Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamOli94
    • By SamOli94 11th Mar 19, 10:57 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    SamOli94
    0 WOW
    Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult?
    • 11th Mar 19, 10:57 AM
    0 WOW
    Is it acceptable to order a kids meal as an adult? 11th Mar 19 at 10:57 AM
    Is it okay to order a kids meal at a restaurant if you're a fully-grown adult? Some restaurants don't let you, is there a reason behind this?
Page 1
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Mar 19, 11:16 AM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 6,408 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 11th Mar 19, 11:16 AM
    • 11th Mar 19, 11:16 AM
    Probably because the children are accompanied by at least one adult, who will pay the full whack.

That said, Mr S and I can't manage a full panini and salad etc each for lunch - so we order one and ask for two plates. Never been refused yet.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 12-03-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Mar 19, 3:26 PM
    • 7,802 Posts
    • 7,901 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 11th Mar 19, 3:26 PM
    • 11th Mar 19, 3:26 PM
    Is it okay to order a kids meal at a restaurant if you're a fully-grown adult? Some restaurants don't let you, is there a reason behind this?
    Originally posted by SamOli94
    It's a commercial decision by the restaurant.

They're essentially offering a cheaper deal for children, just like many attractions, buses, trains etc offer cheaper tickets for children than for adults.

(Providing a kid's meal will cost almost the same as providing an adult meal - the time spent cooking it, serving it etc. And a child will take up the same amount of restaurant seating space as an adult.

So the restaurant is essentially offering a special discount for children, and they may not want to offer the same discount to adults.)
    • tessiesmummy
    • By tessiesmummy 11th Mar 19, 3:50 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    tessiesmummy
    • 11th Mar 19, 3:50 PM
    • 11th Mar 19, 3:50 PM
    I've had fast food kids meals. There was 1 time my 10yo had an adult meal and I had the kids meal. I felt really embarrassed eating it though when the waitress came over I said she didn't like it so we swapped! I do get kids desserts though. They're exactly the same but cheaper.
    • whatkatysaved
    • By whatkatysaved 11th Mar 19, 4:07 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    whatkatysaved
    • 11th Mar 19, 4:07 PM
    • 11th Mar 19, 4:07 PM
    I've been known to eat a Happy Meal as a grown adult! However as others have said, it's usually that the cost of a child's meal is set at a concessionary rate in some restaurants and is therefore not extended to adults as a general rule.
    • Peter999
    • By Peter999 11th Mar 19, 4:16 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    Peter999
    • 11th Mar 19, 4:16 PM
    • 11th Mar 19, 4:16 PM
    Ricky Gervais covers this in after life. It's quite funny.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Mar 19, 8:33 PM
    • 9,353 Posts
    • 9,837 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 11th Mar 19, 8:33 PM
    • 11th Mar 19, 8:33 PM
    IME, many places will do a smaller portion at a smaller price if you ask.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th Mar 19, 11:17 AM
    • 4,166 Posts
    • 6,408 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 12th Mar 19, 11:17 AM
    • 12th Mar 19, 11:17 AM
    IME, many places will do a smaller portion at a smaller price if you ask.
    Originally posted by pogofish

Or have a starter instead. Some starters are so big, I'd never be able to eat one and a main meal.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Mar 19, 12:28 PM
    • 11,954 Posts
    • 32,048 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 12th Mar 19, 12:28 PM
    • 12th Mar 19, 12:28 PM
    A lot of places around here offer pensioners portions, half portions or box the rest of your meal up to take home

I often order pensioner meals even though Im somewhere off it yet as I don't want a huge meal and I hate food waste
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Mar 19, 1:38 PM
    • 9,454 Posts
    • 11,360 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Only if you sit on the little kiddies' chairs.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 13th Mar 19, 2:30 PM
    • 2,319 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    shortcrust
    My mate does this all the time in all sorts of places and I don't think anywhere has said no when I've been there.
    • deanos
    • By deanos 13th Mar 19, 4:29 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 5,588 Thanks
    deanos
    I often order children's puddings, only in chain restaurants tho , never been refused yet.
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 14th Mar 19, 5:53 AM
    • 911 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    I do this all the time. haven't had a problem yet.

You can but ask!
    • Annie35
    • By Annie35 15th Mar 19, 9:08 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Annie35
    Ricky Gervais covers this in after life. It's quite funny.
    Originally posted by Peter999

I was going to say that Peter! it was funny.

I kinda agree with him, as is it really a concession, really?? as it's a smaller portion (usually) happy meal have mini chips & less nugs then a regular portion... kids plates at places are side plates (portion control )... stonehouse pizza have a 'kid's pizza on a small plate + a 'skinny'pizza on the main menu (30% smaller = kids plate!) SAME PRICE... see they know
    • adindas
    • By adindas 16th Mar 19, 7:53 AM
    • 3,790 Posts
    • 2,363 Thanks
    adindas
    Originally posted by SamOli94
    Well, this is tricky question.

But this is worth trying, when ordering meal
    - You dress like a kid,
    - You suck pacifier while ordering a meal
    - Thereafter you sit in the kid zone on the kid chair and play with the kids

Please inform the forum the success rate. If the success rate is high it might help other people on MSE to save money.

But you must be already aware. Most kids will bite your hand if you try to steal their meals.

Last edited by adindas; 16-03-2019 at 7:56 AM.
    • taurustime
    • By taurustime 16th Mar 19, 5:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    taurustime
    A little of something ........!
    My late mum never had a great appetite in her later years so we always asked for a children's portion - not the children's menu! - when we ate out. She'd order what she wanted from the main menu but served on a side plate as a full-size dinner plate put her off. We'd never been refused. I think most tuned-in restaurants would rather have a little of something in the way of payment rather than a lot of nothing in the way of potentially lost future custom. I have tea in one of the major coffee franchises every Friday. I don't like any of their tea bags so I bring my own from home. It's hit and miss whether they charge me for a pot of hot water, even although I always offer to pay as they still have to heat the water, provide me with crockery and seating, heat and light and clear up and wash up after me. All that's missing is the tea bag! Again, I've never been refused a pot, in most cases, for free.
    Last edited by taurustime; 16-03-2019 at 5:38 PM.
    • jo132000
    • By jo132000 17th Mar 19, 7:01 AM
    • 703 Posts
    • 1,279 Thanks
    jo132000
    I have done this many times, as I got towards the end of my pregnancy I couldn't eat a lot without feeling awfully sick or having terrible heartburn so if we went somewhere I often ordered the kids porition and no-one seemed to have a problem with it.
    Also I did it recently when on day trip with my little boy, the adult portion would have been far too big for me and would have ended up being wasted but the kids portion was just enough!

Don't see the problem personally as not everyone has huge appetites.
    Wins for 2019: Usborne books, football tickets, Shaken Udder milkshakes,designer swimming shorts, 5 & 100.
    Thanks to all who post the comps & please let the comping fairy sprinkle dust on my entries!
    • alandm
    • By alandm 17th Mar 19, 2:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    alandm
    I am not a big eater and will nearly always go for the kids meal (unless it specifically states that these are for children only).
    • pink_pirlie
    • By pink_pirlie 18th Mar 19, 12:48 PM
    • 212 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    pink_pirlie
    Funnily enough, I had a kids meal in Spoons last week. There was actually very little difference from the adult version of the same meal and the kids version came with a drink and a snack which the adult version didn't. Will be doing it every time from now on.
    • snickersbars
    • By snickersbars 18th Mar 19, 1:38 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    snickersbars
    I often have the kids' meals, unless they state 'for under 12s only' or similar. Their portion sizes often suit me better, and sometimes are still too large - especially kids' packed lunch options!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

6,051Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin