Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 5th Mar 19, 11:49 AM
    • 2,355Posts
    • 3,198Thanks
    FreeBear
    Potential lodger ?
    • 5th Mar 19, 11:49 AM
    Potential lodger ? 5th Mar 19 at 11:49 AM
    Autumn of 2017, I had an 18yo girl staying with me - Three months pregnant, boyfriend floating in and out. In the two months she stayed here, the BF did quite a bit of damage to the room, and she was very emotionally unstable. Ended up with her having a "meltdown", rehomed in a women's refuge, leaving me to repair the damage.

The baby was born some four months later and social services placed her in to a supported living hostel. The baby was subsequently taken away and placed in care.

Over the weekend, I had a string of emails from this young girl asking if "her old room" was vacant and could she move back. Imploring me to provide a safe and stable environment for both herself and a new BF with the long term aim of getting the baby back.....

I haven't given her an answer yet.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Page 2
    • Honeylife
    • By Honeylife 16th Mar 19, 8:48 AM
    • 136 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Honeylife
    Absolutely not!

1. disaster last time
    2. Room way too small
    3. could cause a serious issue with other lodgers
    4, Your own mental health

NO. NO. NO.
    Last edited by Honeylife; 16-03-2019 at 9:52 AM.
    "... during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no." the Pawnbroker 1964
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th Mar 19, 8:53 AM
    • 18,805 Posts
    • 47,684 Thanks
    elsien
    Aside from the fact that you don't really have a suitable room to offer,

She's in a supported living place for a reason. Because she has been assessed to need the support. Are you qualified, willing and able to offer that for however long it might take. She's casting around in desperation for options. Desperate choices tend not to be good ones. Social services are unlikely to count a tiny room in someone else's house with a possible boyfriend in tow as a stable settled option to bring a baby to.
    Last edited by elsien; 16-03-2019 at 8:56 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,833Posts Today

7,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin