Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 31st Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    • 3,241Posts
    • 35,779Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2
    • 31st Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2 31st Mar 19 at 8:31 AM
    Good morning all,

As we've decided that we'd like a new thread for each part of our 2019 challenge I've changed the thread title slightly. I haven't posted the links to previous challenges either - we're all capable of looking them up by title if we want them. If you do get stuck looking for them give me a shout and I'll find them for you. Please feel free to start posting your weight loss goals for the next challenge which will run from the 1st of April until the 30th of June (13 weeks).

You do not have to submit a loss or gain for the first week as it's our starting week, you can post your first loss or gain the week after. I for one will be starting new after this weekend (party Saturday and Mothering Sunday today, oh dear! ).

As usual everyone is welcome - we support and encourage, we don't judge.

Take care all of you

Here are some useful links to help your weight loss journey :-

MSE links
    OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
    Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links
    Free food/calorie tracking
    My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
    MyNetDiary
    The rest on google

Free printable food diary

NHS healthy eating website
    BMI calculator
    Weight loss 2019 challenge two = 2.5 lbs
    Grocery challenge April £250/£300
Page 9
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 16th Apr 19, 5:37 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 9,122 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    EVening Everyone,

I'm giving my feet a rest as I did more walking than usual today - and I usually do a lot! So far I've done 37,000 steps. After the usual cat feeding duties (DS is due back tomorrow evening so only one more day) and Pilates, my friends and I walked to the nearest town which is about 6 miles away by footpath. We then had lunch together and a long chat round the table and walked back again. It wasn't cold but not particuarly warm either but we had a lovely time and loads of chat.

Lunch: Scrambled egg with smoked salmon and a salad garnish
    Dinner: Sole in a lemon and pepper dusting with broccoli, mushrooms, carrots and a small piece of jacket potato with butter. Greek yoghurt with blueberries
    Treats: Maybe 4 squares of dark chocolate if I sit down and watch TV with DH. I hardly watch any television so I've decided that the chocolate he is looking after for me can be a TV treat.

Rose
    Weight Loss Challenge 6/4/19 10st 4
    Target 8st 12

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps for January 19,317
    Average daily steps for February 19, 449
    Average daily steps for March 20,330
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 17th Apr 19, 8:47 AM
    • 815 Posts
    • 4,685 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Weigh In
    Morning All

Just thought I'd pop on quickly and report in with my loss of -2lb fairly pleased with that as I have been off since last Thursday and have managed to stay mainly on track, I've also put my c25k on pause for a week or two whilst I'm off with the kids.

Off to the park today to make the most of the lovely weather and then tomorrow shopping in the city as dd wants to go to a record shop and the big book shop, will probably grab lunch out but will try to make wise choices

Today
    B porridge, dash of milk tsp of golden syrup and mixed berries
    L salad with tuna and quinoa, strawberries
    D spag carbonara made with light cheese

Hope the weather is lovely where you are, enjoy your day x
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 17th Apr 19, 2:54 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    K9zz
    Hi all,
    I know everyone’s opinion will differ but I’d like to know which the majority of us leans towards. Do you think weight loss is mostly about calorie control and therefore it doesn’t matter what you eat within reason or do you feel limiting carbs is more successful and/or healthier? Thanks. I look forward to reading your replies.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 17th Apr 19, 5:06 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 4,685 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Hi all,
    I know everyoneís opinion will differ but Iíd like to know which the majority of us leans towards. Do you think weight loss is mostly about calorie control and therefore it doesnít matter what you eat within reason or do you feel limiting carbs is more successful and/or healthier? Thanks. I look forward to reading your replies.
    Originally posted by K9zz
    I follow a slimming world plan but from home, I've been on it since beginning of last year, carbs are not limited with the exception of bread and cereal, also limited are high calorie food such dairy. I couldn't limit carbs as I'd be so hungry and I'm to lazy to count calories, so this works nicely for me. So far I've lost 3 1/2 stone, it's slow but steady. I think it's a balancing act though and not all plans work for all people, you have to find the one that fits you,
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 17th Apr 19, 5:28 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 9,122 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening Everyone

I love low carb. I'm never hungry and I still eat loads of vegetables and a small amount of fruit. Yesterday, for example, I went to Pilates and then walked 6 miles without having eaten since the night before - just a cup of lemon and ginger tea for breakfast. The idea is that once your body begins to get used to burning fat and not sugar you don't get the problems with blood sugar and hunger. I recommend anyone who is interested in low carb to look at the Diet Doctor website. It's got masses of free content and no adverts, though you can subscribe if you want to. I'm 60 years old and have never had so much energy!

Today I had to let DS's cleaner in at 8am and then go let some workmen in at work and wait till they finished. Once that was done I went for a run with my friend - we did 11 sets of walk one, run two minutes. This afternoon I played tennis for an hour and a half and then walked up to feed the cats again. DS is due home about 9 so I shall walk up again with his keys and to have a hug from DGD. I can't wait to see them again.

Lunch: Prawns in mayonnaise with avocado, kiwi fruit, tomato and cucumber.
    Dinner: Pork shoulder chop with swede, peas, courgette and a small piece of jacket potato

Rose
    Target 8st 12

• star trek fan
    • By star trek fan 17th Apr 19, 7:27 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 539 Thanks
    star trek fan
    Forgot to weigh in Monday as I'd change my day for this quarter. However, remembered this morning and I'm +1lb on.[COLOR="Black" Pleased with that as I've been eating rubbish due to
    a chest & ear infection and not feeling up to much. Didn't stop me eating however.[/COLOR]
    #77 Make 2019 in 2019 £164.04 / £2019
    Weight loss challenge#11 5 lb
    • GreenEcoGirl
    • By GreenEcoGirl 17th Apr 19, 8:40 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    GreenEcoGirl
    A very quick post from me whilst feeding my little boy. Disappointed to report a +2lb gain when I weighed myself on Monday morning. Not really sure why, as I've not done anything different, although we did have a meal out on Saturday night. It wasn't a feast and I didn't have dessert either. Guess it could be because I've not done as much walking these last few days...
    Must try harder...
    Trying to regain my pre-baby, pre-back surgery figure!
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 17th Apr 19, 9:14 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    Brambling
    -1/2lb Please Cranky. I would have liked more but it's in the right direction.

Hi all,
    I know everyone’s opinion will differ but I’d like to know which the majority of us leans towards. Do you think weight loss is mostly about calorie control and therefore it doesn’t matter what you eat within reason or do you feel limiting carbs is more successful and/or healthier? Thanks. I look forward to reading your replies.
    Like sirens I follow a SlimmingWorld plan which works for me, I'm also too lazy to count calories although if out I will check the calories on packs to give me some idea of what's in it and whether the taste is worth the calories. I find it doesn't suit me to cut out carbs although I try not to eat too much bread or wheat in general as it doesn't agree with me. I do eat a lot of fruit and veg and my more successful weight lost weeks often comes from eating vegetarian or fish and eating a lot less meat. But as said we're all different with different lifestyles so what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another and as you get older unfortunately it gets more difficult to lose
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 18th Apr 19, 8:37 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 5,279 Thanks
    Izadora
    Hi all,
    I know everyoneís opinion will differ but Iíd like to know which the majority of us leans towards. Do you think weight loss is mostly about calorie control and therefore it doesnít matter what you eat within reason or do you feel limiting carbs is more successful and/or healthier? Thanks. I look forward to reading your replies.
    I think everyone's different but I tend to find that what I eat doesn't make too much difference to how much I lose, as long as I'm within my calorie limit, but cutting out carbs makes me much more hungry and likely to snap and eat everything in sight.

I don't know why but I seem to have a complete block on managing the 20 min run of C25K, I tried again last night and ended up having to stop and walk at pretty much the same point. I'm annoyed with myself for stopping but I'll try again tomorrow and maybe run a different route so that I don't know when I'm coming up to the point where I've stopped previously.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 18th Apr 19, 9:19 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    katiepants
    Hi all,
    Weigh loss is all about maths. Calories in must < calories out. Whichever 'method' people chose (SW/low carb/Paleo etc. etc.), for it to be successful, the underlying theory must follow that maths.
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 18th Apr 19, 6:38 PM
    • 826 Posts
    • 9,122 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Evening All,

It's been glorious weather here today. I've just been out for an evening walk with my sister who is here for the Easter weekend and it's still really warm.

I played tennis this morning and had a walk delivering publicity leaflets for work. Then the walk this evening so have done around 21,000 steps so far.

I've been busy shopping ready for a family day together. My other sister is coming for the day with her DH and DS and there'll be my Mother and my DH. Unfortunately, DS and DDil are working and DGD will be at her Nannys for the day so we probably won't see much of them. However, DS did manage to come for brunch today. Because the weather forecast is so nice I have decided we shall have a barbecue for a change. I'm afraid the icecream I bought for dessert has proved too tempting though and has already been broached!! And I know my sister has brought an enormous box of Hotel Chocolat chocolates for tomorrow too.

Brunch: Bacon, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes
    Dinner: Smoked salmon, avocado, mixed leaves, tomato and cucumber.
    Treats: Bowl of vanilla icecream and a caramel and honeycomb Magnum (oh dear).

Rose
    Target 8st 12

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Apr 19, 9:16 PM
    • 8,368 Posts
    • 19,173 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Hi all,
    I am using calorie control and monitor using a nutracheck app on my phone. I tend to lean towards low fat and low sugar foods though as they are lower in calories. If I eat something high in calories I compensate by cutting back for the rest of the day/next couple of days. I don't limit carbs but have set my app to analyse my diet and aim for a balanced one so not leaning towards protein or carbs but a balance between the both. I am losing around 1lb a week on this plan.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 19th Apr 19, 7:27 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    K9zz
    WEIGH IN ALERT-(see I can remember to do things sometimes!) Iíve lost 1lb this week. Not much granted but at least itís off not on so Iím feeling quite chuffed with that! 13st 9.6lbs now. That is all! Thank you and good night. Have a great day everyone and donít overindulge in Hot X Buns!
    Luv K9zz
    Last edited by K9zz; 19-04-2019 at 7:31 AM.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 19th Apr 19, 8:58 AM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 35,779 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2019 Second Quarter

01/04/19 - 30/06/19

Imperial (lbs)

Brambling 2/10 -//
    chocolatebum 4/14 -//
    Cranky 4.5/9 -//STS
    dandy-candy 2/7 -//STS
    Doing it my way 0/13 -/-/
    dumpling 4/10 -/-/
    ellie99 2/10 /
    enthusiastic saver 2/14 //
    fit and freaky 2/18 -//
    Gingerlily 0.5/14 -//
    GreenEcoGirl +2/11 -/STS/
    hatful of hollow 0/11 -/-/
    Iheartichokeyou 0/10 -/-/
    Izadora +1/18 -//
    K9zz 2/12 -//
    katiepants 6/13 -//
    kazwookie 2/12 -//
    MovingForwards 8/20 //
    MrsLottie 1/7 //
    Munchin 0/10 -//
    Rose Wood 3/7 -//
    s_glover 0/16 -/STS/
    SIRENS 3.5/10 -//
    star trek fan 2/14 -//
    VickyV 1/16 -//

Metric (kg)

butterfly2507 0.2/9 -//

Weight Loss week 1 ..................8.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 2 ............... 35.0 lbs & +0.5kg
    Weight Loss week 3...................8.5 lbs & 0.7kg
    Weight loss 2019 challenge two = 2.5 lbs
    Grocery challenge April £250/£300
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 20th Apr 19, 12:19 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    K9zz
    Gosh, it’s quiet on here! Hopefully it’s because everyone is outside enjoying this wonderful weather! My eating was a bit naughty yesterday but it is Easter after all and I’ve resigned myself to it being naughty for the whole holiday and then I will knuckle down again next week.
    I’ve decided to start weighing daily again (providing I remember!) as that seems to help me focus a bit more and stop me becoming complacent.
    Scampi, chips and salad followed by mandarin sponge for dinner tonight and the other half of a fish pie I made yesterday for tomorrow night.
    Have a good weekend all,
    Luv K9zz x
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 20th Apr 19, 4:53 PM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 10,134 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Iíve been eating loads of carbs and chocolate and feeling groggy and awful with it, but Iím resigned to carrying on like this until the bank holiday weekend is over - crazy I know!

Mondayís weigh in will deffo be a gain but DH and I have agreed to start the diet and calorie counting again on Tuesday.

I hope everyone has a great weekend xx
    • Brambling
    • By Brambling 20th Apr 19, 5:45 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 4,466 Thanks
    Brambling
    I think it's probably easier for me as living alone I've brought no chocolate or hot cross buns into the house I did have a half bun on Thursday when someone brought some into the office.

I've been trying to be good this week and to avoid evening eating I went to bed early Thursday and had a long bath last night, there's no food upstairs.

I went walking with my sister today we managed nearly 10 miles but it was very hot 26 degrees when I drove back into town so after a day gardening yesterday I'm shattered and my thighs are suddenly objecting to doing too much gardening

B - I skipped breakfast today and although I took a banana I didn't fancy it.
    L - one slice of cheese on toast with a berry smoothie. We shared a portion between us.
    D - HM scotch egg with salad
    S - apple
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 20th Apr 19, 8:57 PM
    • 8,368 Posts
    • 19,173 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I have bought hot cross buns and Easter eggs for the rest of the family and dark chocolate for me. I am only having half a hot cross bun each day if I have enough calories in my daily allowance and 4 squares of dark chocolate.

Today was my DGD2s 1st birthday so we all went out for a meal. I went for a low calorie meal which was super delicious. Seared chicken with spinach, fine beans and sweet potatoes. Small piece of birthday cake in the afternoon.

I won't report until tomorrow but it looks like I have lost another pound this week so managing to stay on target.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLottie
    • By MrsLottie 21st Apr 19, 6:32 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    MrsLottie
    Not a good start to the Easter weekend for me , I’ve put on 1/2lb and not very happy with myself ! We have lots of chocolate in the house for Easter so big temptation too. We are away staying with relatives for a few days so not really on top of what I’m eating either. Think I’d better just resolve to start again when I’m home and just do my best .

Have a lovely Easter everybody !
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 21st Apr 19, 7:10 AM
    • 8,368 Posts
    • 19,173 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Weighing in for today Cranky at - 2 lb loss for week 3 I am not sure why I lost 2 lb over the week rather than 1 1b except for the fact we had a main meal lunchtime yesterday rather than in the evening as normal so am fully expecting to go back up again. I was also 200 calories under my allowance.

I have resisted Easter treats as far as possible. I had a tiny sliver of my DGD2 birthday cake yesterday and a small piece of Easter Egg my DGD1 offered me as I don't have one and she felt sorry for me in spite of me saying I didn't mind 😂. I did not like to refuse her kind gesture as she is only three and sharing is being encouraged with her at the moment.

I am now 12 stone 4 lb so 1 stone 6 lb to go according to my app. Not sure why they set 10 stone 12 lb as a target as I think that is only just top of my ideal weight for my height of 5 foot 4 inches.

On another note my son in law who is also trying to lose weight too informed me that airlines are considering weighing people before they board and charging extra for women over 11 stone and men over 13 stone. He read it somewhere yesterday. My DD1 thinks this is awful and fat shaming but DD2 points out the plane uses more fuel if the load is heavier and she is fed up with fatter people spilling over to her seat (she is only a size 10 in spite of having 2 kids in the last 4 years). We worked out 3 of us would be over the weight limit in spite of DD1 and myself only being size 14. My son in law is very tall but well over 13 stone. We said the seats are quite cramped anyway but neither DD1 nor I spill over into the next seat and son in law tall and broad rather than fat. Not sure how I feel about this but I can understand the plane having a maximum weight limit for safety reasons. Any views?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

977Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin