Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: How much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as discretionary income?

Practically nothing

12.15% • 26 votes

Less than 125

11.68% • 25 votes

125 to 249

12.62% • 27 votes

250 to 499

14.49% • 31 votes

500 to 749

8.88% • 19 votes

750 to 999

7.48% • 16 votes

1,000 to 1,249

7.01% • 15 votes

1,250 to 1,499

2.34% • 5 votes

1,500 to 1,749

4.67% • 10 votes

1,750 to 1,999

1.87% • 4 votes

2,000 or more

16.82% • 36 votes

You may not vote on this poll

214 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • JackeeBoy
    • By JackeeBoy 21st Mar 19, 7:15 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 39Thanks
    JackeeBoy
    How much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as discretionary income?
    • 21st Mar 19, 7:15 PM
    How much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as discretionary income? 21st Mar 19 at 7:15 PM
    Approximately how much do you PERSONALLY have available to spend each month as 'discretionary income', that is to say money left over after deducting taxes (including council tax) as well as expenditure on accommodation, utilities and food?

just curious....

After everything, there is probably 300 I can spend on what I want, including saving. If I was going to spend all that money at the beginning of the month, I would pretty much have to live of bread and water.
Page 2
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 26th Mar 19, 3:33 PM
    • 9,325 Posts
    • 9,790 Thanks
    pogofish
    I'm always suspicious when someone asks questions such as this because they're 'curious'.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Especially on an utterly unrelated board - maybe the OP could come back and explain their familial relationship with money..?
    • missg2210
    • By missg2210 26th Mar 19, 8:20 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    missg2210
    2000+ usually every 4 weeks
    • Mary Bing
    • By Mary Bing 27th Mar 19, 3:42 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mary Bing
    A bit weird question, as each one's situation varies a lot.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 4th Apr 19, 9:58 PM
    • 13,389 Posts
    • 10,732 Thanks
    unholyangel
    If I have 1 ..... and then meet Mr Right .... it'd change overnight to, possibly 1000.

If you are going to do such a thing as this, then you shouldn't arbitrarily pick your numbers - disposable income is "after housing costs", else it gets queered by people living luxuriously and bemoaning poverty.

Maybe "after work travel costs" would be relevant, but not food etc.

Two people might have 500/month at this point.

If one spends: 150 on heating/water and 200 on food they have 150 remaining.

If another spends 60 on heating/water and 100 on food they have 340 remaining.

Both have the same money, at 500 ... but the one with 150 remaining will be "moaning" that the other's so much better off....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I agree to an extent but I think that doesn't give an accurate picture either.

Someone living in london getting a higher wage than elsewhere but with a mortgage will reap the reward from that higher wage in later years despite the higher mortgage cost. It may be expenditure, but its increasing their assets. While someone renting is significantly worse off because most likely they'll be paying enough to pay someone elses mortgage on the property plus cover the costs & a profit for them.

Obviously the rent/buy divide will apply elsewhere but I included London because the real estate tends to be more profitable.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • paye
    • By paye 4th Apr 19, 10:18 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    paye
    2500 left over.

10-15 years ago, I didn't even have a tenner in my pocket.
    Save Save Save

SPC 593 paye
    • Domayne
    • By Domayne 11th Apr 19, 6:31 AM
    • 594 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    Domayne
    Some people are just nosy, even if situations are different, they like to know what others do...why do you think there are so many of these types of boards and what do you spend on clothes, what are you having for dinner. Why do you think reality television is so huge? It's not a strange question at all, you people who find it strange are actually the strange ones.
    Saved so far - 28,140.97
    ~Selfish is the name that the jealous give to the free~
    Save 12k in 2019 #18 4,739.43/12000
    • gingercordial
    • By gingercordial 12th Apr 19, 12:55 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 1,387 Thanks
    gingercordial
    It also depends on whether you consider savings to be discretionary spending.

They are not discretionary in my budget because a set figure to savings is put away before counting anything as "left over to spend". I also then give myself a set allowance for spending, and anything still left is also for savings. I don't just get to spend whatever is left over - obviously this is my choice but it's a mentality I have come round to over the last few years after a whole life of uncontrolled spending and it has done amazing things for my bank balance.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 15th Apr 19, 6:57 PM
    • 8,372 Posts
    • 19,183 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    We have always budgeted and at the moment 200 a month goes into DH and my personal accounts each. That is purely to spend on things like hairdressers, personal entertainment and hobbies and clothes. We have around 1800 disposable income though after paying essential bills and utilities and we allow 500 for food and fuel and 300 for joint entertainment so the remaining 600 is saved for house, holidays and car maintenance. Another pension kicks in next year so we will up our personal spends again then.
    Early retired in December 2017

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 17th Apr 19, 3:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Depends on the month.
    Technically I have savings I can spend at any time but don't want to.
    So from just my wage? I have an amount that goes into savings each month. My "extra" money that I can spend or save (generally end up spending for birthdays, beauty treatments, date nights etc) depends entirely on how much expenses I claim from work, that tends to be my spending money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,486Posts Today

7,243Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin