Jun 19, 4:11 PM
    • 17,980 Posts
    • 11,414 Thanks
    atush
    That must be fantastic to have a house in Florida. We got friendly with a New Yorker who spends his summers in New York and winters in Florida, a snowbird. Though I think the other year he had some damage to his Florida home when there was some flooding.
    Not sure if we will buy a property abroad or just do long let holidays.
    Originally posted by bluenose1
    Probably wise not to own a holiday home abroad. i own 2, and they can be expensive. But i am american and want a place to retire half the year to eventually, and i need a place to be registered to vote, pay tax etc (fl is cheaper for tax as you dont pay State income tax). As i sold our family home when my mom died in 2001.

Hurricane irma was supposed to go right over the top of my house. I went to bed at midnight convinced i would have no home when i woke up. But it took a dog leg turn and went inland south of me so no major damage just some rain blown under the front door. Some roof shingles off etc.

We have a little gite in Brittany we have had since 1990. It cost like 5000 gbp. Will sell it in a few years once the OH retires fully i suspect. Used it for weekends and the odd week when we lived in Jersey. Only use it for a few weeks now.
    • atush
    • By atush 13th Jun 19, 4:12 PM
    • 17,980 Posts
    • 11,414 Thanks
    atush
    Ha, me to, just got in from work and put our heating on again, would you believe it's June.
    Though no doubt I will be moaning about the heat when we go to Disney, Florida in August as I know from experience it is rather hot and humid. There again we only do the Parks in the morning and chill by the pool from early afternoon so I will be brave and soldier on!!! No matter the weather beats being in work.
    Hoping it might be my last Summer in work.
    Originally posted by bluenose1
    I am ashamed of myself, but it is 52F today (11C?). I turned my heating on for an hour. First time EVER in June.
    • bluenose1
    • By bluenose1 13th Jun 19, 4:21 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    bluenose1
    I can see that with bills & costs of running the house. & glad they are spending it: my own parents were painfully frugal to the end (25 years ago), trying to get OHs old folks spending has never been easy!
    Originally posted by cfw1994
    From what I have seen of various elderly members of my family spending has declined as they have got into their 70s. In fact my Auntie who is in her mid 80s has decided she doesn't want to go out at all and spends all day watching TV and evening drinking whiskey. Sounds a terribly unhealthy life I know but she is quite obstinate and no-one can make her do what she doesn't want to.
    The irony is she is on a decent pension and higher rate AA but has very little expenditure. Always amazes me how inactive she now is as worked as a Home Help until her late 60s and loved her foreign holidays. She was always on the go.
    Think I have a lazy gene so god help me if I get to that age.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• bluenose1
    • By bluenose1 13th Jun 19, 4:34 PM
    • 2,184 Posts
    • 3,586 Thanks
    bluenose1
    Probably wise not to own a holiday home abroad. i own 2, and they can be expensive. But i am american and want a place to retire half the year to eventually, and i need a place to be registered to vote, pay tax etc (fl is cheaper for tax as you dont pay State income tax). As i sold our family home when my mom died in 2001.

Hurricane irma was supposed to go right over the top of my house. I went to bed at midnight convinced i would have no home when i woke up. But it took a dog leg turn and went inland south of me so no major damage just some rain blown under the front door. Some roof shingles off etc.

We have a little gite in Brittany we have had since 1990. It cost like 5000 gbp. Will sell it in a few years once the OH retires fully i suspect. Used it for weekends and the odd week when we lived in Jersey. Only use it for a few weeks now.
    Originally posted by atush
    Think Hurricane Irma may have been the one that damaged his property, you were lucky. Think we would only buy property abroad if we intended to use it as our main residence. I am addicted to A Place in the Sun and do like the idea of living a lot of the year in a warm climate.
    Money SPENDING Expert

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

149Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter