Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fred246
    • By fred246 27th Mar 19, 2:46 PM
    • 1,479Posts
    • 879Thanks
    fred246
    Cheap Third Party Cycling Cover
    • 27th Mar 19, 2:46 PM
    Cheap Third Party Cycling Cover 27th Mar 19 at 2:46 PM
    I have taken early retirement and I am living off savings and investments. As a keen cyclist I worry about bumping into someone and them making an inflated claim off me either from personal injury or vehicle damage. I don't want cover for my bicycle as I can easily afford a new one. I don't mind paying up to 1000 excess. Is third party cover included on some home insurance? What is the cheapest third party cover?
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 27th Mar 19, 3:10 PM
    • 14,346 Posts
    • 16,327 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 27th Mar 19, 3:10 PM
    • 27th Mar 19, 3:10 PM
    Check out Cycling UK's insurance offerings:

You also get other benefits of membership, e.g. 10% off at Halfords.

And yes, many home insurance policies offer third party liability cover. Check yours.
    • fred246
    • By fred246 27th Mar 19, 3:39 PM
    • 1,479 Posts
    • 879 Thanks
    fred246
    • 27th Mar 19, 3:39 PM
    • 27th Mar 19, 3:39 PM
    I don't think I have ever read third party cycling cover in a home insurance policy. Is it covered by the general term " your liability to the public"? I always took that to mean your liability but only in reference to the home.
    • hugheskevi
    • By hugheskevi 27th Mar 19, 6:44 PM
    • 2,197 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    hugheskevi
    • 27th Mar 19, 6:44 PM
    • 27th Mar 19, 6:44 PM
    I've found Cycleplan to be consistently good value for the type of insurance you describe, which is the same as I have wanted over the last several years.

https://www.cycleplan.co.uk/options
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 28th Mar 19, 9:26 AM
    • 7,197 Posts
    • 4,539 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 28th Mar 19, 9:26 AM
    • 28th Mar 19, 9:26 AM
    British Cycling is about 30 for the basic policy which includes 10m liability insurance
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 28th Mar 19, 6:33 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 1,484 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 28th Mar 19, 6:33 PM
    • 28th Mar 19, 6:33 PM
    I'm with British Cycling.

You should phone your home insurer and ask if you are covered for liability whilst cycling. Most of them do.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 31st Mar 19, 10:52 AM
    • 1,840 Posts
    • 1,433 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 31st Mar 19, 10:52 AM
    • 31st Mar 19, 10:52 AM
    Check out Cycling UK's insurance offerings:

You also get other benefits of membership, e.g. 10% off at Halfords.

And yes, many home insurance policies offer third party liability cover. Check yours.
    Originally posted by KeithP

^^^ This.

You also can get discounts at Cotswold Outdoors and several other retailers (eg Evans).

You can also get legal assistance in the event that you want to claim against a car driver (or even pedestrian!) etc.

EDIT: or you may need to claim against another cyclist!
    Last edited by Manxman in exile; 31-03-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Addition
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 31st Mar 19, 11:00 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 31st Mar 19, 11:00 PM
    • 31st Mar 19, 11:00 PM
    I don't think I have ever read third party cycling cover in a home insurance policy. Is it covered by the general term " your liability to the public"? I always took that to mean your liability but only in reference to the home.
    Originally posted by fred246
    "Home insurance" is a rather vague term which can refer to either buildings insurance,. contents insurance, or a combined policy which covers both buildings and contents.

Buildings insurance typically comes with occupier's liability insurance, which does indeed cover liabilities relating directly to the property (eg if you don't maintain your roof properly and a tile falls off and injures the postman).

Contents insurance typically comes with much broader personal liability cover which covers any liabilities arising out of your hobbies and everyday activities, with some defined exceptions. The most common exceptions are
    1 Liabilities related to the use of a.motor vehicle (for that you need car insurance)
    2 Liabilities relating to your work or business
    3 Contractual liabilities (no, you can't claim for your gas bill on your home insurance) and
    4.Liabilities relating to dangerous dogs

Cycling accidents don't fall under any of those exceptions, so if you have contents insurance, or buildings and contents insurance, you are most likely already covered for cycling accidents on a third party basis - no need for a separate policy. Check the terms of your policy to be certain.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 10th Apr 19, 6:15 PM
    • 3,219 Posts
    • 1,429 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 10th Apr 19, 6:15 PM
    • 10th Apr 19, 6:15 PM
    Ebikes are not covered. On several insurance policies I've had they are referred to as 'bicycles with mechanical assistance' and are excluded.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • Grandad99
    • By Grandad99 16th Apr 19, 9:17 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Grandad99
    Ebikes are not covered.
    They are covered by some insurers. The Personal Liability section of my Home Contents policy excludes motor vehicles but then says that
    the definition of motor vehicles does not include mechanically propelled vehicles that do not have to be licensed or pay road tax.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,870Posts Today

7,392Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin