Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 29th Mar 19, 11:47 AM
    • 4,431Posts
    • 41,125Thanks
    dolly84
    NST April 2019 - Spring Forward
    • 29th Mar 19, 11:47 AM
    NST April 2019 - Spring Forward 29th Mar 19 at 11:47 AM
    NST April 2019: Spring Forward

A new month is upon us. Spring is really beginning to make itself known now, the sun has been shining quite a bit, the days are getting longer, the plants and trees are springing into life again. Hopefully we are feeling ready to leave winter behind and really kickstart ourselves, paddle those turtle legs forward and don't give up.

Simplicity - think about the simple pleasures in your life which you really appreciate, friendship, family, cake. Focus on those this month as much as you can (maybe not too much cake though).

Persevere - I know that trying to reach your goal can sometimes seem never ending but try to remember that each time you waste money/time it can take you further away from what you really want for the long term.

Reduce - I wouldn't be me if I wasn't asking you to reduce. Think about what you really need and what will be left at the end, is there a better way to consume.

Invest - in yourself, your family, your home - the things that really matter to you.

New - new month, new beginning. Don't look back at past mistakes and failures, there is nothing that can be done about them, learn from them and move on.

Grab - take life by the horns. Do something which takes you outside of your comfort zone at least once this month.

The non-negotiable rules.

We start at the start on 1st April and finish on 30th April

12 NSDs. for those with children as we have two weeks holiday this month and 15 for everyone else, more if you like. An NSD will not be spoiled by purchasing yellow sticker products only or medication, fuel or paying for regular activities (when planned in advance and the monies put aside in an envelope – eg children’s activities or random payments) and greent's usual milk excemption.

Pay to your debt/savings first and move forward from there.

Have a budget and stick to it.

NO spending in coffee shops, work canteens, vending machines. If you do it needs to be planned in advance and budgeted for.

Anyone up for this?
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
Page 12
    • greent
    • By greent 15th Apr 19, 4:15 PM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 81,312 Thanks
    greent
    Happy birthday to ds1,greent. Is it really just a year since he was preparing for exams, with no real idea of what to do afterwards?
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    I know, apple - time has flown! (and thank you for the bday wishes ) He's now revising (well, not today!) for his end-of-first-year-at-uni exams. He's still unsure as to what he's going to do post-degree, though - current options are grad medicine or research. Something along those lines, anyway
    x
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1603.41/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £70.17/£500
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 15th Apr 19, 10:46 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 28,987 Thanks
    sashanut
    no 13 checking in
    Hi all

Congratulations on the job apple!! And I think I might have a tea strainer some where about the place already....

Simplicity - think about the simple pleasures in your life which you really appreciate, friendship, family, cake. Focus on those this month as much as you can (maybe not too much cake though). Simple pleasure of a day at home, finally cut the back grass - but no the front as yet. Hate to say it but we could actually do with the rain. DH was like a man possessed moving carp out of all the sheds (& some in the garages) into one big shed...

Persevere - I know that trying to reach your goal can sometimes seem never ending but try to remember that each time you waste money/time it can take you further away from what you really want for the long term. No cash spent today and some progress on clearing kitchen in readiness for painting.

Reduce - I wouldn't be me if I wasn't asking you to reduce. Think about what you really need and what will be left at the end, is there a better way to consume. Must have taken this edict too far as when we were enjoying our poached eggs on toast for lunch, DH enquired 'How old is this bread?' Hah busted...quite old tbh.

Invest - in yourself, your family, your home - the things that really matter to you. Not invested in myself at all today but will do so when I get off this computer, in readiness for my shift in the CS tomorrow, prefer to get most things ready before bed as I'm not at my best in the mornings.

New - new month, new beginning. Don't look back at past mistakes and failures, there is nothing that can be done about them, learn from them and move on. Rarely look back - & when/if I do it's as if that stuff happened to someone else, which of course I was then. I'm always optimistic, a glass half full type person.

Grab - take life by the horns. Do something which takes you outside of your comfort zone at least once this month. Now making a new sweater that is definitely out of my comfort zone. Let's see how that goes.

NSDs: now 8/15

NO spending in coffee shops, work canteens, vending machines. If you do it needs to be planned in advance and budgeted for. Never go in coffee shops, no canteen, don't use vending machines either. But I still waste money! No spends today

Go turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 16th Apr 19, 7:01 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 20,891 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Still on #6 given that I had to get my weekly shopping yesterday. Today will spell the first of at least 3 days of NSD's. Mark. My. Words.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Apr 19, 7:54 AM
    • 4,431 Posts
    • 41,125 Thanks
    dolly84
    greent - happy birthday to your DS.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 16th Apr 19, 8:09 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 5,306 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Yesterday was a very spendy day! But all saved for, as was getting more paint/bits for the kitchen. Need some more cupboards paint, which they didn't have at out local B&Q so will have to drive further afar to find some.

Also brought a rotary washing line, and one of those ground screw things too.

Simplicity - made some cheese straws with leftover puff pastry. I haven't had some in years. Nice little treat.

Persevere - this week I am focusing on the kitchen. I want it to be done this week.

Reduce - Dinner last night was leftover chicken, made into a chicken and mushroom pie. Nothing thrown away,

Invest - my favour TV program returned last night. So, I invested in some me time to watch GOT.

New - looking forward this week, and looking forward to this week,

Grab - erm...

Will do another post today. I am going to try and get some more cabinet paint today, door handles for cabinet doors and OH birthday present today. That should get spends out the way until Friday (so, hopefully, I'll have 2 NSD Wednesday and Thursday.
    Grocery Budget: £106.14/£300.00 | NSD: 6/15 |
    Car Finance: £5,056 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £108,292.83 (2.79% APR) |
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 16th Apr 19, 2:15 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 30,736 Thanks
    mothernerd
    My arch supports arrived and I do feel a bit better. Some of mum's neighbours had bins outside so I checked the website and they were being collected early due to the holidays, so put mum's out.

Later I went down the yard to get the step ladder from the shed and started wiping the tops of mum's cupboards, just a few minutes at a time and then resting until the next advert break. Lots of 'decorative' items put on the clean cupboards. A little bit still to do - got diverted into trying to clean the light fitting.

Not much sleep but wide awake at 5 am. Think the vitamin D tablets are finally kicking in because for the first time in months I actually felt 'let's get up and at this day. Pills at 6 am, showered, hair washed, dressed and round to mum's cousin's house at 9 am. Updated on her husband's condition (just out of hospital after an op), discussed cemetery flowers before I went off to buy them.

One pink geranium, a bunch of still closed daffs, small bunch of artificial flowers (all times 4 for 4 graves) plus two bunches of roses and pinks for two grandparent's birthdays. All taken back to the cousin - she and mum's other female cousin will take them tomorrow.

Back to the house to collect stuff to bring to mum's - a pair of boots for her to wear in the garden (she's given me a pair that are too good to spoil), a couple of containers I borrowed a while ago (took stuff home in them) and a box full of block icing, piping tubes and odd bits. Mum was going to add a list of things to buy - told her we will use this lot up before we think of buying more. Pill delivery lady has been and I made arrangements for next week (mum's 4 monthly neurology appointment).

Food delivery arrived as mum was waiting to be collected - she's going to visit her partner, go to the infirmary and have the blood tests done there as the district nurse has not been and hopefully buy a fake flower arrangement for a joint birthday/ ruby wedding anniversary (the couple are going away so real flowers wouldn't work) which will get to the couple via 2 other relatives. Cards already written, I have a birthday card for mum's lodger to post.

Freezer stuff has been put away, the rest will be done in stages over the afternoon. Re-watching a Jesse Stone movie and minding the mad dog (I've shut the kitchen door so she can't get at the meat or any food - she's not fussy).

Today I am grateful for getting a lot of outstanding tasks dealt with, for feeling a little brighter and better, for finding a book at the library (mentioned in one I've just finished).
    Changing to a Life of Simplicity and Serenity with added rainbows
    NST Apr #8 SFD 12/15 Food 93/£160 Travel £11.60/20 Ent 10/12 Diy 0/£10 Ext overnight stay in cheap hotel?
    No Debt No mortgage
    • greent
    • By greent 16th Apr 19, 4:21 PM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 81,312 Thanks
    greent
    Thanks, dolly

NSD - now 6.

Simplicity - saw sister and gorgeous nephew today - was lovely seeing my brood playing with the smallest member of the family

Perseverance - Day spent with small child - house messier than it was at start of day! Nothing irreversible, though - all is good - can always catch up on housework another time - small people grow too fast!

Reduce - Took items from sister to take to CS, saving her a trip with small one - I've got to go there anyway And got 3 things from her CS pile which will be useful for my lot

Invest - not sure I've done this today...
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Apr 19, 5:13 PM
    • 4,431 Posts
    • 41,125 Thanks
    dolly84
    Have been out for the day with DH and the kids. We had lunch out using Meerkat meals, this is a rare treat for us and we all really enjoyed it. DH bought two clothing items in the charity shops totalling £8, one was brand new and is still on the companies website reduced from £79 to £39.50 so he is pleased. DS picked up his freebie Greggs snack pack and DD and myself got a Clarins mini each for recycling some old makeup. Kids took their Costa cups and got a drink each using the gift cards I got them for Christmas.

Returned an ebay item Friday which has now been refunded and have returned another item I ordered online as the fit is not quite right, it is from one of my preferred ethical retailers and I had high hopes but it is just too big for me. Some skincare I ordered for DD and myself arrived today - feel very spendy at the moment.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 16th Apr 19, 5:14 PM
    • 4,431 Posts
    • 41,125 Thanks
    dolly84
    Just remembered we returned one of our loft items for a refund of £60 as we didn't need it - happy about that.
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 16th Apr 19, 5:29 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Chocolatelover - do make sure they check for coeliac disease. It's where ingesting gluten means that your immune system attacks the lining of the gut and intestines, and therefore nutrient absorbsion ends up being minimal,and the 'bad bugs' have a field day. If it is this, then it can be sorted out purely by diet. Hope they do find out a cause, so that you can start to help him mend.
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    Thank you I'm thinking of getting it checked because I do seem to have a really sensitive stomach
    Read my diaryHere
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 16th Apr 19, 5:32 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 6,270 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Just a quick update from my phone. Had another NSD today and just stayed in with DS watching films so been a nice day.

C xd
    Read my diaryHere
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 16th Apr 19, 5:41 PM
    • 2,715 Posts
    • 27,344 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    greent - Wishing your DS a Happy Birthday.
    NSD's for yesterday and today - 9/15.
    Did 2 laps of my usual route round the park yesterday and today.
    Still using up things in the flat.
    Only managed to do a small bit round the flat today. Cannot find the motivation at the moment.
    Planning what needs to be done for the rest of the week.
    Checked my cash ISA and am happy with the amount of interested added to the account.
    Last edited by Kerry Woman; 16-04-2019 at 5:46 PM.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2019
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST April 2019 - Spring Forward NSD 12/15
    • JoJo77
    • By JoJo77 16th Apr 19, 7:52 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    JoJo77
    Very happy today as LO got into our 1st choice primary school. I was up late last night reading the appeals procedure as I’d convinced myself he wouldn’t get it. Slept really badly. Cried this morning when I got the email. Told LO that he was going to go to the same school as all his friends in the village this morning as he said “that’s good. I really like my toast this morning”
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 16th Apr 19, 8:06 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 5,306 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Another spendy day, but found some cabinet paint the right colour. It feels like I've made headway today, half top kitchen cabinets (inside) have had first coat. They shouldn't take as long, as they're much shallower cupboards. I now have two completed cabinet doors, two which have one side completed and second coat on fronts on others (all bottom cabinets). Top cabinet doors I haven't touched yet!

I'm exhausted now, really feeling it in my back. But it's obvious progress which has made me happy.

Not so good on the reduce front though. Found some bits lurking at back of cupboards which were at least a year out of date and I've thrown them away. It does mean I'll have a good clear out though. Used up some cupboard bits for dinner; half a pack of dried mushrooms and half a pack of risotto rice, so we had mushroom risotto for dinner.
    Grocery Budget: £106.14/£300.00 | NSD: 6/15 |
    Car Finance: £5,056 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £108,292.83 (2.79% APR) |
    • sashanut
    • By sashanut 16th Apr 19, 10:53 PM
    • 3,074 Posts
    • 28,987 Thanks
    sashanut
    no 13 checking in

Hi all

Simplicity - think about the simple pleasures in your life which you really appreciate, friendship, family, cake. Focus on those this month as much as you can (maybe not too much cake though). Looking forward to friend coming to visit tomorrow, she's not been for 3 weeks so a lot of catching up to do.

Persevere - I know that trying to reach your goal can sometimes seem never ending but try to remember that each time you waste money/time it can take you further away from what you really want for the long term. Did stint in CS today, that usually means I don't get out into the garden as I'm too tired. But did go out, cut the front grass & did a bit of pruning. Had to smile as DH was inside washing up...

Reduce - I wouldn't be me if I wasn't asking you to reduce. Think about what you really need and what will be left at the end, is there a better way to consume. Shopping done today, still need to visit home of the bargains for a few bits, and a tray of eggs from the FS but have nearly all the food for the Easter weekend. Not going mad to avoid wasting anything.

Invest - in yourself, your family, your home - the things that really matter to you. Did makeup & hair before going out, definite investment needed there today.

New - new month, new beginning. Don't look back at past mistakes and failures, there is nothing that can be done about them, learn from them and move on. Rarely look back - & when/if I do it's as if that stuff happened to someone else, which of course I was then. Looking back a fair bit lately but that's just family history.

Grab - take life by the horns. Do something which takes you outside of your comfort zone at least once this month. Now making a new sweater that is definitely out of my comfort zone. Let's see how that goes. So far so good, but only on the first sleeve.

NSDs: still 8/15

NO spending in coffee shops, work canteens, vending machines. If you do it needs to be planned in advance and budgeted for. Never go in coffee shops, no canteen, don't use vending machines either. But I still waste money! All planned spends on food today.

Go turtles!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 . Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th Apr 19, 7:19 AM
    • 2,484 Posts
    • 20,891 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Ok...we're moving again...number 7 yesterday.

No planned expenses today or tomorrow either. Mind you, I've probably just jinxed it.

Tonight is the night I start my meal replacement plan in which I will have a shake for dinner...and that's all. On the plus side, it controls my calories, fills me up and is very cheap to do. On the downside, it's a temporary solution (in advance of my holiday in 3 weeks). Wish me luck. I'll no doubt need it.

Congrats JoJo
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16

Follow my diary HERE
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 17th Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    • 4,431 Posts
    • 41,125 Thanks
    dolly84
    Very happy today as LO got into our 1st choice primary school. I was up late last night reading the appeals procedure as I’d convinced myself he wouldn’t get it. Slept really badly. Cried this morning when I got the email. Told LO that he was going to go to the same school as all his friends in the village this morning as he said “that’s good. I really like my toast this morning”
    Originally posted by JoJo77

Good news, it is all so stressful isn't it. You can have a breather for a few years now until you start with secondary schools and my that is so much worse.

Not sure what we are planning on doing today, the promised sunshine just doesn't seem to be materialising and is still so chilly. Will check in later.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 17th Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    • 2,185 Posts
    • 19,609 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Morning!
    Still doing the exam session school run
    Still doing the football sessions run - got an extra one today as LCFC are launching the new football kit, so want photos of kids wearing it, so 2 whole football sessions today! yay! outside!

I have hayfever. Woke up today with sore eyes, sore nose, sore throat, sore tongue. Taken meds, now everything just feels scratchy and swollen rather than sore. Being allergic to breathing sucks. Roll on November.

Yesterday was all set for being an NSD up to 4pm, when new trainers for DS4 were needed. £15 later, all happy, but I did recycle 2 pairs of the older kids football boots on Monday to DS3 and 4. How their boots could fit on Friday night practise, but not by Monday lunchtime is beyond me. Anyway, I had them in a box, labelled, on the shelves above the washing machine and it was totally painless shoe shopping from stores. Will c/s the size 1s when I take the bag of books.

The school run begins ....
    MFW START1/5/16 £118,340 Oct17£109,49 12/17 £108,801/18 £108,39 3/18 £108,50 4/18£108,10 5/18£106,99 6/18£105,99.7/18£105,308/18£103,99 9/18£102,99 10/18£101,999 11/18£101,300 12/18£100,700,1/19 £99,999.99 2/19 99,500 1/3 £98,999.991/4 £98,500 MFW 2019 #65
    Referal code- https://doblotto.com/r/1f87a3
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 17th Apr 19, 3:49 PM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 30,736 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Kerry Woman hope things start to get better soon, look after yourself and don't 'force' anything, just take a few days down time.

Internet has eaten my second post from yesterday. I put all mum's food shop away and redid the soupery - lots of tinned fruit and tomatoes left over, soup and beans restocked. It was hard, difficult, ranging from uncomfortable to painful (not at my best on the floor) but I did it.

Mum had a good visit with her partner, he had a little more colour but the room was very warm. The home are still taking excellent care of him, they have increased his pain meds but he's definitely on the way out (until a recent illness he was walking about the home all the time and enjoyed playing when the youngest great-grandchildren visited, now he just wants to stay in bed and not eating much). The staff had given him a teddy to cuddle.

Bloods have been done and we've notified Salford so they can chase them up but the flower shop they went to has closed down. Partner's grand-daughter was trying to order using her phone but I pulled better information up on my laptop and then phoned a florist we've used recently - despite it being nearly closing time I've ordered an arrangement (birdcage with small plants in) and it's being delivered tomorrow. Grand-daughter will put the cards through her aunt and uncle's door on her way home. I have the birthday card to post for mum's lodger.

I'm going to mum's on Thursday Probably cooking a chicken and cutting up salad stuff ready for the long weekend), cleaner will do Friday unless she is visiting her father. Mum has visitors on Saturday and I will probably go back on Saturday evening and stay over until after Tuesday's appointment.

Not surprisingly I have slept for most of the day - at least it dealt with the pain without using painkillers. Going to tick off as many small jobs as possible, preferably ones that don't involve much moving around and then plan and prepare (may cook leg of lamb).

Today I am grateful for rest, for all that I achieved yesterday (all urgent/ worrisome tasks done) and for feeling better - I spend a long time feeling as though I am clinging on by my fingertips and telling myself that i have been through worse things and survived and it's so wonderful when I turn a corner and am at least back on level ground rather than in a pit.
    Changing to a Life of Simplicity and Serenity with added rainbows
    NST Apr #8 SFD 12/15 Food 93/£160 Travel £11.60/20 Ent 10/12 Diy 0/£10 Ext overnight stay in cheap hotel?
    No Debt No mortgage
    • greent
    • By greent 17th Apr 19, 3:50 PM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 81,312 Thanks
    greent
    NSD - now 7. Day in with paperwork today - no spends

Simplicity - everyone doing 'homework' of some sort today (DS3 some work for 11+, DS2 actual homework, DS1 revision, DD dissertation, me accounts paperwork ahead of VAT return) Will play family game later with everyone - much deserved relaxation. Proper R&R planned for this long weekend

Perseverance - Managed to transfer some money to holiday fund

Reduce - Eaten from stores, inc leftovers. Recycled any packaging where poss. No waste except 2 packets which contained crisps and a broken button

Invest - am sure this work on accounts must be an investment of sorts - but it's hard going today!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

981Posts Today

5,265Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin