Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 28th Mar 19, 8:05 PM
    • 43Posts
    • 275Thanks
    Emzmom88
    Emzmom fresh start
    • 28th Mar 19, 8:05 PM
    Emzmom fresh start 28th Mar 19 at 8:05 PM
    After being on the dfw pages for a few months i think its about time i set up my own diary i think it will help keep my on the straight and narrow...

I am a mom to my dd and i not only want to help myself be better with money i want to help dd as i was brought up money is easy come easy go....this is not how i want to live i am fed up if being in debt and making silly choices with money and i would love my dd to think that way as she grows up too!! I also have my oh hes a good en and i love him dearly!! We are from the midlands and proud of it we would ideally like to buy a home in the next few years but my credit rating is shocking and got too my debt but i think if i carry on paying them off it will eventually improve my credit rating for the future

Debt wise i have just 6000 in loans and credit cards
    2000 over draft and my car is owing approx 9000 my last car was on its last legs and after 12 years of driving i never had a car under 10 years old and at the time it was my only way of getting a car.

The loans are my first focus,i gave stopped smoking and saving that money as an emergency or to make a big payment off.

So today i had the shopping delivered for the week i have forgotten the butter and carrots so i will grab those tomorrow,also got some bits out if wilko likea new potato peeler,rabbit food, some treats for the dog and sweets for dd 8.10 spent. Dd went to play with my friends son for an hour and we had a cuppa and catch up, dinner cooked house tided time to sit down with a cuppa and catch up on some tv

Tomorrow i am at work then mothers day thing at school (already paid for) spending the evening with my best mate were havin a takeaway and a catch up ehi5lst our partners go to the football so prob 10 spend at the most but for an evening of good company and a take away (i have only had 1 since xmas) i think its worth it. Tomorrow i plan on working out whats keft after my bills then paying more off 1 cc but i am debating whether to try and pay the little one off them focus on the big one or the other way around...i think if i pay the little one off first it will give me more incentive to carry on...we shall see

Wish me luck
Page 1
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Mar 19, 8:42 PM
    • 62,617 Posts
    • 270,966 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 28th Mar 19, 8:42 PM
    • 28th Mar 19, 8:42 PM
    Happy shiny new diary.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Puddleglum
    • By Puddleglum 28th Mar 19, 9:33 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 4,899 Thanks
    Puddleglum
    • 28th Mar 19, 9:33 PM
    • 28th Mar 19, 9:33 PM
    Hello Emzmom88.
    Have you had a look in on old style moneysaving forum yet? They have lots of recipes and thrifty tips to help you look after the pennies.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

April 2019 - pick myself up, dust myself down and give myself a stern talking to.
    Grocery spend 69.13/80
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 29th Mar 19, 11:37 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    • 29th Mar 19, 11:37 PM
    • 29th Mar 19, 11:37 PM
    Hello Puddleglum,

I have looked and will have a further look when i have chance, spent 12 on a takeaway and gave 1 to my nephew for sweets today and thats it!! Had works and mothers day thing at the school with snacks and drinks (already paid for) do moneywise a little over what i budgeted but thats because a treated my nephew to some chips too!! Did some driving this evening to save oh getting a taxi was a bit if a fuss but prob saved 30 in taxis for the sake of an evening just sat in doing nothing!!

Tomorrows plans are take neice home (last min sleepover at ours) oh has got his eye test tomorrow it is free along with a pair of glasses, it will involve going to a shopping centre so i will try my best to stay away from some shops i am running low on foundation so will see if anything is on offer.

We will have a look for a film for our movie night tomorrow from netflix and thats it so far!!

I am feeling really positive moving forward, another problem with me is my energy usage but i had a smart meter installed it has helped me keep an eye on my usage i am trying to spend less than 2 a day but saturdays goes out of the window because i do an extra load or two of washing.

Anyway im off to bed its too late for me
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 30th Mar 19, 9:55 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    • 30th Mar 19, 9:55 PM
    • 30th Mar 19, 9:55 PM
    Today i have moved all my weekly scrimpings into one account and managed to pay 185 from one cc (it clears the balance) and 126 to the bigger one,i am hoping that all being well i should be able to pay off another 400 by the start of May!! I have decided once the ccs are paid off i will call the bank and ask to reduce my overdraft by 50 a month so at least its going down then once everything else has been paid except my car i will pay off the rest of my overdraft

All food from cupboards except a cookie for dd as she was starving apparently whilst we popped out!!

Tomorrow we are out for a meal for mothers day (oh is paying) i am going to try and get some more washing and hopefully dry it outside on the airer as i need to get a washing line asap!!

Nkt6e for tomorrow: keep smart meter reading under 2 if possible

That is all for now
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 31st Mar 19, 8:10 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    • 31st Mar 19, 8:10 PM
    • 31st Mar 19, 8:10 PM
    Spendy day today,ordered a fence panel as one side blew down a few weeks ago and next door arent like our old neighbours and wont go halves with the cost also brought some more yoghurts and butter along with some sandals for dd as we went out for mothers day and she has no decent shoes as she has outgrown all of hers and some flowers for mil!!

Done 2 loads of washing so smart meter isnt looking the best but it will go down in the week when we are all back at work so will all even out hopefully!!

No debts paid off today but tomorrow i want to start looking at cancelling some insurance policies for appliance care as we dont have some of the items anymore and i can cancel at the end of April it will help save a few more pennies.

Nothing else to report,dinners all cooked for tomorrow for me and dd as oh is off work!! Hopefully tomorrow will be less spendy as this weekend hasnt been good and its getting me down how much i have spent this weekend....must be some kind of progress as a few months ago i would have spent plenty more got myself more debt and not even thought again about it!!
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 2nd Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    • 2nd Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 2nd Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    2 sucessful days, i had a nsd yesterday and today!!

My fridge is looking bare but i have got meals in the freezer, so i may just do a small top up this week of fridge bits and stuff for lunches and see how far i can stretch what i have out!! Nthing paid off debts but thats because i dont have much money this week, hopefully will pay something off friday when i paid!! Not gone to sw this week because i didnt want to waste the money when i havent tried that hard...even tho i will have to pay double next week i just couldnt face it!!

Looking at some sw friendly cheap meals for lunches at work because chicken salad just isnt cutting it anymore...seriously i couldnt eat the chicken today its like i have had enough!!

Anyway thats my moan,i am going to spend my evening looking at what mse ways i can do tomorrow,i have already turned all plugs not in use off and only just put the heating on!! I also gave myself a pamper by doing my nails im not that good but at the same time i dont charge 15 like the shops so i know which one i will be staying with!!
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 5th Apr 19, 3:03 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    • 5th Apr 19, 3:03 PM
    • 5th Apr 19, 3:03 PM
    After 2 kind of spendy days (spent 15 in l!dl wed and food shopping at 62 for the week yesterday...we didnt need meals so i topped up on crisps, cereal, tea bags etc so that im always topped up with something, my 15 spend went towards eggs for dds project at school and washing powder & conditioner along with micro rice for work and salad bits!!

Nsd day i did draw 10 out of the bank but thats just for anything over the week as i never seem to have change when i need it!!

Got 30 to pay off a debt this week,not a lot but better than nothing!! No plans as of yet for the weekend but hopefully will keep it cheap esp as oh is at work its just me and dd!!
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 7th Apr 19, 8:07 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    • 7th Apr 19, 8:07 PM
    • 7th Apr 19, 8:07 PM
    Spent 15.67 yest on extra cooking bits and creative things for another school project for dd...when will it end!! Me and dd did some baking of muffins and making things towards the project,popped down corner shop for popcorn for the movie night as its cheaper than anywhere else...2 big bags for 1 bargain!!

It was a lovely evening.

Today i havent spent any money of my own...oh treated me to a magazine whilst i was taking dd to her club and waiting....for nearly 4 hours!! thankfully it was prepaid and plenty of free tea

All meals from stores, big copled beef sunday dinner ate crisps and biscuits as snack after dinner and chilled all evening.

Successful relaxing afternoon/evening....i have realised i spend so much time running about that i am starting to appreciate and make time to just relax....

How is it Monday tomorrow....
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 9th Apr 19, 7:53 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    I have had 2 lsd!!yest was some bits,i paid but cost 5 87 so used almost all my change in my purse and 10 on a carrier for the rabbit...shes got to go in the vets next week and no way to carry her in without it!! today spent 3.17 but oh paid it was for milk bin liners and some conditioner (55p...bargain!!) Also 9.90 at sw!!will spend 3on school activities for dd for tomorrow and thats about it got plenty of food in so will decide on tea for tomorrow in the morning...i think it will be fish!!

Starting to stress about money...this is the time of the month when i cant put away as much as i would like due to bills!!so it gets me down a little!! Got all my easter eggs out today i only have 1 big one to buy for dd but will get oh to make that purchase as i have brought everyone elses!! Its impressive we havent eaten any yet....its not only impressive its unheard of in this house

Done 3 loads of washing so energy is a bit highter than i would like but it includes a load of coats!! Heating has only just gone on and had windows open today to "freshen" the house a little!!

Tomorrow i am working and then finishing dds project so thats my plans for then!!
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 12th Apr 19, 9:20 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    I wrote a big post yesterday and it didnt save and i just didnt have the energy to start again!!

Did food shopping myself instead of click and collect... long story but cost me 17 more than usual although tbf i have a lot in now and stocked up on loads of breakfast bits a d extras to see me through the first week if the holidays wity dd and oh they will eat me out of hosue and home!!

Had a nsd today which is nice!! I am seriously stressing about the lack of savings from the past couple of weeks (its not saving its to oay off debt but i save it up and make 1 big payment every month...it helps me focus!) Although my savings may not be there so far i know i am in a much better position than in January as i am up to date with all my bills....doesnt sound much but it spiralled really quickly to being behind with a few at least i am up to date and that worry has gone!!

Hoping for a nsd tomorrow too need to go shopping centre to get ohs new glassses but plan on staying home all the other time of the day...will clean in the morning change beds etc got some washing i want pegged out all day if its dry....need to get my money back on that new washing line get ohd glasses and make some muffins in the afternoon with dd we are doing chocolate and marshmallows in them...none for me i am being good on sw had a couple of biscuits today and thats all i am not going to keep spending 5 a week and not take it seriously!!

Maybe take some easter eggs to ohs family tomorrow if we get seriously bored or major cabin fever but probably not!!

Thats all for now...
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 13th Apr 19, 9:52 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    So today didnt quite go to plan.....

Did all my cleaning got 2 loads of washing done and dried on either the line or airer i had no heating on until 9pm as it had dropped cold, and a free movie night in the house so all os well and frugal there....

...oh got offered some free tickets to an event and took dd (there were onky 2 tickets and i wasnt fussedl) he took drinks and snacks with them and had a lovely free few hours out i went to our local shopping centre i spent a whole 2.30...got a new nail file, paracetamol and 10 cards for 1 from c@rd factory...always handy to have in!! Oh treated me to some trousers 5 in the sale for our holidays they are a bit snug but hopefully will have lost some weight before then!!

Got a free donut with a voucher i had come through so i have saved it for dd she will take it as a snack to her club tomorrow along with a drink from home!!

Tomorrow,maybe another load of washing i have half a load ready of whites and darks so hopefully we will make one up to a full load at the start of the year i would have done both and dried them in the dryer...i am defo becomming more frugal with the small things!! Will make the muffins we didnt make today, all food from stores.....beef dinner tomorrow i cant wait!! i love a proper sunday dinner!! It will be a lsd as need 1 for madams club i am hoping for no more!!

I think thats all for now!!
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 13th Apr 19, 11:30 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    What you have said in your last post is spot on its about small changes gradually or becoming more frugal wisely lol.

Couple of things for you too try/do

first one is do you have an soa??and an emergency fund??

Other thing i would say is if download the topcashback.co.uk app if you havent you can get money back on allsorts switching suppliers, just eat(take away you ordered for 12quid odd) its small amounts you get but build it up.
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 14th Apr 19, 7:41 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    Good morning

Thank you for your suggestions,i have done a SOA but didnt post it, i have read many looked at the advice and used it for myself,me and oh have gone through our bills and the sky is being cut along with the expensive internet...we will change to a cheaper supplier when the contracts are up within the next few months.

I have quidco for cash back and i try to remember but im not really spending online anymore but i do try to remember when i can!! I do need to start on an emergency fund at the moment i am just using what i have when something comes up and its not a good way to be as it starts spiralling out of control again!!

I am really focusing on the small things everyday its helping me be more careful having a smart meter install is also helping with the gas and electricity as i can actually see a figure of how much we are spending each day!! Also lists are something i make everytime i go shopping...i may add a few extra cheap bit but never just buy a random top coz i forgot what i was actually going to buy!!
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 14th Apr 19, 5:51 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    So today wasnt a lsd as planned...i took dd to club spent 1.60 but forgot fees were due to transferred 45 over scary only one payment due then in the clear until September!! and thats it visited inlaws for an hour came back had a lovely tea and just chilling watchin a film with family!!

So defo not purse friendly today...hopefully tomorrow will be better!!
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 15th Apr 19, 1:24 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Try an app on your phone called Qmee its a little market research app and you can do surveys on there some are only 5-20p but its a great way too gradually build your EF.

Shoppix is another good app, every time you go shopping dont bin the receipt, on the app you basically take a photo of the receipt eventually you build up points an it can be dropped into paypal.
    Last edited by Scott-Weiland; 15-04-2019 at 1:26 PM.
    • Emzmom88
    • By Emzmom88 15th Apr 19, 9:42 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    Emzmom88
    Thank you for those suggestions i will look into them tomorrow

Today hasnt been to bad spent 5 and thats it i can feel myself spiralling i need to get myself sorted again on the straight and narrow so i am focused i need to pay for sw tomorrow and petrol although oh is buying that so that will save me some money!!

Energy is quite low today considering i have had the washer on a long wash and the dryer on but didnt put the heating on until late

Tomorrow i am at work but also need to look for new house insurance companies as my renewal is due next month hopefully will go through quidco too get some cashback!!
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 15th Apr 19, 9:46 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,021 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    I know your using quidco but a word too the wise i did a test with quidco and top cashback 12-18months ago. I made 2-3 purchases on ebay/hmv and a just eat purchase on the same weekend with top cashback and i did the same with quidco on the same weekend. Quidco was slower paying out on all purchases.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,833Posts Today

7,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin