Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Tea3
    Currys - Terrible Instore Service
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:05 PM
    Currys - Terrible Instore Service 15th Nov 07 at 2:05 PM
    Sorry for rant but I am angry (and out of pocket a fortune on phone calls to several 0870 numbers)!
    On 29th October I bought a 200 digital camera from local currys branch. A week later we had time to work out how to use it so charged it fully up but found that the battery only lasted about an hour before needing charged again - this happened a couple of times so we contacted Canon number in the manual. They gave us an incident number and said to return it to the store as it sounded like a battery or internal working problem so we should switch it over. I phoned Currys the following day to see if they had them in stock, they had 3 so my hubby popped in the following day to exchange the less than 2 weeks old camera thinking all shoulf be fine as Canon ok'd it and so did Currys over the phone - silly us!!

The shop assistant was rude and unhelpful and despite us having the receipt, all packaging, proof of fault, canon indicent number and that it was less than 2 weeks old bought from that store they refused to exchange it! My husband phoned me from mobile and I spoke to assistant stating sale of goods act etc but he said I had to phone another phone number to get an RMEI Returns Number AND that they might only repair the 2 week old camera! Very annoyed at this time I told my husband to stay in the shop and I phoned the number (Canon Service Centre and spoke to a lady who gave me another number to call the Canon Sales Rep. THis was an answermachine message which told me to phone another number then this other number was a machine saying to leave a message!! I went back to canon service centre and lady there explained the SHOP should be phoning about for a returns number and that we should get an exchange no problem and were within our rights to ask for refund instead of just exchange as we were doing.

Finally I had to phone the shop back after many further phone calls to currys and canon and told the salesman they all said we were entitled to exchange camera with no problem and that he could call them for confirmation - he still refused and I could not get passed him to manager as he always answered the phone! Had to then go back onto 0870 number (grrrr) at currys and get one of them to phone the branch and FINALLY after around an hour in the shop my husband was allowed to exchange the camera - he realised this as the sales assist went "there" and slammed camera box on table and walked away - another sales assist then took hubbys details etc and gave him the camera.

So beware - sale of goods act on canon confirmed faulty cameras does not apply to Dundee Currys branch is seems. If this much hassle after two weeks I pray it does not break down after 6 months or so!
    Some People Live & Learn, Some People Just Live...
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 15th Nov 07, 2:25 PM
    • 16,070 Posts
    • 22,098 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:25 PM
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:25 PM
    For future reference, the non 0870 number for Currys Dundee (Murrygate) is 01382 221126 (as found on www.saynoto0870.com)

Personally I hate buying things from Currys, as I find the staff rather clueless!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • stugib
    • By stugib 15th Nov 07, 2:34 PM
    • 2,431 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    stugib
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:34 PM
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:34 PM
    You missed the Sale of Goods Act part III section 5(xi) which states:

No part of this Act shall apply to DSG stores, including Currys and PC World, where company policy takes precedence.

Or maybe that's just in their version? If you take a look through here you'll see they're notorious for this attitude - glad you eventually got it sorted.

More encouragingly, Comet seem to have got their act together slightly. I've seen complaints about them on here drop over the last few months, and they're a now lot more open about what they'll do when you take faulty goods back.
  • Tea3
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:35 PM
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:35 PM
    LOL I learnt my lesson and will never buy there again - put in an official complaint about it (another 0870 number but probably set that way to put some people off complaining).

Got the local currys number but the customer service, some of the canon numbers and the comaplaints and returns department were all 0870 numbers - tried the noto0870 site (found out about it on mse so big cheers for that), but all the numbers listed were either fax numbers or not recognised

At least we got the camera back but we are scared to go back in branch incase the *cough* assistant wants us to do even more of his job and perhaps re-stock some shelves for him or serve customers.
  • Tea3
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:37 PM
    • 15th Nov 07, 2:37 PM
    You missed the Sale of Goods Act part III section 5(xi) which states:

No part of this Act shall apply to DSG stores, including Currys and PC World, where company policy takes precedence.
    Originally posted by stugib
    LMAO - stop it!!!
    I want to stay angry at them not laugh about it hehehe - gah now you've made me laugh my hubby will be confused as 10 mins ago there was steam coming out of ears lol
  • catsonic
    • 15th Nov 07, 5:10 PM
    • 15th Nov 07, 5:10 PM
    lol i love currys! they give things away!!!

Went in a few weeks ago looking to buy a new camera and a camcorder!

We found a camera on offer with a photo printer. Camera looked pretty good. but we wanted abit more info on it. After waiting 1/2 hour for someone to come and serve us this young teenager came over. We asked him a few question and well he had no idea so we gave up wanting extra info and said we'd have it.

So we paid for it and went over to wait for it to come. 10 mins later we were still stood there so he came over and said he go get it for us.

He came back with a little small box! We asked where the printer was and he said it didnt come with a printer, so we took him over to show him the huge sign that said camera and printer offer. So off he went to get the right package. He came back with a huge box and the small box and gave them to us. So of we went abit miffed that it took over an hour just to buy a camera which we still didnt know much about.

We got home and hubby opened up the camera. IT WAS PINK!! Hubby went barmy! Wanted to take it back there and then! I said lets have a look at the printer first, so we opened it up and inside was another box with another camera in it!!

So we have 2 cameras and a printer! After looking at everything i then took out the reciept.

On the receipt it said we should've got 10meg camera and printer combi with a certain barcode.

We got a totally different camera and the camera/printer combi was 8meg.

Looked at the prices of the cameras and the pink one was 200 pounds and the one in the box was 150pounds!
    • letsbehonest
    • By letsbehonest 16th Nov 07, 1:55 PM
    • 953 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    letsbehonest
    • 16th Nov 07, 1:55 PM
    • 16th Nov 07, 1:55 PM
    A Curry's story for the consumer.
    Appox 3 years ago whilst looking to buy a TV for my old mum. I went into Alders and saw a new SONY 28 inch ect,ect. for £399 an absolutely excellent price
    at the time. I decided to check out a large Curry's superstore in Rochester there it was the same TV but at £599, as the sales person homed in on me I asked if they did price match" of course sir but you'll find nobody is cheaper than us". after I rolled out my story about Alders, "you MUST be mistaken mate", and this condecending dingbat went away to make the phone call check with Alders, he never came back. Still undaunted and more than slightly miffed I waited until another sales person arrived, same story. to keep this short the salesman and his manager,had to comply and they reluctantly sold me the TV, I had to return for the stand two day's later, but it was an absolute JOY to watch their faces and hear the remarks about reduced weekly bonus because of this. When I returned to collect the tv stand I noticed that all these SONY tv's had been removed from the show room.
    what I should have suggested was that they give me £100 quid to go away and buy it at Alders but that was an after thought, strangely though they didn't ask me if I wanted the old extended warranty
    Last edited by letsbehonest; 16-11-2007 at 2:04 PM.
    "Imagination is more Important than knowledge"
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 16th Nov 07, 2:14 PM
    • 16,513 Posts
    • 12,633 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 16th Nov 07, 2:14 PM
    • 16th Nov 07, 2:14 PM
    I dont understand what benefit you got by buying it from Currys?
    • setmefree2
    • By setmefree2 2nd Dec 07, 10:10 AM
    • 8,833 Posts
    • 18,987 Thanks
    setmefree2
    • 2nd Dec 07, 10:10 AM
    • 2nd Dec 07, 10:10 AM
    Hi I hate Curry's and will never buy from them. For my 40th birthday Mr SMF bought me a stereo which didn't work. Should have just been question of returning and getting another but oh no made my life Very difficult (too boring to go into). Did get a new steroe - never, ever bought from them again. Consumer Revenge.
    • codger
    • By codger 2nd Dec 07, 5:45 PM
    • 1,608 Posts
    • 2,771 Thanks
    codger
    More encouragingly, Comet seem to have got their act together slightly. I've seen complaints about them on here drop over the last few months, and they're a now lot more open about what they'll do when you take faulty goods back.
    Originally posted by stugib
    In this consumer's fairly recent experience, Comet is superb. I won't re-post here, it's at:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=536994

Hopefully that'll reassure anyone at this time who may be wondering whether to Christmas shop at Comet or Vent Board favourite Currys.
    • chipmunk
    • By chipmunk 3rd Dec 07, 11:50 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    chipmunk
    I dont understand what benefit you got by buying it from Currys?
    Originally posted by hollydays

Getting one over on the "condecending dingbat" who insisted that he "MUST be mistaken" I expect One in the eye for Currys (and not before time by all accounts).
  • I_Hate_Currys
    I bought a PC 7 weeks ago from Currys for my sons 11th Birthday. This weekend Vista wouldn't boot. Phone "The tech guys" they said "download and run this disk test" so I did this from my other PC and it failed so they said "new hard drive mate" we'll send one out. Seeing as the recovery disc didn't work, I asked for the operating system - Wow might as well have asked to impregnate their mother. Tech guy says "We have specific instructions not to supply operating systems for ACER", he says "Ring acer", well I phoned ACER and they says "Currys don't buy a warranty from us talk to Currys". What a bunch of responsibility shirking b*****ds. Went into the store got no joy from a big fat hairy woman. Quote sale of goods, threaten to sue, they said sorry we can't help you, you should have made back up disks, well they won't format a new drive I says, "Sorry we can't help you" fat hairy woman says.
    Looks like a common vista problem not booting, got the recovery partition to boot using a Windows 2000 disk.
    I will never shop in Currys, PC world or Dixons again.
    • daveboy
    • By daveboy 13th Dec 08, 8:19 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    daveboy
    ...and that is why they will hopefully go to the wall.

I'm still looking forward to the day Woolworths dies.

When you either sell crap or treat customers badly you deserve to go out of business.
  • KAR486
    OMG Currys are a great big pile of poo
    1. 1st problem (which made me swear to never buy from them again) - I bought an Ipod because it said it came with free speakers, only it didn't arrive with any speakers. I called Currys to ask if they were on the way. Nope - apparently I didn't add them to my basket. Why should I have to add the freebie to the basket? I went back through all the pages to double check I hadn't missed it saying in big or small letters 'add to basket' nope. It took them 3 weeks to get a refund to me and I never did get my delivery cost back. I vowed I'd never shop there again....
    Only....

2. 2nd Problem : Lucky me by boyfriend bought me a laptop for Christmas....unfortunelty from Currys. Although I was obviously delighted, when he told me it was from Currys I was a little dubious. I was right to be, within 6 months the right mouse button had completely stopped working. Still under warrenty I sent it to be repaired. They had it 6 days and when it came back not only had they not fixed the initial problem they'd somehow corroded the keyboard and created software problems too.

It went back again, another 6 days - mouse and keyboard fixed - software problems still - despite my bf asking them to check it thoroughly before we made the effort to drive over there and pick it up.

We did take it back and this time stood there until we were given a full refund at which point they took the computer off me. No offer to back it up or anything to say 'we're sorry'.

I also contacted the online customer service via email. Apparently they are distressed to hear of my problems (not as much as I am) but there's naff all they can do apart from offer me a free repair which I'd already get under my warrenty.

My advice do not ever buy from Currys because as soon as things go wrong you're on your own! You know a shops has very bad customer service when they need signs at the customer service point telling them you're not allowed to harm the staff in anyway despite how rude they are to you.
  • Firefox1975
    Yeah

this is a definate example of the store assistant having a "little bit of knowledge" which as we all know is a bad thing!

Agreed, you were badly treated, but you appear to have come out in front, so well done!
  • cheapscate
    Currys are carp.
    Big signs everywhere saying they will price match local stores - when I asked them to price match Richer Sounds they refused, said they 'don't try and price match Richer Sounds'.
    I pointed out they shouldn't have price matching signs up but they couldn't of cared less. I went to local John Lewis who DID price match RS.
    (by the way I didn't buy from RS because they couldn't arrange convenient delivery for me and I didn't want to try and move a large flat screen TV myself)
    • Esqui
    • By Esqui 25th Aug 09, 10:05 PM
    • 3,298 Posts
    • 2,417 Thanks
    Esqui
    We do price match Richer Sounds. I can confirm that.

We don't do it on a national level, as RS aren't a huge chain, but if there's one locally....we do
    Squirrel!
    If I tell you who I work for, I'm not allowed to help you. If I don't say, then I can help you with questions and fixing products. Regardless, there's still no secret EU law.
    Now 20% cooler
  • cheapscate
    We do price match Richer Sounds. I can confirm that.

We don't do it on a national level, as RS aren't a huge chain, but if there's one locally....we do
    Originally posted by Esqui

Well then I suggest you contact the Milton Keynes branch and tell them.
    • Lyger
    • By Lyger 26th Aug 09, 2:18 PM
    • 114 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Lyger
    ...and that is why they will hopefully go to the wall.

I'm still looking forward to the day Woolworths dies.

When you either sell crap or treat customers badly you deserve to go out of business.
    Originally posted by daveboy
    Granted, I'm quoting a rather old post here. But still - I find this comment nicely ironic given that Woolies have now in fact bitten the dust!
    This is not an automated signature - I type this after every post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,450Posts Today

7,237Users online

Martin's Twitter