Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 15th Mar 19, 1:34 PM
    • 173Posts
    • 242Thanks
    Mrs36
    Extra energy account closed - administrators chasing money 2 years later
    • 15th Mar 19, 1:34 PM
    Extra energy account closed - administrators chasing money 2 years later 15th Mar 19 at 1:34 PM
    Any help please?

I have had calls recently from extra energy (I missed them but after googling the number this seems to be their latest business tactic. Today I've had a text from them asking me to get in touch about an outstanding balance.

I moved out of this property in April 2017, provided final meter readings, paid the account in full and considered it closed. How can they now chase for money?

From reading other people's experiences it sounds like the calls are to request payment over the phone, with no proof of the debt owing provided. Ofgem not interested as they are in administration.

Any help or advice gratefully received.
Page 3
    • Mrs36
    • By Mrs36 4th Apr 19, 5:12 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 242 Thanks
    Mrs36
    I would follow the advice that has been given previously on this thread and contact the administrators, and ask for proof of the debt.
    • pawpurrs
    • By pawpurrs 5th Apr 19, 3:55 PM
    • 3,798 Posts
    • 5,370 Thanks
    pawpurrs
    Apparently itís only £50 I owe I believe the only reason could be the reason they consider this is they tried to charge £25 exit fee per fuel but didnít in the end as I was within timeframe and got a refund of £209 as I had overpaid my account the final letter is the only one that stated the amount, whenever I call I get through to South Africa and go can never find my account or any details give me strength!!!!
    Pawpurrs x
    • Purplesonicshoes
    • By Purplesonicshoes 6th Apr 19, 12:27 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Purplesonicshoes
    Final demand for payment received today for an account I've never had with the threat of Debt Collection and High Court Enforcement Officers, with an address on the back of: Extra Energy Supply Ltd, Unit 16, Coalfield Way, Ashby de la Zouch, Leicestershire, LE65 1JT if anyone would prefer an address to write to. I've also sent a letter denying the claim via track and trace to PWC and not received a reply. It disgusts me the threats they are making to people when not stating what the claim is for.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 6th Apr 19, 12:50 PM
    • 835 Posts
    • 4,438 Thanks
    tboo

Having spoken to ExE the period I am being chased for usage from is until the day before I owned and moved into the property. I have sent them proof of my dates and have been told verbally that I "should now be on their exclusion list". Despite multiple calls to them this week I am yet to receive written confirmation of this.

Originally posted by nLdn

This is exactly what the situation my daughter has been in since 2016.

She purchased the property in 2016 after the previous owner had passed away.
    For 2 years they pursued her for his debt - she emailed/telephoned them time after time, showing them the land registry date 4 times, she got letters threatening baliff action etc.

I then got involved at it was stressing her so much - they finally sent an email stating the debt wasn't owed after I threatened to complain to OFCOM.

She has since received a letter again asking for the money - luckily I told her to keep all correspondence, the administrators backed down when they saw this email and the land registry date again!!

ExE were so incompetent it was unbelievable but not suprising they went bust.
    Last edited by tboo; 06-04-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    ďYouíre only here for a short visit. Donít hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.Ē óWalter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• Nicole1971
    • By Nicole1971 6th Apr 19, 1:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Nicole1971
    Same situation as everyone else - I was with Extra Energy 5 years ago in 2014 for a year or so, before I switched to another supplier - Extra energy claim I moved properties, which we have not done for 20 years! We received demand letters having not even received a bill, and now a final payment letter threatening bailiffs. I am in email contact with them, and they say they will send a final bill to me now, so then I can go back to the bank to see if I can get statements from back when I left Extra energy. Annoyingly there is now no way I can log into their website to prove stuff, teaches me a lesson to still keep paper records even though everything is done online now. According to them I owe almost £500 but it has been 3-4 years since I have been with them! I am really hesitant to just pay the £500 with no proof that they are working off accurate records!
    • JamesBillinge
    • By JamesBillinge 6th Apr 19, 3:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JamesBillinge
    Stumbled across this thread whilst looking up ExtraEnergy as been receiving the letters and today finally got the “Final Demand” and finally a figure.

£46.46

Like many others, I haven’t the old statements, the emails didn’t have figures on them and the website is long gone to download them from. I’ve gone on the online banking and downloaded old bank statements.

Only reason we left ExtraEnergy was because we moved house and ExE didn’t have the facility/ability to move with us.

Looking at my statements. I was billed twice in the month after moving house. So I can only assume were for the previous months use and the final bill?

Oddly, the letters are addressed to my wife who wasn’t on the account at the time of using them and the account number on the letters doesn’t match the account number from their emails to me.

To be chasing for £46 3 years later. Seems a stretch. I only assume it’s a different account and not mine.

I have printed it all out, highlighted the relevant parts and look forward to whoever knocks on my door where I will offer them a cuppa tea and go through these emails and bank statements.

I acknowledge that they think there is a debt owed and need to prove it.

I do not see any reason to waste my time contacting them based on the comments in this thread. I’ve wasted enough doing what I’ve done so far.
    • onlyfoolsandparking
    • By onlyfoolsandparking 6th Apr 19, 3:49 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 1,057 Thanks
    onlyfoolsandparking
    I wouldn't waste my time contacting them if I were unlucky enough to have been a customer of Ee.

As I (and others) have said I would only spring into action if PWC are stupid enough to issue/file a claim with the County Court, then I would defend it with a well crafted defence and counterclaim. No need for people to keep dancing to their tune! just because PWC say you owe a debt, doesn't mean you do!
    The real meaning of life is the pursuit of happiness and avoidance of pain
    • Herbalus
    • By Herbalus 6th Apr 19, 7:37 PM
    • 2,302 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    Herbalus
    It’s worth checking if you have a prior email from them from around June last year. They sent me an email asking for payment and then followed up 2 days later with another saying it was a mistake and no money owed.

I’ve forwarded this email back to them and received a reply that they can see this email was sent so have taken my details out of their chaser system.
    • Nicole1971
    • By Nicole1971 10th Apr 19, 10:57 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Nicole1971
    Well, my update is that Exatrenergy emailed me back after I asked them for an itemised bill to say they can't provide one as the extraenergy systems are all down! They could only provide me with the final meter readings and said I was sent a final invoice on 7 January 2016.

So at least that was helpful, and I could look back online at my bank statements, which clearly showed that my final payment of £466 (the exact amount they say I owe!) left my account on 4 January 2016 to extraenergy.

So I have emailed them the bank statement clearly showing this payment - and we shall see.... I don't see that they have a leg to stand on without access to the extraenergy system that I still owe that money...

But their processes for collecting money are shoddy and must be causing some people countless stress!!
    • quemby
    • By quemby 12th Apr 19, 9:09 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quemby
    I received my 3rd letter on Wednesday with a deadline of today to pay it before court action blah, blah, blah. I called them for the third time and told them I was making an official complaint against the company, I did this after contacting the Ombudsman. They have 8 weeks to sort it out, then I hand the whole thing over to the Ombudsman. I noted a slight change, ' oh yes, I see your name is not on the account, maybe it was for a time when you weren't living at the address.' I haven't toled them I've been n touch with the ombudsman and I don't know what the outcome will be, I sent an email so it is in writing too.
    • bongo_boy
    • By bongo_boy 16th Apr 19, 1:14 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    bongo_boy
    So having received the first notice, second notice and FINAL notice, my issue has been resolved.

I called the number repeatedly during opening hours and listened to cold play many times before being simply cut off and never speaking to someone.

This left me incensed. I read an earlier post regarding the request for TR1 etc proving ownership status etc and sent recorded letters to the addressed posted on this forum as well as the address on the letter.

I copied email headers (not displaying the amounts) of a final bill from EE, plus a payment receipt to EE about 1hrs after the time of the bill.

I also included a copy of a solicitors letter from my sale of the house.

Skip a week or so forward, I was discussing it with my father and called them again to prove i was getting cut off, and someone answered. Hurrah!

Over the phone I was able to explain the situation, including dates of sale and billing period (a period after the sale of my house) and so my details were removed from the database.

When I say 'my ' details it was actually my partners details - yet she had never had an account/contract with EE - seemingly reflecting others here.

What the chap on the phone did say was they used electoral registers and a 'uk search' facility to gain registered occupants details - hence my partner was listed - and in this case incorrectly billed.

What frustrates me the most is the amount of stress this has caused us for which there is seemingly no recourse.

I.e., we can be threatened with debt collection, CCJs etc despite being innocent.
    It takes a heap of time and effort to 'prove' your innocent.
    They simply say sorry. End of.

This appears to me to be totally unjust....

Either way it's done now. So I hope this experience helps inform other's of what worked for us.
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 16th Apr 19, 2:27 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    rogcal
    bongo-boy, I'm pleased that you finally got it sorted out but your comments

Quote: "I.e., we can be threatened with debt collection, CCJs etc despite being innocent.
    It takes a heap of time and effort to 'prove' your innocent.
    They simply say sorry. End of.

This appears to me to be totally unjust...."

are what we have all had to contend with and I lay the blame entirely with PwC the insolvency administrators who have codes of practice to follow and have clearly not bothered one iota when it comes to the question of how they should approach the matter of collecting money owed to Extra Energy.

I wrote personally to Mike Denny the principal named administrator and also a director of PwC, pointing out that the manner in which the procedures being used to obtain monies owed, were threatening, intimidating and for some a very stressful experience. I heard not a thing from him.

Mr Denny, you are a poor excuse for a human being but cocooned in your ivory tower, why should you care. A case of "I'm all right Jack" if ever I saw one!
    • quemby
    • By quemby 24th Apr 19, 5:55 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quemby
    I think they use a scatter-gun approach. They send enough letters out and some will pay just to get rid of the problem, even if they don't owe it. In my own case, I managed to get details of the dates owed by email and I haven't heard from them since as they were doing further enquiries. I wasn't living n the house on the dates they gave and have the evidence to prove it. I'm hoping it's gone away, but I'm ready if it comes back.

Contact the ombudsman if anyone is still struggling.
    • Benight
    • By Benight 24th Apr 19, 12:59 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    Benight
    I think they use a scatter-gun approach. They send enough letters out and some will pay just to get rid of the problem, even if they don't owe it. In my own case, I managed to get details of the dates owed by email and I haven't heard from them since as they were doing further enquiries. I wasn't living n the house on the dates they gave and have the evidence to prove it. I'm hoping it's gone away, but I'm ready if it comes back.

Contact the ombudsman if anyone is still struggling.
    Originally posted by quemby
    The ombudsman will not assist you with any issue you have with Extra Energy, as Extra Energy do not exist any more so are not part of the ombudsman scheme - neither are their administrators.
    • rogcal
    • By rogcal 24th Apr 19, 1:29 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    rogcal
    There is always is:

http://https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/insolvency-practitioners-guidance-for-those-who-want-to-complain

PwC (Price Waterhouse Cooper) have really overstepped the mark with the way they have gone about putting the frighteners on Extra Energy debtors and alleged debtors.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

151Posts Today

1,291Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin