Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AbbieFA
    • By AbbieFA 4th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AbbieFA
    Bruckner Ferdinand
    • 4th Apr 19, 4:51 PM
    Bruckner Ferdinand 4th Apr 19 at 4:51 PM
    Hi, has anyone been approached by, or invested with an Austrian finance company called Bruckner Ferdinand?
    My mum has invested some money with them, but it is looking like they are a scam company.
Page 1
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 4th Apr 19, 5:10 PM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 7,087 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 4th Apr 19, 5:10 PM
    • 4th Apr 19, 5:10 PM
    Took less than 15 seconds to find this with Google
    • We believe this firm has been providing financial services or products in the UK without our authorisation. Find out why to be especially wary of dealing with this unauthorised firm and how to protect yourself from scammers.
    https://www.fca.org.uk/news/warnings/bruckner-ferdinand
    • nrsql
    • By nrsql 5th Apr 19, 2:05 AM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    nrsql
    • 5th Apr 19, 2:05 AM
    • 5th Apr 19, 2:05 AM
    And
    This firm has falsely been claiming to be FCA authorised and regulated under firm reference number 443177
    • AbbieFA
    • By AbbieFA 5th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AbbieFA
    • 5th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 6:47 PM
    Thanks, the FSA actually contacted my mum to warn her, they've only been aware of them for a week. But the company has been trading for 4 months apparently, so was hoping to find someone who had dealt with them.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 5th Apr 19, 7:51 PM
    • 5,754 Posts
    • 9,542 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 5th Apr 19, 7:51 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 7:51 PM
    Thanks, the FSA actually contacted my mum to warn her, they've only been aware of them for a week. But the company has been trading for 4 months apparently, so was hoping to find someone who had dealt with them.
    Originally posted by AbbieFA
    As it has only been going for 4 months, and people who would invest in a scam like this don't hang around Savings & Investment forums, you are very unlikely to find anyone.

Your mother's money is almost certainly gone. (Unless she paid them via a debit card or credit card, then you have an avenue to investigate.) File a report to Action Fraud (don't expect to hear back from them) then write off the money.

Arrange for her phone number to be changed as she is on a suckers' list and is vulnerable to losing more money. Do not pay attention to the people who will contact her later claiming they can get her money back, this will be a follow up scam.

Does she have Lasting Powers of Attorney in place?
    • Dfavoured1
    • By Dfavoured1 20th Apr 19, 11:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dfavoured1
    • 20th Apr 19, 11:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 19, 11:24 PM
    Hi AbbieFA,
    I invested some money with them and it looks as though they are a scam company. Their website isn’t running again and calls go unanswered. I thought they were legit as I checked out their FCA number in the open registry. Such a shame and I don’t think Financial Ombudsman can help as they cloned the real company and they are obviously not legit. Does anyone know if it’s possible to recover my money? Thanks
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 21st Apr 19, 5:29 AM
    • 14,328 Posts
    • 17,082 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 21st Apr 19, 5:29 AM
    • 21st Apr 19, 5:29 AM
    It's almost certainly impossible to recover your money.
    Beware of any company or individual that contacts you and says they can recover as that will be a fraud.
    How did BF contact you, do you know how they obtained your details, and what did they offer?
    • Dfavoured1
    • By Dfavoured1 23rd Apr 19, 10:58 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dfavoured1
    • 23rd Apr 19, 10:58 PM
    • 23rd Apr 19, 10:58 PM
    Hi Another Joe,
    I was browsing for investment opportunities in England and I must have inputted my number somewhere. Long story short they called the next day and what we negotiated was a fixed deposit kind of thingy and they said they there into real estate. They offered 6% interest which I tried to negotiate to 8% but they ‘advised’ to be careful with companies that offer higher and then we agreed for 6% interest which is pretty much what I have gotten with legit companies and banks in my country because I am not originally from England. I paid the money and when it cleared they called and sent me the documents. They even called after two weeks saying they will have a get together for their investors in London sometime in June. The person attached to my account sounded so nice and talked about his family and he asked about mine. I can’t believe I have been scammed that money means a whole lot to me, its my savings for 2 years unfortunately people are so selfish and greedy, it’s repulsive mad:
    Last edited by Dfavoured1; 23-04-2019 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Voodoo
    • Hasbeen
    • By Hasbeen 24th Apr 19, 12:10 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    Hasbeen
    • 24th Apr 19, 12:10 PM
    • 24th Apr 19, 12:10 PM
    I don't know that Bruckner Ferdinand
    Originally posted by Mary G. Ball
    Look it up on the school computer?
    • GWhizz
    • By GWhizz 15th May 19, 1:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GWhizz
    Sadly, although I THOUGHT I had done due diligence, this outfit was very slick ( as suggested in previous report, and covered the FCA check by cloning a legit outfit. It seems I invested early in their operation ( mid Jan' 19) and although they promised quarterly dividends ( due in April), they clearly had no intention of operating for more than 3 months. Lesson...... always check EXACTLY where the money is paid to........ forget the suff on the WWW, forget the emails, forget the telephone talk........ check where the money is going..... which in this case, did not match. Moral....... don't trust anyone if you've not seen the whites of their eyes.... and even then......
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 15th May 19, 1:15 PM
    • 6,486 Posts
    • 4,841 Thanks
    Reaper
    The biggest warning sign is being called out of the blue. Legitimate FCA registered companies are not allowed to cold call you (and take no notice when they say "you ticked a box somewhere". That's not explicit consent)
    • MzzzP
    • By MzzzP 17th May 19, 4:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MzzzP
    Bruckner Ferdinand scam.
    Hi GWhizz,
    I also have been caught out. For my information could you let me know if you checked the FCA Register before investing and on what date(s). What you typed in, what results did you get and did you make a print out.

The reason for asking is that I am considering a Negligence claim against the FCA, and your information may help. I would ask you for a copy of the print out but it is not allowed under Money Saving Expert rules.

Similarly, If you made the above check you may also care to look into pursuing a Claim against the FCA.

Regards,
    MzzzP
    • rr755507
    • By rr755507 17th May 19, 5:00 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    rr755507
    Hi GWhizz,
    The reason for asking is that I am considering a Negligence claim against the FCA, and your information may help. I would ask you for a copy of the print out but it is not allowed under Money Saving Expert rules.

Similarly, If you made the above check you may also care to look into pursuing a Claim against the FCA.

Regards,
    MzzzP
    Originally posted by MzzzP
    What did the FCA do that was negligent?

Not that it really matters, the FCA have statutory immunity.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th May 19, 6:19 PM
    • 14,328 Posts
    • 17,082 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    I fail to see how (immunity aside) FCA can be held responsible for a website (let alone one in a foreign country) or for someone responding to a telephone call.
    If someone put up a website in (say) Albania purporting to be (say) Hargreaves Lansdown with bank account details and you went ahead and paid them, possibly you you could claim against the bank who allowed that account to be opened. It's not FCAs fault or responsibility though.
    Please dont criticise my spelling. It's excellent. Its my typing that's bad.
    • MzzzP
    • By MzzzP 17th May 19, 6:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MzzzP
    Bruckner Ferdinand scam.
    H i rr755507,
    I am a novice to this and I appreciate your comments.
    The FCA Register confirmed and authorised Buckner Ferdinand to me in January 2019.

Your statutory immunity comments are particularly appreciated and nearly gave me a heart attack. I would like to think I am not grasping at straws by quoting FCA : Written question - 228164 asked by David Duguid, answered by John Glen. An extract states " The FCA's statutory immunity is held to account by an Independent Complaints Commissioner who can consider complaints about the way the FCA has carried out, or failed to carry out, its role. The Commissioner has powers to recommend the payment of compensation and to require the FCA to publish its response to the recommendation, for example where it decides not to pay compensation."

Regards,

MzzzP
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 17th May 19, 6:41 PM
    • 16,669 Posts
    • 23,601 Thanks
    antrobus
    H i rr755507,
    The FCA Register confirmed and authorised Buckner Ferdinand to me in January 2019.
    There is a Buckner Ferdinand which is an EEA authorised firm. That doesn't help you if you have sent money to a fraudster pretending to be Buckner Ferdinand.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th May 19, 6:52 PM
    • 14,328 Posts
    • 17,082 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    H i rr755507,

Your statutory immunity comments are particularly appreciated and nearly gave me a heart attack. I would like to think I am not grasping at straws by quoting FCA : Written question ..... <snipped>
    Unfortunately you didn't invest with BF you invested with someone pretending to be BF.
    And you aren't even grasping at straw. You are grasping at a mirage.
    FCA don't have an open ended remit to compensate anyone who sends money to the wrong person. As I said, you may have a route via whichever financial institution, presumably a bank, allowed the bank account to be established. That would be a straw, perhaps.
    • MzzzP
    • By MzzzP 18th May 19, 10:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MzzzP
    Bruckner Ferdinand scam.
    Hi Another Joe & Antrobus,
    The FCA has now given to me the names which the Authorisation number I received confirmation of belong. None of those names are Bruckner Ferdinand.
    At this time the FCA is looking into this matter for me.
    With respect, you are now only tending to confuse the matter so I would rather not say any more.
    Regards,
    MzzzP
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 18th May 19, 7:59 PM
    • 14,328 Posts
    • 17,082 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Hi Another Joe & Antrobus,
    The FCA has now given to me the names which the Authorisation number I received confirmation of belong. None of those names are Bruckner Ferdinand.
    At this time the FCA is looking into this matter for me.
    With respect, you are now only tending to confuse the matter so I would rather not say any more.
    Regards,
    MzzzP
    When you've sorted your confusion out please do post back with an update.
    As it's the FCA I won't be holding my breath.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 19th May 19, 9:52 PM
    • 5,754 Posts
    • 9,542 Thanks
    Malthusian
    There is a straw for MzzzP to grasp at here. https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/fca-defends-complaint-over-handling-of-clone-firm-case/

This complaint may even have involved the same clone scam, given that the firm involved was Austrian.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

5,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin