Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 28th Feb 19, 7:51 PM
    • 270Posts
    • 604Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Autumn years debt fighting
    • 28th Feb 19, 7:51 PM
    Autumn years debt fighting 28th Feb 19 at 7:51 PM
    This is my second diary on here. My first diary detailed my debt busting whilst working full time. Unfortunately I had a long period of ill health so things went off track, including finishing work for quite a while

I’m now back in work - part time ish and have had to arrange a DMP for my unsecured lending - I still have my mortgage to pay down.

The scores on the doors are approx 35,000 dmp and 50,000 remaining on my mortgage So 85000 ish in total.

I am fortunate that I do have some pension I could access which may clear the mortgage but I’d rather try and pay everything off for as long as I can without taking the pension

I live pretty frugally and budget for everything including fun stuff

I’m an avid reader / follower of other people’s diaries and find the forums a great inspiration
    Last edited by Enjoying life more; 28-02-2019 at 7:52 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Total Morg and debt outstanding March 2019. 84,487.00
Page 2
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 11th Mar 19, 9:14 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Quick update regarding eBay I made a profit of 16.88 pence. Iíve opened a separate account with my bank and transferred it straight in - itís not a lot but itís better than nothing and itís a start.
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 12th Mar 19, 9:27 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Very busy day yesterday - normal shift, overtime and looking after the little one - I slept well last night . Nice steady day today with just one hour overtime. Same again tomorrow then lots of overtime planned for Thursday and Friday. All the overtime worked this month will be paid in my April pay and it should be quite a decent amount.

Iíve logged onto my pension today and was quite surprised to see itís increased the last week or so - I donít really understand what makes the fund go up and down but Iím happy to take the ups

Iím trying to not buy much food this week, my freezer and cupboards are full and Iíd like to save money from this weeks budget for my upcoming little holiday. The holiday is all paid for with spending money set aside but it would be nice to take extra if I can.

The weather is a bit wild where I am tonight and I hope anyone reading is safe and that it passes soon. Off to see how everyone else is doing in diary land before bed.
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 15th Mar 19, 8:24 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    This week has flown by, lots of work done and Iím shattered but have my little holiday coming up very soon so at least Iíll get plenty of rest then. Iím not back at work unti Monday 25th so a decent break from work.

Iíve done quite well on the not buying food front - only a few pounds spent and that included some reduced bargains for the freezer.

Just about to do my banking and budget updates and write my to do list for the weekend. Iíll be seeing the little one this weekend so Iím looking forward to that,other than that no nights out this weekend so hopefully very little spending. Hopefully, weather permitting Iíll get some walking in.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Mar 19, 9:11 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Have a lovely weekend, hope you get a hike in
    If you would like info on good walks / routes just let me know
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 15th Mar 19, 9:21 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Have a lovely weekend, hope you get a hike in
    If you would like info on good walks / routes just let me know
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Thanks I might take you up on that info when the weather picks up
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Mar 19, 9:49 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Would be more than happy to help another walker / hiker with inspiration for new places and routes to try.

As I am based in Scotland (obviously ) most of my hikes / routes are here, however I have also been all over most of the North of England as well. Cumbria and The Lake District is one of my favourite regions to visit and the finest ales in Northern England are brewed there in Cockermouth... mmmmm Jennings
    I would love to go and explore Wales. A lot of my mates have done / do their training there and say it's almost as good as Scotland for challenging terrain and changing weather conditions

This summer I am hoping to complete both the West Highland Way and The Southern Upland Way.

Have you done any long distance routes? Hiking and camping along the way?
    Where are your favourites?
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 15th Mar 19, 10:10 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Iíve only visited Scotland for work and touristy things. Iím back this summer but for a music festival this time so it would be nice to visit again, and see a bit more and go walking.

The same goes for the lakes - I spent a few months working in that area but no walking.

I used to love the train journeys to Scotland - breathtaking scenery.

Locally to me there are some nice river walks and lovely woods - I also like pounding the pavements if itís too muddy.

I always feel better after a good walk
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Mar 19, 10:24 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    What festival are you going to up here? T in the Park? Wickerman? Or another, there are quite a few lol

Haven't been to fest in a while, used to go down to Monsters of Rock at Donnington a lot, and quite a few of the Reading festivals and have done Glastonbury twice and the Isle of Wight once... these days we're lucky if it's Jim and Rab with their guitars and everyone singing along to some of the old classic rock tunes acoustic style

Anyhoo, I'm offski to bed now. Was nice to visit with you. Hope to catch up with you again soon.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 16th Mar 19, 7:48 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    To be honest I’m not sure of the name of the festival - we just got tickets as there’s one old band we’d like to see. . We only got tickets for one day not the whole weekend. I’ve also been to Glastonbury twice - great times too - we were very lucky as both times we had glorious weather.

Have a great weekend
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 18th Mar 19, 6:31 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Had a good weekend, the little one stayed over on Saturday - we had a lovely time, we were mainly indoors due to the weather but we did nip out to the shops on Saturday to get treats. Yesterday was spent tidying and cleaning after little one went home. I did manage to get a walk in later in the day and i really enjoyed it.

Today Iím off work prepping for my little holiday which starts tomorrow. I set off early morning and Iím away for 5 nights.

Budget wise, Iím doing well so far this month and hoping to stick to budget while Iím away. Iíve agreed to lots of overtime the week Iím back at work.

Also when Iím back I want to check my utility bills and make sure Iím ready for when fixed deals end.
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 25th Mar 19, 8:42 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Back from my little holiday with family it was wonderful. Back to reality now though. I underspent on holiday which is good and I have put the money I came back with away for my next trip which is in a couple of months.

I’ve worked today just my normal part time shift and I have overtime booked for the next couple of days.

Pay day tomorrow and I will sort out my bills and banking and update in the next couple of days.
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 28th Mar 19, 7:34 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Update after Morg and DMP payments made today - my total balance is approx 84,487.00.

One of the four cards have now defaulted me which I think means I won’t get any more charges added?

Very busy with work at the moment and I’ve also succumbed to a cold virus - hoping it clears soon

More overtime today and tomorrow then the weekend off �� after that I’ve committed to overtime for the next couple of weeks including weekends
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 2nd Apr 19, 9:38 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Since my last update I had a lovely weekend off work. I caught up with friends on Saturday and had a lovely meal out with family on Sunday. Also caught up with food shopping and house jobs.

Back to the grindstone yesterday. Overtime most days this week and Iím also working Saturday and Sunday too.

I sold the last of the four eBay items on Sunday and posted it today. Minimal profit two pounds I think after postage and fees, but itís better than nothing and gone into the house update fund. I have quite a few more items to list but itís finding the time to do it - Iíll try and fit it in next week.

On track with all my budgets which Iím happy about.

Off to catch up on diaries and news night to see what the latest is on the brexit nightmare
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 16th Apr 19, 8:40 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Quick update hadnít realised how long it was since I last logged in - although I have been reading diaries in between updates.

All is ticking along nicely here, sticking to budgets although finding groceries more and more expensive so Iím shopping very carefully and being more creative with what I can find on offer / reduced etc. I love salmon but not willing to pay what they want in most places. Every so often thereís offer on a full piece about 12 pound a kg but not seen any for a while.

Lots of overtime worked since I last logged in and Iíve worked the last two weekends and Iím working Easter weekend too. Should still have time to do some social things hopefully.

Hope everyone is well and doing okay on the debt busting front. I must add my creditors have been fab with my DMP and I hardly hear from them. I think one of them has defaulted me already so hopefully the remaining 3 will follow suit soon.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 17th Apr 19, 7:43 AM
    • 4,229 Posts
    • 25,602 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Just caught up on your diary. You are doing great and I love your work/life balance.
    I can learn a thing or two about budgeting from you. Will be following
    Target by end of Aug goal: 500/4000
    Car costs savings: 275
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,970Posts Today

7,039Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin