Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 31st Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    • 3,242Posts
    • 35,788Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2
    • 31st Mar 19, 8:31 AM
    Old Style Weight Loss 2019 Part 2 31st Mar 19 at 8:31 AM
    Good morning all,

As we've decided that we'd like a new thread for each part of our 2019 challenge I've changed the thread title slightly. I haven't posted the links to previous challenges either - we're all capable of looking them up by title if we want them. If you do get stuck looking for them give me a shout and I'll find them for you. Please feel free to start posting your weight loss goals for the next challenge which will run from the 1st of April until the 30th of June (13 weeks).

You do not have to submit a loss or gain for the first week as it's our starting week, you can post your first loss or gain the week after. I for one will be starting new after this weekend (party Saturday and Mothering Sunday today, oh dear! ).

As usual everyone is welcome - we support and encourage, we don't judge.

Take care all of you

Here are some useful links to help your weight loss journey :-

MSE links
    OldStyle Healthy recipes threads
    Menu Plans Collection

Outside Links
    Free food/calorie tracking
    My Fitness Pal (iphone and android apps as well as online)
    MyNetDiary
    The rest on google

Free printable food diary

NHS healthy eating website
    BMI calculator
    Weight loss 2019 challenge two = 2.5 lbs
    Grocery challenge April £250/£300
Page 8
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 15th Apr 19, 8:15 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 35,788 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Old Style Weight Loss Challenge 2019 Second Quarter

01/04/19 - 30/06/19

Imperial (lbs)

Brambling 1.5/10 -//
    chocolatebum 3/14 -//
    Cranky 4.5/9 -//STS
    dandy-candy 2/7 -//
    Doing it my way 0/13 -/-/
    dumpling 4/10 -/-/
    ellie99 2/10 /
    enthusiastic saver 2/14 //
    fit and freaky 2/18 -//
    Gingerlily 0.5/14 -//
    GreenEcoGirl 0/11 -/STS/
    hatful of hollow 0/11 -/-/
    Iheartichokeyou 0/10 -/-/
    Izadora 1/18 -//
    K9zz 2/12 -//
    katiepants 4.5/13 -//
    kazwookie 1/12 -//
    MovingForwards 8/20 //
    MrsLottie 1/7 //
    Munchin 0/10 -//
    Rose Wood 2/7 -//
    s_glover 0/16 -/STS/
    SIRENS 1.5/10 -//
    star trek fan 3/14 -//
    VickyV 1/16 -//

Metric (kg)

butterfly2507 0/9 -/

Weight Loss week 1 ..................8.0 lbs
    Weight Loss week 2 ............... 35.0 lbs & +0.5kg
    Weight Loss week 3...................5.5 lbs
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 16-04-2019 at 7:01 AM.
    • butterfly2507
    • By butterfly2507 15th Apr 19, 8:15 AM
    • 277 Posts
    • 2,326 Thanks
    butterfly2507
    Good Morning!

I'm happy to report a 0.7 KG LOSS this week I feel much better without my pills already and it's nice to see that on the scale too
    books read 2019: 26 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,9 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 15th Apr 19, 8:21 AM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 35,788 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all and well done losers

I had a fabulous weekend and thanks for your good wishes. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary really. We did gardening, a bit of house shopping, a couple of tip trips (because I can find the tip and don't mind driving, he has trouble finding it and hates driving there), and just sitting round watching films, chatting and enjoying the company. I also managed to sneak out for a coffee with my other friend who lives over there.

Meals weren't that healthy but I didn't snack in between, although I did drink a fair bit during the evenings but but it was spirits and diet mixers. Carting mattresses around and gardening must have helped though as I have a STS to report this morning. I'm happy with that though.

I'm feeling really relaxed and positive so a good start to the week. I hope you're all well and happy too.

Take care all of you
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 15th Apr 19, 8:40 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    s_glover
    Well done Dumpling and everyone else who has reported a loss, keep up the good work.

I didn't have a great day Friday and didn't go out for a walk at lunchtime either!
    Got off to a better start on Saturday with parkrun. Then had a busy day, did have a few small glasses of wine and crisps in the evening as a treat. yesterday was similarly busy, although not as active.

Evenings are definitely weakness here and it's not out of hunger, just habit most of the time.

Hoping to get out at lunchtime for a walk or run today, which might help the scales for weigh in tomorrow.
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 15th Apr 19, 8:44 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    katiepants
    Just popping in to report my Monday weekly weigh in. -1.5lbs, which is quite good because I slipped a bit a lot on thurs/fri.

I notice a lot of you struggle in the evenings, but for me it's in the afternoons at work. We eat tea at 8pm though so there isn't much evening for me to get hungry before I go to bed...
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 15th Apr 19, 9:14 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 5,280 Thanks
    Izadora
    Unfortunately this challenge doesn't seem to be going too well for me and I have to report a +2lb gain this week.

I know that I kind of deserve it but it's still annoying how hard I have to work to lose weight and how easily it goes back on. I had been under my calorie total for Monday to Friday (even with Thursday's alcohol) and was showing -2lb on Saturday morning. I had bottomless brunch with friends on Saturday and then pick and mix at the cinema and a rubbish dinner yesterday and I know that I was well over my calories but going up by 4lb in 2 days seems quite harsh.

Oh well, all I can do is draw a line under it and start fresh today.

Well done on all the losses this week and onwards and downwards for us all xx
    • katiepants
    • By katiepants 15th Apr 19, 11:11 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 939 Thanks
    katiepants
    Unfortunately this challenge doesn't seem to be going too well for me and I have to report a +2lb gain this week.

I know that I kind of deserve it but it's still annoying how hard I have to work to lose weight and how easily it goes back on. I had been under my calorie total for Monday to Friday (even with Thursday's alcohol) and was showing -2lb on Saturday morning. I had bottomless brunch with friends on Saturday and then pick and mix at the cinema and a rubbish dinner yesterday and I know that I was well over my calories but going up by 4lb in 2 days seems quite harsh.

Oh well, all I can do is draw a line under it and start fresh today.

Well done on all the losses this week and onwards and downwards for us all xx
    Originally posted by Izadora
    Don't be too disheartened. Sometimes when we have a couple of days eating more than usual or unhealthier than usual (more sugar/salt etc.), our bodies hang on to a lot more water as well. I bet if you have just one good day and re-weigh yourself you'd notice a difference, and that is probably your body getting rid of the excess water. In reality, to gain 4lbs of actual fat, you'd need to have overeaten by 14,000kcal, and that is very unlikely (unless maybe you ate the whole pic n mix display!)
    Sealed pot challenge 11: number 594
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 15th Apr 19, 11:43 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 5,280 Thanks
    Izadora
    In reality, to gain 4lbs of actual fat, you'd need to have overeaten by 14,000kcal, and that is very unlikely (unless maybe you ate the whole pic n mix display!)
    Originally posted by katiepants
    Thank you. Seeing I didn't need to take out a mortgage to pay for my sweets I think it's safe to say I hadn't eaten that much

I should've known that I'd end up eating rubbish this weekend, I was ridiculously tired and my husband's working away until Wednesday so there was pretty much no chance of me bothering to cook something sensible just for me.

I've got quite a bit to do this evening, including run 3 of week 5 (20 minutes without stopping ), so at least that should stop me mindlessly picking at food.
    • Rose Wood
    • By Rose Wood 15th Apr 19, 12:03 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 9,130 Thanks
    Rose Wood
    Afternoon Everyone,

Isadora, I was going to say exactly the same as Katie - so if you start eating well again it will drop off.

I've a 1lb loss to report for today. I was hoping it might drop another pound on the scales this morning but it was not to be!

I had to change my plans today. I was supposed to be meeting a friend for an early morning swim. However, the alarm at work went off at 1am this morning and as DS is on holiday still I had to go deal with it - along with poor DH who had a 6.15 start this morning! It took half an hour to sort but another 3 hours to get back to sleep!! Must have been the adrenaline. Anyway, I cancelled my swim and went back to sleep after DH had got up. I still had the cats to feed so I did that and then went and played tennis. Since then I've also done a run/walk with another friend.

I've got bridge this afternoon and then I'm at work at 5pm so I'm going to be flagging. Hopefully I can slope off a bit early tonight as recompense for the midnight visit! At least I prepared tonights meal yesterday so thats one less thing to think about.

All todays meals are leftovers in one form or another.

Lunch: I sauteed together leftover broccoli, sweet potato, pepper, red onion and garlic and turned it into a frittata served with Friday's broccoli stalk and apple coleslaw that I added a bit of carrot stick and onion to.
    Dinner: Cauliflower with a low carb cheese sauce on a bed of ham, mushroom and onion. Kiwi fruit
    Treats: Almost certainly a chocolate biscuit at friends when we break for tea!

DD has chosen a wedding venue. Unfortunately, with it being this September she was stuck for somewhere to fit her criteria so it's about a six and a half hour drive from here!! i was so hoping she'd find somewhere a bit easier to get to.

Better go and get dressed again. I've just had a quick bath after my tennis and run.

Rose
    Last edited by Rose Wood; 15-04-2019 at 12:06 PM.
    Weight Loss Challenge 6/4/19 10st 4
    Target 8st 12

Daily Steps Challenge 16,000
    Average daily steps for January 19,317
    Average daily steps for February 19, 449
    Average daily steps for March 20,330
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 15th Apr 19, 12:42 PM
    • 10,491 Posts
    • 127,661 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Afternoon

Sorry for being late, but been out walking 15867 stps so far for today, it all counts, and I am chuffed I am still going

-1lb for me this week

Thank you for all the posts that I read to keep me in line and motovaited.

Sun, Sea
    Slinky is back on! - 23 and counting
    I can do this, I will do this...
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 15th Apr 19, 12:47 PM
    • 8,372 Posts
    • 19,183 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Isadora I have had that happen to me when after a day of being off plan my weight shoots up by 2 or 3 lb but it settles down again when you start to eat healthy again.

Cranky I think my challenge record should be 2 lb lost overall. 1 lb in week 1 and 1lb in week 2. Glad you had a nice weekend. Heatwave coming over the Easter weekend apparently. My DGD2 celebrates her first birthday on Easter Saturday. We are looking after DGD1 and DGD2 today and it is back breaking walking DGD2 around with her holding our fingers as she just wants to be on her feet all the time. Lots of exercise though. We are all having a rest/nap for an hour then will chase DGD1 around the garden. Kids never run out of steam do they?
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 15th Apr 19, 12:50 PM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 10,140 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    A sts for me, better than a gain so I'm not too disappointed!
    • chocolatebum
    • By chocolatebum 15th Apr 19, 2:23 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 2,069 Thanks
    chocolatebum
    a 1lb loss for me today,

hoping that once easter is out of the way then i can start doing better, confession time: I AM A CREME EGG ADDICT. i cannot stop eating them, i have no willpower to walk past them in the supermarket. on the plus side after easter sunday i don't eat them as they don't seem to taste as nice

also in the middle of some essay writing for uni which means that i find myself up late and snacking badly. should all be finished for end of the month and hopefully that will cut down on the bad habits.
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 - £21,740.10
    31/01/2019 - £21,339.60 (1.84% PD)
    28/02/2019 - £21,398.62 (1.57% PD)
    31/03/2019 - £20,961.72 (3.58% PD)
    DFD OCT 2022

Declutter challenge 2019 in 2019: 29/2019
    PDBXmas19 #49 778.28/6740
    Old Style weight loss challenge 4/14lbs
    • MrsLottie
    • By MrsLottie 15th Apr 19, 6:19 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    MrsLottie
    This weekend was an emotionally draining one for me and it has left me feeling sad about something I can do nothing about. It hasn’t caused me to overeat instead . I don’t feel like eating, I know I need to sort myself out and will attempt a new start tomorrow .
    Cranky glad you enjoyed your weekend .I lost 1/2 lb on week 2 of the challenge, sorry I was unable to print in red .I am about to embark on the next half pound !
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 15th Apr 19, 8:28 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 4,685 Thanks
    SIRENS
    Sorry you've had such a tough weekend MrsLottie xx
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • s_glover
    • By s_glover 16th Apr 19, 8:19 AM
    • 483 Posts
    • 1,456 Thanks
    s_glover
    Reporting another STS this week.

Lots of ups and downs from last week but no surprise I haven't lost. had a pretty bad day food wise again yesterday.
    Once again today I'm putting that all behind me and starting fresh again.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 16th Apr 19, 8:35 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 5,280 Thanks
    Izadora
    MrsLottie, sorry you had such a bad weekend and I hope that this week's better for you.

I didn't manage the full 20 minutes for my C25K last night. I think I'd probably drunk too much throughout the day and felt really sloshy/queasy around the 12 minute mark so ended up walking for about 3 minutes of it. As a complete emetophobe I don't deal well with feeling queasy and couldn't risk making myself ill as there's no way I'd ever be able to run again if that happened. I'm trying to be positive and focus on the fact that it's still longer than I'd ever run in one stretch and there's no hurry to complete it so I'll just keep trying and I'll get there eventually.
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 16th Apr 19, 12:41 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    K9zz
    Hi All, I went awol again without even realising it! Just remembered today to check on here, I really am rubbish. I seem to have increased my weight again but confident itíll come off. Sorry I forgot to W.I. on Saturday, must try harder!!! Iíll W.I. this Saturday and go from there.
    Iíve been doing some research on weight loss and Fibromyalgia and consequently have gone back to my one meal a day style of eating. I was doing it before but gave it up when I read somewhere that itís not recommended for fibro sufferers, however, after much research it seems itís fine to continue it. Itís seems to be the only way I can lose anything, read yesterday that fibro causes the body to lower its metabolism, by up to 500 calories a day which explains why I donít lose even when Iím being very good. Feeling ok with it at the moment so Iíll see how it goes. Had a couple of unusually high activity days with dog training so currently feeling totally bushed!
    Anyway, good luck to everyone else on here!
    Luv K9zz
    P.S. thanks for the tips on cleaning Venetian blinds, problem now seems to be solved.
    • MrsLottie
    • By MrsLottie 16th Apr 19, 1:41 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    MrsLottie
    Izadora , no excercise is worth feeling sick for ! I admire you for managing 12 minutes and the walk - I hate running .Perhaps when I don’t wobble so much I might get like it .My new target is to be wobble reduction and run for five minutes .
    K9zz , one meal a day seems very harsh .Perhaps you could manage a couple of shakes or similar as well so you don’t become weak during the day .

Sirens and Izadora - thank you ,I don’t often feel down and I’m on the way back up now .
    • K9zz
    • By K9zz 16th Apr 19, 4:57 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    K9zz
    Donít worry, Mrs Lottie, itís an established form of intermittent fasting, no chance of feeling faint, doing this has improved my blood sugar levels beyond measure. But thanks for being sympathetic. x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,508Posts Today

7,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin