Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 1st Apr 19, 12:12 AM
    • 46Posts
    • 11Thanks
    ellyroo
    Help please
    • 1st Apr 19, 12:12 AM
    Help please 1st Apr 19 at 12:12 AM
    hello! i dont know if this is the right place to post aboot this but here goes

so im 23, recently left/ran away from home and currently residing withmy sister until i find me a new place of my own (FIRST HOME! DD ) and i've been doing budgeting and stuff, and im just a totally new starter so idk i need some advice

so income from my disability would be about 830 total now im trying to get a place on DSS / housing benefit which hopefully should enable me to find somewhere suitable for me to stay at college and hopefully just be a good home

so here's what i kind of had for my budgeting

- 100 Rent (IF DSS gets approved)
    - 250 food and toilet stuff (im going to be living near a aldi and will do a bi weekly 100 pound shopping there or a 50 pound weekly shop, but my sister says i should increae this to 250 but ive seen people in aldi pay for shopping with a trolley that looks easily containing 2 weeks worth of food for 60 quid)
    - 40 Phone and Internet (Virgin media are basically ..monopoly in this area, so it'll be through them)
    - 30 Council Tax
    - 50 Some Personal stuff
    - 150 gas and electricity (one bedroom flat in winter) will go down in summer

right now im on DLA + EESA (EESA rather than ESA) but i currently am not on housing benefit, my sister says i should apply for PIP but i worry it might get me sanctioned

any help?
Page 2
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 26th Apr 19, 10:28 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    Heyo!

a top up is easy done by me as the budget would allow for probably around a 150 top up, i also have a guarantoor available too , too? (my dad offered) if thats the right way to say it

i also gave up on the council thing as soon as i looked into it, a bit dissapointed but hey, trials of a first mover me guess xD.

also i dont really want to flatshare, im the type of person people get grated with eventually, plus i'm super socially awkward (thanks aspergers)

Gorgie is nice too, but im thinking about chancing my luck somewhere a little more out like Liberton or Such for maybe a 1 Bedroom flat not in a block? i forgot the name of the house
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 27th Apr 19, 7:42 AM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    I really feel for you, but I'm another one advising caution - I know the areas you're looking at and don't think you're going to get what you're looking for, at least not without a very long wait. The rental market is so competitive.

I know you're keen to get out onto your own two feet, but in the meantime, how about using the time with your sister to do some trial runs of paying your way, budgeting (and sticking to it!) for a few months? That way when you do find somewhere, you'll have a far better idea of what you need to survive, and you'll be setting yourself up for success.

It's a huge step to be living alone, and budgeting, and trying to create a life for yourself in a new place, so baby-steps might be helpful to get you where you want to be in the long-run. It might take you more months than you intended, but it will be worth it
    Debt at Nov 2017: 8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: 4,161 Current: 2,512 Aim for Dec 2019: 0
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #04 - 1,649.28 / 4,161
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 27th Apr 19, 11:25 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    Long wait even if i go private? , The council looks like a no option tbh
    • BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    • By BlackCoffeeNoSugar 27th Apr 19, 1:15 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    BlackCoffeeNoSugar
    I really don't want to pee on your dreams, but yep - the private market moves unbelievably fast. It's not unheard of for flats to be let the same day they're advertised. I'd also agree with GlasweJen's figures for what you'd need - even in Liberton area, as you're close to the hospitals and university there, so lots of demand for accomodation. This time of year is a tricky one too, as lots of students are looking for their flats for the next academic year (i.e. with leases from September) and landlords like having flats available to rent in August, as people will pay ridiculous prices for short term accommodation during the festivals.

I'm sorry this all sounds so negative - and you might get lucky, and find somewhere perfect in the city which is in budget, and get it before anyone beats you to it, (and I hope you do!). BUT, I think you might want to consider alternative options too. Maybe somewhere a bit further out (say Fife, or parts of Midlothian) which would be easy travelling distance to the city, but far cheaper to live, might be an idea? It's really hard when you're first starting out, and with little support, so I do wish you every luck.
    Debt at Nov 2017: 8,619 Debt at Dec 2018: 4,161 Current: 2,512 Aim for Dec 2019: 0
    Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2019 #04 - 1,649.28 / 4,161
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 27th Apr 19, 5:17 PM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 12,316 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Bear in mind that in the areas you're looking you'll be competing with students who have stable incomes and no council tax to pay, probably with jobs too. Landlords will them any day over an unemployed person who's benefits can change on the whim of the DWP, you still have to switch onto PIP which is no mean feat.

I remember having an income of SAAS bursary, student loan, income from PT job, DLA, working tax credits and living in morningside and even then finding the cost of living ridiculous and that was 12 years ago. Frankly I think you're living in la la land.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 28th Apr 19, 12:57 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    hmm! I think i'll take a bit of a while to think of maybe where maybe to head for, I might set my targets back to maybe Larbert which will be a lot easier.

Again forgive me as i'm like... a first time noob, i'm also known to be a bit of a all over the place ahah.

I'm just wondering, is the whole of midlothian off the books with students, or would areas like Dalkeith - Bonnyrigg - Balerno - Penicuik be easier?

If Midlothian/Edinburgh is off the Cards then, I'm a bit wary of glasgow having heard many a horror story from people i know living there about violence, Maybe forth valley would be the best bet to stick to?

im all over the place gfhgd
    Last edited by ellyroo; 28-04-2019 at 1:06 AM.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 28th Apr 19, 7:14 AM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 12,316 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Where do you actually live now? What areas do you need to be able to access? Where does your family live?

You can't just drop a pin on the Central belt and hope for the best. I lived in Livingston for a while, the shops were amazing but it might not suit you.

I actually have a relative who lives in Larbert, good chippy but crawling with young boys at night hanging out around the shops and making a nuisance of themselves.

If your family are in Edinburgh would Linlithgow or Polmont not be better? On the train line and half way between Falkirk and Edinburgh?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 28th Apr 19, 1:44 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    Where do you actually live now? What areas do you need to be able to access? Where does your family live?

You can't just drop a pin on the Central belt and hope for the best. I lived in Livingston for a while, the shops were amazing but it might not suit you.

I actually have a relative who lives in Larbert, good chippy but crawling with young boys at night hanging out around the shops and making a nuisance of themselves.

If your family are in Edinburgh would Linlithgow or Polmont not be better? On the train line and half way between Falkirk and Edinburgh?
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    In terms of area needed to Access, Larbert Via Train As i'll hopefully be commuting there Every monday or/and thursday and staying around 4pm to 11pm .

And Edinburgh (Slateford area) for Sports/Fitness As i'll be doing football around the pitch thing they have near the Corn exchange,

i loved living in polmont :3!, super recommend the area but trouble is my mumn lives there too and idk, lots of problems there i dont wanna get into maybe?

Right now im stationed in denny, but its kind of ... middle of nowhereish
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 28th Apr 19, 3:47 PM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 12,316 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Yeah Denny isn't great for transport links, what about the area around Falkirk high?

If Polmont is out (fair enough in the circumstances) I'd try there or Linlithgow as that railway line is really reliable.

Falkirk wise Camelon is well connected and you can change onto the FH line easily.

NOT BUYING IT
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 28th Apr 19, 4:45 PM
    • 1,590 Posts
    • 1,992 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Goodluck with your plans

You have council tax at 40 and then 30 per month.

The Band A CT for Edinburgh is 95.64 a month inclusive of rates?

It may be worth doing a full SOA Unless I have missed something so you can get a proper view of your costs.
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 29th Apr 19, 1:07 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    Yeah Denny isn't great for transport links, what about the area around Falkirk high?

If Polmont is out (fair enough in the circumstances) I'd try there or Linlithgow as that railway line is really reliable.

Falkirk wise Camelon is well connected and you can change onto the FH line easily.
    My sister used to live in camelon! , it's got one of my favorite places to go for food too!, and the walk upto larbert is awesome!, if i can find a decent spot near the car garages i would maybe consider it!, though in terms of FV area Larbert is defo my number 1 pick

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-60590643.html

This flat i've been super interested in, and i might apply for it in a few hours actually!, let me know what you think

I read also in my other thread if i can get my SPD off of my DLA, renting this place should be fairly hassle free!, and camelon does of course have its own aldi and with my bus pass it will be less trouble financially, and my sister lives in denny so it's only a Number 8 bus away :3

Plus i guess as said i'd like to live nearer a hospital (Gives me more peace of mind, even though i admit it's an anxiety problem..?) But i really like larbert , and my studio is only a 10 min walk away!

Also Tax wise i'm sure i qualified for a reduction? Least what the Benefits calculator told me :').

my dad also said for moving, you really should start ..smaller? and get yourself a Really good reference for future moves? so that spot in larbert interests me c:
    Last edited by ellyroo; 29-04-2019 at 1:12 AM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 29th Apr 19, 6:56 AM
    • 5,026 Posts
    • 4,627 Thanks
    poppy12345
    150 per month top up is a huge amount of money for someone claiming benefits. Having your own place is a lot different to living at home with your mum. I don't want to burst your bubble here but realistically can you afford that amount of top up? On paper, it's easier than it looks but realistically most likely not.

For the guarantor, does your dad work? Is he a home owner? Sometimes landlords/agencies will ask for a homeowner guarantor.
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 29th Apr 19, 3:35 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    my dad works, but rents with his new partner .

and yeah!, well.. 150 is the top end of what i would like to pay for rent top up, but im sure i budgeted for it . I actually should give my budget thing a 2nd look just to review it !

Also i had a look at this which is awesome! http://simd.scot/2016/#/simd2016/BTTTFTT/11/-4.0189/55.9157/

and kinda reminded me, How about Gartcosh - Stepps - Lenzie as areas? , Stepps - Gartcosh have a direct route to falkirk via train. and i heard good things about gartcosh

Also i've asked the estate agent guys about the flat in larbert, hopefully will hear from them soon!

((
    I Made this for areas!))

https://docs.google.com/document/d/15Pq_xR8hP_F3NQBou7-k4YDYuadwEU1DmRU57qOLEiQ/edit?usp=sharing
    Last edited by ellyroo; 30-04-2019 at 5:45 AM.
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 30th Apr 19, 12:38 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    heya, um... god this is probably super bad to ask, but is there anywhere on this forum i can like.. make a thread documenting how things go and how the move goes?

I'm lessening my grip on edinburgh, tbh it looks like a mEGA crap of hassle, and might scale my searching back to more centrally parts of the country where rent should be a ton cheaper, as long as it's got a rail line it should be okay

Larbert is still an area im really fond of, And will pitch this as one of the bits im looking at mainly

I went to citizens advice today, and they are gonna check up on my benefits to see if im getting the right amount, and the council is going to help me get a support worker to help me through all the stuffs and that with it, But i'd like.. idk i really liked the idea of having a thread to document this all, like.. ELLIES MOVING JOURNEY: a ballad of butts
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 30th Apr 19, 5:15 PM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 12,316 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Gartcosh is nice but transport wise you won't get far on a Sunday, particularly if Network Rail are updating the train lines.

Lenzie is expensive, there's a good school there and people pay a fortune for a Lenzie postcode to get into the school.

Stepps is handy for Glasgow but possibly not great for Edinburgh. There is a great football area at Glasgow Green if you could switch your activity to there?

Glasgow is an amazing city by the way. I miss Glasgow so much it's unreal.

NOT BUYING IT
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 2nd May 19, 6:20 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    Gartcosh is nice but transport wise you won't get far on a Sunday, particularly if Network Rail are updating the train lines.

Lenzie is expensive, there's a good school there and people pay a fortune for a Lenzie postcode to get into the school.

Stepps is handy for Glasgow but possibly not great for Edinburgh. There is a great football area at Glasgow Green if you could switch your activity to there?

Glasgow is an amazing city by the way. I miss Glasgow so much it's unreal.
    My dad reguarly commutes to glasgow almost once a week for work and home supplies (around the barrowlands) , and i will agree i have really really fond memories of when i went to college in glasgow, I almost actually moved there a year ago to be closer to college until some bad stuff happened and i had to leave.

And glasgow green is a bloddy stunning place, one of my favorite areas to actually relax in, and i find george square a really nice place during the day. glasgow was actually my 2nd choice behind edinburgh.

and ive been looking up glasgow green for football and fitness and it looks ripe what im hoping too is that in glasgow green i can make some friends with the football, not intimate friends but "pals", i do remember glasgow having rather extroverted people, compared to like falkirk or edinburgh where the people were far more introverted.

my number 1 Concern with glasgow really is to do with it's crime rates, but i spose if i go for a stepps or gartcosh, i could avoid the areas with high crimerates, as likely if i end up traveling to glasgow it'll be in the area around city centre which will be...? more policed?.

It's actually kind of moved up to being the main choice of area, when i look for steps i notice a few houses coming up im very interested in in an area called millerston, which is around 1-2 miles outside of stepps and i hear its getting a new train station closeby too, so if the E-G via cumbernauld stops there will be good , and the train services on the days im going to art run nearly to midnight so travelling home should hopefully be a breeze .. i hope?

I'm gonna get myself a few tickets and go around larbert and stepps/gartcosh cause i want to get a true feeling for the areas?,

At this rate too, I feel like edinburgh has really been well shoved out as an option, it just looks unobtainable apart from pure luck, but maybe later on in the property journey, i guess why im so anal about the areas i move to is i actually intend to live in the area i pick indefinately, rather than like 1-3 years? one and done, though i dont think thats how it maybe works? idk, its how i was brought up where my mum picked one good area and stuck with it when she was raising me and my sister.

Just handy too is that if i have sports in glasgow and art in larbert, stepps/gartcosh is slap in the middle.

Schedule wise i wanna like, have this for starts

MONDAY: Art (4PM - 11PM) (Arrive back at home around 11:30 or later)
    Tuesday - Thursday to be filled
    Thursday: Maybe art??
    Friday/Saturday - Football and Food shopping for the week, and visit dad, Maybe if all piled onto a Saturday where i see my dad in the morning before i head off to football, then after football i go to The shops to get stuff for home then ethier a bus or train home,

In future i hope to add volunteering to maybe friday - sunday, i know possibly the place that might have it if they allow us the garden back >, or I might go back to COGC and that'll likely be a monday - wednesday or wednesday - friday, I'm not entirely sure right now i'd just need to settle and fix things

god i hope i dont sound like a leecher that needs a jeremy kyle roasting :<

My sister kind of opposes me moving anywhere but larbert or edinburgh on the grounds that i'd be "running off into the sunset" and being far away from family. Larberts really nice, but i like the convinence that a stepps would offer in being between the places i would want to go, Will wait and see.
    Last edited by ellyroo; 02-05-2019 at 6:34 AM.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 2nd May 19, 11:38 AM
    • 6,818 Posts
    • 12,316 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Glasgow folk like to talk and we are a bit extroverted, I always got told to never leave people out and I found Edinburgh a culture shock. The islands are weird, I'm treated like a total outsider or an accessory of my husband's.

The thing about Glasgow is crime rates are high but a lot of the high profile crime is to do with gangs and drugs, if you're not into gangs and drugs you'll be oblivious to it all.

NOT BUYING IT
    • ellyroo
    • By ellyroo 16th May 19, 9:47 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    ellyroo
    Heya !

So update!, i got a property i'm going for a viewing for in larbert on monday which will be ethier a temporary or permanent place until i could maybe get offered a council house or such around later on, The property i fancied in stepps got snapped up very quickly so .. Bluh.

wish me luck?

Also today i made myself a really nice dinner... for 4.20 lD

(Quorn Chicken nuggets, Sweet and sour sauce, Stir fry vegetables and mushroom, and Egg fried noodles)
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 17th May 19, 5:48 AM
    • 976 Posts
    • 1,169 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    Good luck!

The way to think is everything happens for a reason, in this case something so much better is waiting for you and that's why the first one has gone

Please get your name down with the council now, don't wait until you have somewhere.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

358Posts Today

3,613Users online

Martin's Twitter