Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trf1960
    • By trf1960 22nd Feb 19, 2:35 PM
    • 127Posts
    • 106Thanks
    trf1960
    Moving to Suffolk - but where ?
    • 22nd Feb 19, 2:35 PM
    Moving to Suffolk - but where ? 22nd Feb 19 at 2:35 PM
    We are looking to move later this year to Suffolk from Essex and have been basing our search around the Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds area. We have been told to avoid areas like Lowestoft, Haverhill and Thetford amongst others. I also know there are areas where the US Airforce are based but that doesn't concern us. We want to buy a bungalow in a typical 'bungalow estate' and are quite happy for it to be in a village location although not majorly far from a town (at least within a 20 min drive away). We are both retirees so not interested in schools but want somewhere that is considered 'safe' as our intention is to spend most of the year in our place in Spain. Our budget is for property around the £250k mark.

For those that presently live (or have lived) in Suffolk, we would appreciate any information you can give us on areas that you would recommend/know of as well as advise to keep well away from?
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 22nd Feb 19, 2:55 PM
    • 11,756 Posts
    • 10,186 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 22nd Feb 19, 2:55 PM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 2:55 PM
    Brandon (just south of the Norfolk border) has hundreds of bungalows.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 22nd Feb 19, 3:07 PM
    • 11,609 Posts
    • 15,497 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 22nd Feb 19, 3:07 PM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 3:07 PM
    When my ex and I were looking, we were told Kesgrave was nice. There's some bungalows in your budget. Not sure what it's like now!

I should imagine the front of this could be improved easily. Actually, saying that, I've found it on streetview and it looks far more attractive in real life than in this pic!
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60016365.html
    2019 wins: Bottle of Prosecco; Popcorn Shed popcorn...
    • Gardenguy
    • By Gardenguy 22nd Feb 19, 4:03 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Gardenguy
    • 22nd Feb 19, 4:03 PM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 4:03 PM
    Hi there kesgrave is nice but there is traffic problem there only to get worse when they build at Martlesham. You maybe better away from ipswich Woodbridge area Framingham or nearer the coast Saxmundham area all good areas
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 22nd Feb 19, 4:26 PM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 31,525 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 22nd Feb 19, 4:26 PM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 4:26 PM
    We are looking to move later this year to Suffolk from Essex and have been basing our search around the Ipswich to Bury St Edmunds area. We want to buy a bungalow in a typical 'bungalow estate' and are quite happy for it to be in a village location although not majorly far from a town (at least within a 20 min drive away). We are both retirees so not interested in schools but want somewhere that is considered 'safe' as our intention is to spend most of the year in our place in Spain. Our budget is for property around the £250k mark.
    Originally posted by trf1960
    I'm not sure about budgets, but it sounds like any of the villages between Ipswich and Felixstowe might suit you. There is a mix of housing types and you are close to both Ipswich and the coast.

Going in the other direction I think the problem you might have is finding places with estates of bungalows, rather than the odd one or two. Top of my list would be Claydon/Barham with plenty of bungalow choice. Also Elmsett in the 'Newlands' and 'Windings Rd' area.

The problem is many estate type developments in the area were of houses rather than bungalows, so you would need to search quite hard to find other suitable locations. But there are other ones such as Thirlmere Drive in Stowmarket.

We have been told to avoid areas like Lowestoft, Haverhill and Thetford amongst others. I also know there are areas where the US Airforce are based but that doesn't concern us.
    Agreed about those places to avoid. Also the US (and UK) bases are nothing to worry about. They work very hard at being good neighbours.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific areas in mind. I don't know the whole county, but am familiar with most of it.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • RedfordML
    • By RedfordML 22nd Feb 19, 6:06 PM
    • 783 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    RedfordML
    • 22nd Feb 19, 6:06 PM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 6:06 PM
    I lived in Haverhill for 22 years. It was great. Thriving high street, plenty of pubs and some great ppl. Like any town certain areas you avoid, but some great places too. Areas around the golf club, great.

That was 15 years ago, I believe it’s very different now. High level of Polish have migrated into the town, pubs have closed at a high rate. I wouldn’t move back and I absolutely loved the town!

I’d look at Diss and surrounding south? Some lovely villages and towns. gl.
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 22nd Feb 19, 7:58 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 2,949 Thanks
    chickens11
    • 22nd Feb 19, 7:58 PM
    • 22nd Feb 19, 7:58 PM
    Ive lived in Suffolk all my life and know it pretty well id say , yes Kesgrave is full of decent bungalows , shops etc only few mins away , I live near Aldeburgh well 7 mins away , Aldeburgh is far too expensive and full of second home owners .......Also as mentioned Saxmundham is only 6 miles from where I live , very nice little market town .......

Leiston also is nice small town and very close to the Sizewell beach ...You can also pm me if you need information on any particular area of Suffolk if you wish too...Good luck....
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • cajef
    • By cajef 23rd Feb 19, 12:13 PM
    • 4,947 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    cajef
    • 23rd Feb 19, 12:13 PM
    • 23rd Feb 19, 12:13 PM
    Leiston also is nice small town and very close to the Sizewell beach
    Originally posted by chickens11
    I used to work at Minsmere RSPB reserve, working next door to Sizewell nuclear power station rather put me off living near one, I was always worried about one day starting to glow in the dark.
    Last edited by cajef; 23-02-2019 at 1:00 PM.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • chickens11
    • By chickens11 23rd Feb 19, 4:01 PM
    • 321 Posts
    • 2,949 Thanks
    chickens11
    • 23rd Feb 19, 4:01 PM
    • 23rd Feb 19, 4:01 PM
    Yes im very close to minsmere , and its all beautiful countryside around it as you know , I suppose im biased because of living here all my life and being born here ........Yes very close to Sizewell power station , but a beautiful coast line ......
    My motto is " one life live it ".....
    • trf1960
    • By trf1960 16th Apr 19, 12:42 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    trf1960
    Thanks to all that replied to this post (and which Hazyjo has kindly pointed out that I have today mistakenly posted an identical query).

Chickens11 and EachPenny thank you so much for offering further advice for when we do actively start looking. It will be gratefully received.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Apr 19, 1:05 PM
    • 38,884 Posts
    • 162,332 Thanks
    silvercar
    Thanks to all that replied to this post (and which Hazyjo has kindly pointed out that I have today mistakenly posted an identical query).

Chickens11 and EachPenny thank you so much for offering further advice for when we do actively start looking. It will be gratefully received.
    Duplicate thread now removed.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Apr 19, 2:05 PM
    • 21,906 Posts
    • 20,631 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You might not be concerned about avoiding US airbases, but wait until you realise you're right under the flightpath for military jets.

Even if you think "Ah, but there's not many in and out", you may wish to contemplate what'll happen if things get politically interesting somewhere within range.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

5,323Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin