Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Amy1987
    • By Amy1987 1st Apr 19, 10:59 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Amy1987
    Remortgaging on discount for first time buyers scheme
    • 1st Apr 19, 10:59 AM
    Remortgaging on discount for first time buyers scheme 1st Apr 19 at 10:59 AM
    Hi there, looking for some advice please with regards to remortgaging on the discount for first time buyers scheme.

My partner and I purchased our first home via this scheme through Cheshire East. It is not a shared ownership scheme, instead we paid 70% of the market value, however, when if and when we come to sell we will have to sell it via the scheme.

Upon the time of purchasing, Halifax was the only mortgage provider willing to lend on the scheme. The irony was (given its to help first time buyers) the payments were higher than some other lenders who would have been prepared to lend at a lower rate if purchased in the traditional way.

Our mortgages fixed term will be coming to an end in September, and I wondered if anyone else has had experience in this and had found any other lenders to Halifax?

Many thanks in advance!

Amy
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 1st Apr 19, 11:59 AM
    • 18,720 Posts
    • 10,327 Thanks
    ACG
    • 1st Apr 19, 11:59 AM
    • 1st Apr 19, 11:59 AM
    It sounds like a section 106?

Assuming it is, it is not limited to Halifax - who told you that? We did one for a customer with major adverse 2-3 years ago. There are plenty of lenders who will do them.

The issue tends to be what the restrictions are. If it is just selling for a percentage of the true value, you should be fine. If you are restricted to selling to people who live/work in the local area it may be a little trickier but in any event you should have options away from Halifax as they are relatively common - we do maybe a handful of them a year.

I used to live in Cheshire East, we moved to the outskirts of Stockport 2 years ago and the council tax jumped up...so did my car insurance. Nightmare!
    Last edited by ACG; 01-04-2019 at 4:52 PM.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Amy1987
    • By Amy1987 16th Apr 19, 9:37 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Amy1987
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:37 AM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:37 AM
    Hi

Thanks for your reply!

When our mortgage advisor was searching they advised that they could only find Halifax lend to the scheme.

Yes there are conditions to scheme - those first time buyers applying need to do so via Cheshire East and either be resident or work in the county.

You'd expect there be a handful of options at least, feel tied to a monopoly with Halifax!

Cheers

Amy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

39Posts Today

1,293Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin