Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J B
    • By J B 17th Mar 19, 8:24 AM
    • 3,380Posts
    • 1,247Thanks
    J B
    Not billed for a service I use ;)
    • 17th Mar 19, 8:24 AM
    Not billed for a service I use ;) 17th Mar 19 at 8:24 AM
    Following on from all the 'my contract ended but they still charge me' posts, I have a different conundrum.

I have an 'Orange Value Promise - Virgin Equivalent' contract (to give it it's full name)
    Basically, it's pay as you go, but you pay a monthly bill after your use (no topping up required)
    It's my 'glovebox' phone and I have used it about twice in the last 2 years.
    Sadly the DD has expired and so I've not been charged and EE have 'upgraded' the on-line account system so that you can't use it any more.

I'm not overly worried about an outstanding £1 (?) bill ... do you think that Orange/EE are????
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Mar 19, 12:40 PM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 2,699 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 17th Mar 19, 12:40 PM
    • 17th Mar 19, 12:40 PM
    I have the same OVP SIM, also in an old phone in my car, unused. I should make a call or text with it to see if they bill me somehow...
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Mar 19, 4:13 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    d123
    • 17th Mar 19, 4:13 PM
    • 17th Mar 19, 4:13 PM
    I wouldn’t worry, EE are shutting those sims down shortly, I’ve had a letter saying if I want to retain the number to call an 0800 number as they’re terminating the OVP plan on 30 March iirc.
    ====
    • J B
    • By J B 17th Mar 19, 7:44 PM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    • 17th Mar 19, 7:44 PM
    • 17th Mar 19, 7:44 PM
    I wouldnít worry, EE are shutting those sims down shortly, Iíve had a letter saying if I want to retain the number to call an 0800 number as theyíre terminating the OVP plan on 30 March iirc.
    Originally posted by d123
    Was it a letter, or a text?

'Our Kid' has two of these which he actively uses and had texts on both telling him to phone an 0800 number
    Google doesn't have much info on this number, so we guessed that it was another hoax.

He has a monthly bill from Orange and no mention (as yet) of closing down the service ... why would they when they charge 55ppm?
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Mar 19, 8:21 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    d123
    • 17th Mar 19, 8:21 PM
    • 17th Mar 19, 8:21 PM
    Was it a letter, or a text?

'Our Kid' has two of these which he actively uses and had texts on both telling him to phone an 0800 number
    Google doesn't have much info on this number, so we guessed that it was another hoax.

He has a monthly bill from Orange and no mention (as yet) of closing down the service ... why would they when they charge 55ppm?
    Originally posted by J B
    Letter, Iíll see if I can dig it out and if I still have it Iíll upload a copy.

Itís closing because EE is closing down the whole Orange brand. Thereís some discussion about the letters at https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2323085/orange-plan-closures
    ====
    • d123
    • By d123 17th Mar 19, 8:31 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    d123
    • 17th Mar 19, 8:31 PM
    • 17th Mar 19, 8:31 PM
    This is the most recent letter.

====
    • J B
    • By J B 17th Mar 19, 9:33 PM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    • 17th Mar 19, 9:33 PM
    • 17th Mar 19, 9:33 PM
    Letter, I’ll see if I can dig it out and if I still have it I’ll upload a copy.

It’s closing because EE is closing down the whole Orange brand. There’s some discussion about the letters at https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2323085/orange-plan-closures

Hmmm, no letters here.
    (but, it's dated 13/3 so maybe this week sometime???)

I will ask 'our kid' tomorrow

• d123
    • By d123 17th Mar 19, 9:47 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    d123
    • 17th Mar 19, 9:47 PM
    • 17th Mar 19, 9:47 PM
    Hmmm, no letters here.
    (but, it's dated 13/3 so maybe this week sometime???)

Originally posted by J B
    Itís possible, though I did have a previous letter with more details about a month ago.

I didnít pay a huge amount of attention as I intend to just let the number go dead.

You could always ring the 0800 number on the letter and enquire (possibly they are doing them in batches).
    ====
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th Mar 19, 8:44 AM
    • 3,980 Posts
    • 2,269 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 18th Mar 19, 8:44 AM
    • 18th Mar 19, 8:44 AM
    Only just realised what this thread means for us as the wifes emergency phone is on an old Orange PAYG sim in a Nokia 3220.

I used the number on the letter above but that must be for contract sims as they transferred me over. On PAYG you should get a text within the next few months and they'll move you to the nearest equivalent EE deal. While there I got transferred to the phone unlocking service and they've had to send the request to Nokia given the age of the phone. Up to 10 days for it to get sorted and I'll have to sort out a PAC I suppose once it's done.

Time to find another supplier for her I guess.
    • J B
    • By J B 16th May 19, 8:18 PM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    Originally posted by J B

BUMP

Been to see 'our kid' again today(he has two 'regularly used' OVP/VM phones on one business account)

and he showed me this ...

Also, looking at this
    https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/price-plans/mobile/3g-price-plans#article-title-1

it seems that there is a "3G" tariff called 'pay as you consume' ...
    So, maybe OVP/VM is still working???

I also have an OVP/VM 'glovebox phone' which still works but I've had no communication from EE at all
    • d123
    • By d123 16th May 19, 9:45 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    d123
    BUMP

Been to see 'our kid' again today(he has two 'regularly used' OVP/VM phones on one business account)

Also, looking at this
    https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/price-plans/mobile/3g-price-plans#article-title-1

it seems that there is a "3G" tariff called 'pay as you consume' ...
    So, maybe OVP/VM is still working???

I also have an OVP/VM 'glovebox phone' which still works but I've had no communication from EE at all
    Originally posted by J B
    Calls at 55p per minute?

What good value that is
    ====
    • J B
    • By J B 17th May 19, 7:00 AM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    Calls at 55p per minute?

What good value that is

Indeed, but it's much more convenient than payg for a low user.

• eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th May 19, 8:49 AM
    • 4,518 Posts
    • 2,699 Thanks
    eDicky

Originally posted by J B
    I received the same letter about ten days ago for my Orange OVP Virgin service, glovebox spare, surprised to see that it would continue more or less the same.

But s week previously I had already taken my PAC and moved the rather memorable number to my Three Data Reward SIM, thinking I might lose it otherwise. Much more usable if needed for more than the free data.
    • J B
    • By J B 17th May 19, 10:17 AM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    Update!

I phoned 08009566000 and eventually spoke to Chris from Orange billing in Plymouth.
    After a while of chatting he suggested that he would write off my outstanding balance of £1.50
    I'm stuck in limbo in the meantime as a paper bill would cost me £3.50 and an on-line bill is no longer possible for Orange customers!
    He was going to pass me through to the migrations team till he remembered that they only offer 4g contracts, so he recommended that I wait for 'the letter' and hope that I will be offered the same deal as my brother (3G contract)

• d123
    • By d123 17th May 19, 10:44 AM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    d123
    Indeed, but it's much more convenient than payg for a low user.

Originally posted by J B
    How is it more convenient than adding £5 to a PAYG sim and paying 3p a minute?
    ====
    • J B
    • By J B 17th May 19, 12:04 PM
    • 3,380 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    J B
    How is it more convenient than adding £5 to a PAYG sim and paying 3p a minute?

a) you don't know my brother

b) a PAYG sim would have to be used to keep it active, whereas the OVP/VM contract does not require this, which is important to me in a 'glovebox' phone.
    • d123
    • By d123 17th May 19, 3:51 PM
    • 7,737 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    d123
    a) you don't know my brother

b) a PAYG sim would have to be used to keep it active, whereas the OVP/VM contract does not require this, which is important to me in a 'glovebox' phone.
    Originally posted by J B
    While itís true I donít know your brother I would think him foolish if he isnít checking the emergency phone at least once every 6 months to ensure it will be capable of working in an emergency .

It would be a problem to take the phone out the glovebox and find itís battery was flat or wouldnít turn on...
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,676Posts Today

6,901Users online

Martin's Twitter