Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lynnemcf
    • By lynnemcf 18th Apr 05, 9:59 AM
    • 1,214Posts
    • 994Thanks
    lynnemcf
    Muffins muffins muffins
    • 18th Apr 05, 9:59 AM
    Muffins muffins muffins 18th Apr 05 at 9:59 AM
    I have searched the internet but all the recipes I can find are American. Sweet and savoury recipes welcome.

Thanks
Page 3
    • mel123
    • By mel123 1st Apr 07, 6:15 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 332 Thanks
    mel123
    Thank you these were delicious, I might have the OS record of them being eaten in ten minutes. I grated some orange rind and squeezed the juice in mine.
    Who would like my last penny?
    • mumoftwo
    • By mumoftwo 1st Apr 07, 6:23 PM
    • 1,907 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    mumoftwo
    I do mine in the breadmaker, then cut into squares once cooked
    Originally posted by CCStar
    Is that on the cake setting? That sounds like a great idea... Please let us know how you do it!!
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 1st Apr 07, 6:53 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Sorry, I think this is probably a stupid question, but is a muffin tin different to a normal bun tin?

I guess perhaps a muffin tins "sections" are deeper? If so, maybe I could just make smaller versions, as all I have is one bun tin :confused:
    Originally posted by nic82

You do really need a muffin tin, which as you say are much deeper than bun tins. Muffins need a lot of room If you have paper muffin cases you might get away with using a bun tin as the case will help support the muffin.

I sometimes make a muffin cake in a tray bake tin and cut into squares, but you need to give it a bit longer in the oven.

I know people love their bread makers but really, what is the advantage of mixing muffins in a breadmaker ? One of the keys to successful muffins is not overmixing the ingredients or they won't rise properly. Surely a BM beats the hell out of them :confused: I'd find a mixing bowl quicker to wash up than the pan from a BM too.
  • vfairbrass
    [QUOTE=thriftlady;4771477]You do really need a muffin tin, which as you say are much deeper than bun tins. Muffins need a lot of room If you have paper muffin cases you might get away with using a bun tin as the case will help support the muffin.

QUOTE]

I've probably posted this before but I avoided buying a muffin tin by making my own moulds from strips of card (cereal boxes) and tin foil. Strip of card 1.5 inch by 9 inch, bend into a circle and staple, cover with tin foil. I made 18 of these to start with and they have lasted for ages. Just put however many I want onto a baking tray, pop the muffin case (I used Supercook muffin cases from Sainsburys) inside and fill with mixture. Works a treat.
    Valerie
  • janeawej
    mel123 glad you liked them i am going to try your idea!

Thanks vfairbrass that sounds a good idea i might try it as i only have one 6 muffin tin and with 6 of us that dosent go far!!
    • Tartan Mum
    • By Tartan Mum 4th Apr 07, 8:06 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 698 Thanks
    Tartan Mum
    I'm sure this is a v silly question but here goes....

I really want to try making these muffins. I have the muffin tin to go in the oven but don't have paper muffin cases. I assume I need both or do you put the mixture straight into the tin?

I told you it was a silly question...
  • debtworrier
    You do really need a muffin tin, which as you say are much deeper than bun tins. Muffins need a lot of room If you have paper muffin cases you might get away with using a bun tin as the case will help support the muffin.

I sometimes make a muffin cake in a tray bake tin and cut into squares, but you need to give it a bit longer in the oven.

I know people love their bread makers but really, what is the advantage of mixing muffins in a breadmaker ? One of the keys to successful muffins is not overmixing the ingredients or they won't rise properly. Surely a BM beats the hell out of them :confused: I'd find a mixing bowl quicker to wash up than the pan from a BM too.
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    In my case the advantage would be not having to use my lousy electric oven, which takes forever to heat up and costs a fortune to run!

I've actually been wondering if these muffins could be made in the microwave?
  • bigpaws23
    I'm sure this is a v silly question but here goes....

I really want to try making these muffins. I have the muffin tin to go in the oven but don't have paper muffin cases. I assume I need both or do you put the mixture straight into the tin?

I told you it was a silly question...
    Originally posted by Tartan Mum
    not a silly question at all. you don't need the cases if you grease the tins or have non stick ones
    Better for the environment and saves you money

Enjoy!
    Bigpaws x
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 4th Apr 07, 11:16 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    not a silly question at all. you don't need the cases if you grease the tins or have non stick ones
    Better for the environment and saves you money

Enjoy!
    Bigpaws x
    Originally posted by bigpaws23
    Also, if you don't use cases (I brush the cups with oil) you don't lose half your muffin when it sticks to the paper case
    • JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 31st May 07, 3:13 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    A Basic Muffin Recipe Please....
    hi all,

I really like the idea of making muffins to have for brekkie

I have looked on the recipe index but am a bit confused, some have baking powder and plain flour, didnt know if i could use SR flour instead? And it seems that lots have different ingredients depending on the overall 'flavour' or the muffin.

Has anyone a tried and tested failproof basic recipe that i can just change the main ingredient ie: banana, blueberry, raspberry etc?

thanks
    #82 12k in 2018 - 3473.45/12000 - 28.95%
    Retirement Fund 10850.02/250000 - 4.34%
    House Fund 2679.13/50000 - 5.36%
    Travel Fund 199.49/2500 - 7.98%
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 31st May 07, 3:27 PM
    • 6,863 Posts
    • 44,612 Thanks
    Pooky
    The one I use all the time and never fail with is.....

300gm s/r flour
    150gms sugar (preferably soft brown or caster)
    1 medium egg
    175mls milk (supposed to be buttermilk - I use semi skimmed)
    125 mls veg oil

That's the basic mix - to which I normall add around 200 gms of fruit.

Sieve the flour, add the sugar and fruit. Mix egg, milk and oil and add to flour/fruit/sugar, stir but don't get rid of too many lumps.

Bake 190/gas 5 for about 20-25 mins - cool on rack or they'll go soggy.

These freeze really well too.

HTH
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 31st May 07, 3:31 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi, JD! I make lots of muffins. I use SR flour and baking powder, as I like them to rise lots. My main tip would be to measure out dry ingredients, then add the wet at the last minute, and get them in the oven. That way the raising ingredients retain all their oooomph!

My basic recipe:

300g SR flour
    1Tbsp baking powder
    80 g sugar (any kind - depends on other ingredients)

2 large eggs
    220ml milk
    100g melted butter

Pour into 12 muffin cases and bake at gas 6 for 30 mins. Eat fresh or freeze - they don't keep nearly as well as other cakes.

Favourite flavours:
    2 bananas and 100g choc chips
    100g raspberries, 100g white choc chips
    200g blueberries, top with demerara
    2Tbsp instant decaf coffee, mixed with splash of boiling water, 200g rough chopped walnuts.

HTH, Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 31st May 07, 3:53 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    thats brilliant guys

i bought a muffin tray today and some cases so this weekend i will get cracking!

mmm raspberry and white choc penny.....sounds divine!

if all goes well i will be planning to have a muffin bake-a-thon on sundays and freeze for brekkies, lunchboxes and snacks during the week

if anyone else has muffin filling ideas please post....

oooh p.s. can i use frozen fruit or is it best to use fresh?
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 31st May 07, 4:03 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    No probs! I use frozen fruit, usually - don't bother to defrost, just shove it in.

You can also make savoury muffins (never done it myself, though) with cheese, for instance.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • savingsara
    Marmalade and (dried) apricot muffins are loverly!

280g SR flour
    2.5ml bicarb of soda
    2.5ml salt
    85g white sugar
    2.5ml finely grated orange rind (optional)
    90ml orange juice
    120ml orange marmalade, warmed slightly (distribute in batter more evenly)
    90-120ml milk or water
    110g chopped ready to eat apricots
    90ml vegetable oil or 85g butter, melted

Makes 11-12

190C-200C, Gas mark 5-6

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.

Mix together the apricots, and rind if using, with all the wet ingredients and stir well.

Pour all the liquid ingredients into the dry mixture. Stir til just combined. Batter should be lumpy but no dry flour should remain.

Spoon immediately into muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes.
    • JAMIEDODGER
    • By JAMIEDODGER 31st May 07, 5:08 PM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 18,694 Thanks
    JAMIEDODGER
    what a great recipe savingsara,

i have some ready to eat apricots that need using up as the children wont eat them

will def be trying these out!
  • mattogier
    A proper ENGLISH MUFFIN is FAR superior to the American "Cake" Muffin and, although takes longer to make is absolutely the best thing toasted with jam or even better, toasted, lumped with fresh butter and a soft poached egg - salt and pepper for breakfast or even with the addition of Asparagus (now in season) and a hollandaise sauce for a great supper!

For the muffin see...

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/505/Ultimate_English_Muffin48306.shtml

and a simple to make hollandaise...

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/hollandaise-sauce,769,RC.html

Cheers

Matt
    Last edited by mattogier; 31-05-2007 at 5:27 PM. Reason: Add info
    mattogier
    Total Debt Including Mortgage:
    July 2006 - 179k July 2007 - 159k October 2007 - 154k December 2007 -149k October 2008 - 126,525.40
    December 2008 : 120,040.38
    Target: Debt Free before the 2012 Olympics
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 31st May 07, 5:47 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,689 Thanks
    lil_me
    I used Thriftlady's as is on this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=147888&highlight=muffins+cherrie s

Lovely
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 31st May 07, 5:52 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Ooh, thanks Lil me, you've saved me the bother of writing it out again. But, as I say in the post it isn't my recipe
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 31st May 07, 5:55 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,689 Thanks
    lil_me
    I have it saved, know it isn't 'yours' as such but you posted it and now I make them and they last about 5 minutes if I make them and don't hide them
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

3,719Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin