Doing it for myself....

Comments

• Dreambig_2
    Dreambig_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Thank you Inneedofdirection and Esmeweatherwax. I am so determined now of clearing these debts as soon as. had to go into town there not something I do now.....too much temptation with the shops sent £2.50 on a return train trip instead of paying parking, parking would be a fiver or more but still grudged paying it. Had a meeting was a little early so I decided to use part of my weekend budget and get a coffee.....I know my bad but paying cash out my weekend budget didn't feel as bad and I opted for a greggs takeaway latte instead of a N3ro or St4rbucks. At £1.60 I shouldn't feel too bad but haven't had one in ages been using instant coffee in my travel mug to go to work to save me buying one there.

Claiming back 2.50 from Checkout smart, and will submit receipts over the weekend to receipt hog.

I'm getting used to this only paying cash melarky, cant believe I never done it before though, I would swipe her there and everywhere and don't get me started on contactless it was way too convenient for me and I ended up with a bank charge or two as I forgotten I used it on a few occasions. So cash only for me for the moment which seems to be working.

I lifted out this morning
    - weekend money - 20 - 15 for me (my coffee and train came) and £5 for DD if she completes her chores
    -Petrol money for the week 20 ( but may rethink this I get far more at A5da pay at pump than my nearest 3sso)
    -DS birthday money - 50
    -Food - 50
    -15 lunches for all of us for lunches and snack for school and work for 3 of us, I am pushing it with that but heres hoping

And the rest left in bank for utilities, there should be 20 extra left by next Friday in there if I manage to keep to budget
    Mortgage April 2023/101000Very April 2023 / 1890More to come
  • Dreambig_2
    First Anniversary
    edited 9 March 2019 at 11:05AM
    So I updated my signatures and will start doing this at the start of the months for motivation, some figures are the same showing not paid anything but that's due to my some DD being paid from the 14th so not paid yet and the outstanding amounts from the biggies are from March not Jan, But will be easier then its done on the 1st.
    Frustratingly Ive only just started this change recently and paid nearly 700 from January but its hitting home its just the tip of the iceberg, I was preliminary giving myself a pat on the back from starting this journey but in reality I should have been giving myself a kick up the backside for getting into this mess. Hindsight is fab thing eh, but I have to stay focused.
    I carry my notepad everywhere now DD laughs at me, I'm writing down everything, taking wee tips from all of you and writing down my spends.
    I am so eager for the 15th to roll around so I can see N Power drop off. I am also very aware I need to make some savings or an emergency pot so this is also on the radar.
    I need to declutter my wardrobe my life make it as easy for me and my brood as possible. I have wardrobes of clothes I no longer need/require Nights out are no longer justified unless absolutely ness. I have not bought a thing for myself in months and it will be like that for some time. I used to spend a lot on make up but have been working through any cosmetics I already have and making do what Ive got.
    My ebay/depop at the moment completely unsuccessful will retry with positive thoughts.
    I can honestly say hand on heart this was not me this time last year, I now feel more responsible, enpowered and actually cringe of how much money ive wasted.
    I could have been sitting pretty comfortably debt free with a nice little nest egg, but instead I'm scanning the whoopsie aisles (mark down ticket items at supermarkets) looking how to stretch my budget further to feed my brood.
    Ive planted the seed to friends that I'm saving up, therefore playdates at costly places then lunches etc and events are not on my agenda at the moment but cheap wee park days are :) Ive also seen a decrease in the invites coming my way since I started this anyway, but that's fine infact probs for the best until I get myself in a better financial position. My question is how did I manage before, cinema trips, trips to town, lunching out frequently pub quiz nights......My answer is in my signature.........a huge pile of debt.......living like a queen for a few weeks and then no money for rest of month. I sat last night wondering how do my friends manage it, some even have more kids than me to afford their lifestyle then I thought STOP ..............it actually doesn't interest me, I'm doing this for a better life for me and my kids no one else matters....im doing this for myself so the title of my thread is fitting.
    So this got me thinking what do I want to achieve when this is paid..... I actually don't know
    Will put my thinking cap on and if I have an ultimate goal this me motivate me further so watch this space.
  • Dreambig_2
    First Anniversary
    So Ive just looked on MSE credit club and I will adjust my figures as it shows on my Credit Report as of today which the balances are larger than I thought but its a starting point :( and I will use the balances on my credit report from now on.
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Dreambig wrote: »
    So Ive just looked on MSE credit club and I will adjust my figures as it shows on my Credit Report as of today which the balances are larger than I thought but its a starting point :( and I will use the balances on my credit report from now on.

I think on MSE credit club the figures dont reflect what the debts are on that day - there seems to be a delay updating. I go on the latest figures for each debt on line if I want to know exactly what the debt is.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Dreambig_2
    First Anniversary
    Thanks Igmogam phew I was wondering about that i was a bit deflated earlier, two of the big ones dd come off on the 20th and the 21st ill be keeping an eye on the totals online and compare them to the credit report. Infact ive just checked the Hitachi balance online it shows 8488.88 with this payment to come off on the 20th so at the moment there is over a 200 difference. Will check again after the 20th,
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well done for the budget for your son’s birthday! Sounds like a positive change from previous birthdays. Hope he has a lovely time - and you too!
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • Mummy_bear
    Mummy_bear Posts: 604 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi, found your diary after you kindly wrote on mine. I've subscribed to cheer you along the journey.

I can totally relate to your comments on why you didn't start this journey earlier. I think almost everyone here have thought this. But it's important to also be thankful that you've had your LBM. Some people never get theirs.

I'd dread to think where we'd be finacially if I hadn't had mine.

All the best on your debt free journey

MB
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) £46444.23 :eek:
    £40773.61 /£46444.23 87.8% paid
  • Dreambig_2
    First Anniversary
    edited 15 March 2019 at 9:17PM
    Thank you so much mummy-bear and pidg04, had a fantastic time at DS birthday I'm thrilled I managed it on budget. As of today I'm N Power free wooohooooo, it wont show on my Balance now til after 6.30 on Monday but its been paid and I'm absolutely delighted another small but sweet triumph, Now time to knuckle down and get the rest paid.
  • Aims for the next few weeks if all goes to plan:

22nd March - 20 very
    5th April - 250 Very
    12th April - 100 Very
    19th April - 250 Very

Its very very tight but doable if all goes to plan if I can manage this I will be over half of very paid providing no hiccups along the way. Wish me luck!!!!
  • Dreambig_2
    First Anniversary
    Woke up determined. Sold a jacket on gumtree for £10 which I put towards the kids lunches for the week. Made 2.47 on qmee which I transferred over to Next and a sneeky wee transfer of £4.00 to very. I would have put the £10 to one of them but I struggle with the cash in hand to electronic transfer as I have no where of getting the cash to a bank and took out all my allowance out of the bank, will need to think of a way round this as I'm using the envelope system and ive got very min in the bank so any ideas welcome as I plan to sell a few things on gumtree/villiage /spock, Listed a few more things on ebay but I never have any luck, will wait and see.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport