PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• VickyV
    VickyV Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    So, another spend this week between Ald1 and h0me bargains of £50.93, taking my running total to £87.68 for March.
    I feel like that's a lot but I did a batch cook and ended up with nearly 2 weeks of evening meals. Also, I suppose when you consider that £6+ gets spent on milk a week and I have 2 cats to feed aswell, that's a tenner.

I find I spend a lot on packed lunches for hungry 10 and 18yr olds; Aldi pepperami things, sandwich fillings, fruit, biscuits, nuts, cereal bars, etc for 2 - probably around £12-£14 a week. Anyone found a way to do cheaper lunches? I do keep intending to do hm flapjack, I will have a go tomorrow.

Vicky x
    Grocery challenge:December 2022 £151.96/£400 . Advent decluttering challenge 47/240.
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I did a shop on Thursday to stock up for the weekend as we have MIL staying. I got some swanky blueberry hot cross buns which were half price as they were dated that day and they've been absolutely lovely toasted for a treaty breakfast this morning. And no peel in them like normal ones (I hate peel). £22.08 spent in total. Most of it on sensible stuff!

37.37/120
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Visited Asda as friend needed garden centre nearby, £20.44 on a bottle of grouse and 12 tonic waters.
    Whilst in garden centre bought 2 silk peonies and 2 reduced rose buds £4.97 for the bottle vases I bought for 40p after Valentines day with dead roses in.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • becky170
    becky170 Posts: 857 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hay fever tablets are very cheap online. I always buy the years worth about now. They're about £4-5 for 6 months worth on amazon, free delivery from proper registered UK chemists, cetirizine or loratidine. I forgot them when I went on holiday and ended up buying a box from a local chemist... £3.30 for 1 box/30 tablets... exactly the same brand and packaging, aaargh.

Thanks thighteningthebelt will check Amazon. My DH is rather fussy and buys the branded ones over non-branded ones even though I keep telling him that they have the same active ingredient :(
    Mortgage-free wannabe #66 £105/4000
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 March 2019 at 8:18AM
    becky170 wrote: »
    Thanks thighteningthebelt will check Amazon. My DH is rather fussy and buys the branded ones over non-branded ones even though I keep telling him that they have the same active ingredient :(

I bought three packets of the branded ones and then swap the contents of a generic ones into the packet, as they became empty and represent them as new boxes :o. I told him at the end of his hay fever season and he is now content to use the generic ones, rather like that shopping thing Greg Wallace does on the TV
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2019 at 11:15AM
    OMG - way further ahead than I was hoping. I did do some serious 'Brexit Stocking' and my pantry is bulging, not that I am expecting many shortages, but I just like a quiet life, so being prepared suits me. What are people stocking up on. I have a good supply of pasta, rice, spaghetti, cous cous, bulgar, quinoa, etc and a load of beans, kidney, cannelini, aduki, chickpeas, baked, etc stock cubes, passata, tomato puree, dried soy mince and chunks, thai green paste (can't live without it), long life soya milk, coffee. My freezer has a load of veggies and I will buy and blanch some more. That's it really, sounds a lot, but not really. Oh yeah, and the drinks budget is blown !!!!.

I'm off to a vegan festival soon and then to the pub to watch Arsenal - come on you reds. Different budget. Hopefully no shopping 'till Thurs or Saturday, when I will need to top up on salad stuff. Have a lovely rest of w/e everyone.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A 10.65 spend in Tesco this morning. I didn't need much this week, as the meals I have planned, I had most of the fixings already in the house.

The talk on allergy tablets has reminded me that my allergy season is just around the corner... Last year I took a preventative tablet every day, and my allergies were the best they'd been in years. My "season" is from about late March to late July! It only affects my eyes. Loratadine is the only active ingredient that does anything for me. So I'll have a look on Amazon when the time comes!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • ditty1234
    ditty1234 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    £201/£260
    Basically not doing well, have £95 too add for grocery shopping this weekend. Had visitors so bought wine and meat. Also shopped in Sainsbury and stocked up on toiletries including things like foundation, spot cream(not for me) So a bit mad as this now leaves me with £59 for the rest of the month. Freezer and most other things are stocked up though.
    When I posted my SOA people seemed to think £260 is generous for 2 people. Do they have an other secret budget for snacks, eating out, don't eat any vegetables, for makeup and other house hold staples? Admittedly I buy quite a lot of snacks for lunches, but I bring lunch 5 days a week and are a member of the office coffee club my son has school lunch once a week, and is away from the house 7-6 4 days a week - hence stacks of bought and home made snacks. I am not judging/feeling judged, just feeling slightly puzzled. I will save receipts for the next few weeks and start to dig in.
    Am now questioning logic in using 2. Sainsbury voucher 10.50 off £70 shop?
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14253, 54% sorted
    Housing fund Jan 2024 £2000/6000 36%
    EF Jan 2024 £0/1000 0% Emergency fund is for worn out things like vacuum cleaner, dish washer, and washing machine.
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 11 March 2019 at 4:02PM
    (
    Everything added ... Sainsburys was £39.43.

I have a missing Morrisons spend from the 7th ... so will add all to total when i remember what it was.

Yesterday (9th) in work i spent £1.12 on two YS multi pack crisps.

Today i had to go to Morrisons as DD1 was short of nappies for GD and as i am looking after her, i wanted to avoid running out. As it happens they could have waited til tomorrow:cool: They wouldnt have come under my budget anyway, as i include food only. I picked up two vegan pizzas (on offer) to have something quick; as DD2 trying to help with GD, aswell as practice for her food tech exam and so we didn't want to spend any more time in the kitchen than was necessary. The pizzas came to £4 and also got milk which was £1.20 and falafels for £1.

So need to add £7.32 and missing spend to total.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 March 2019 at 9:54PM
    I'm
    ditty1234 wrote: »
    £201/£260 - Basically not doing well. When I posted my SOA people seemed to think £260 is generous for 2 people. Do they have an other secret budget for snacks, eating out, don't eat any vegetables, for makeup and other house hold staples?
    I think if you genuinely need to do this for financial reasons, then you can easily knock £100 off that. I do £80 for one (normally) and usually come in under that. There is definately a knack to frugal shopping and it's not about doing without, it's about being flexible and planning. You say you have a load in stock, so try to meal plan for the next 5/6 days out of food in stores (don't buy anything), you'll be amazed how creative you can get, then split your remaining money between two shops, that would be £29 & £30, which is more than enough if you meal plan. I have £30 left to last the month, (i'm not broke, just if i want to stick to the budget I set), but I wanted to bank £20 into a bulk fund, so that would leave £10. I'm gonna have a go as I honestly don't need 'ANYTHING', so Thursday I will spend £5 at the veggie market, which will buy me 5 large bowls of veg/salad, that will fill my fridge as I have lots in and then hopefully I will buy 5 more for the last week. That's the plan - doesn't always work. p.s. I have separate going out and makeup budgets, but include most toiletries (there are exceptions), take aways come out of budget and I set a separate £20 alcohol budget. Hope that was helpful and not preachy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure