Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 176
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 4th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    Previously, but now Bank of Ireland according to the site.
    Originally posted by dekkard
    And have done so since 2015.
    • Stan.In.Devon
    • By Stan.In.Devon 4th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Stan.In.Devon
    Ah, then I apologise and stand corrected.
    • gunjin
    • By gunjin 16th Jan 18, 10:46 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    gunjin
    I really wish MSE would indicate which savings companies use Faster Payments and which still use BACS. Waiting 2-4 days for a transfer to complete is inefficient and tedious and a deal-stopper for me nowadays.
    • Member42
    • By Member42 16th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Member42
    I really wish MSE would indicate which savings companies use Faster Payments and which still use BACS. Waiting 2-4 days for a transfer to complete is inefficient and tedious and a deal-stopper for me nowadays.
    Originally posted by gunjin
    I have found that FP is available to/from most places; all those with a "bank" in their name as well as B.Midshsires, Post Office, Cov. BS, Notts BS to name a few.
    The "nuisance" can be that the feature is not obvious or offered, but can be found in the FAQs ... or even in answers on this forum.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 18th Jan 18, 5:04 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    Tesco to increase rate for new Internet Saver accounts to 1.30% later today.
    Should add for those not familiar with how Tesco accounts work to wait until the website is showing the new rate before opening the account as it won't be increased on accounts opened prior to the new rate being offered.

Edit: now available
    Last edited by AirlieBird; 18-01-2018 at 8:37 AM.
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 19th Jan 18, 6:02 AM
    • 618 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    TheBanker
    I have the old Tesco Internet Saver paying 1.2%. Is it permitted to open a new one at 1.3% and transfer my money across?
    Make 10 a day challenge: Jan-18: 330 / 400
    • Malchester
    • By Malchester 19th Jan 18, 7:43 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    Malchester
    The Banker

Yes it is. I have done this many times with Tesco Savings accounts. Currently on 1.35% (not available to new customers)
    • I-LOV-MONEY
    • By I-LOV-MONEY 19th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    I-LOV-MONEY
    The Banker

Yes it is. I have done this many times with Tesco Savings accounts. Currently on 1.35% (not available to new customers)
    Originally posted by Malchester
    How do you manage to get 1.35%.? My old bonus rate just expired so I opened a new account at 1.2% I suppose I will have to do it again. Such a bother, wish they would just transfer all their customers automatically.
    Thank you for reading this message.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 19th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    ColdIron
    You had to get in before they raised the standard rate to 0.55% but lowered the bonus rate to 0.65%. It wasn't available for long
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 19th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 846 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    How do you manage to get 1.35%.?
    Originally posted by I-LOV-MONEY
    Accounts opened between 28 September 2017 and 30 November 2017 currently receive 1.35%. Accounts opened between 11 August and 27 September 2017 receive 1.31%.
    • gunjin
    • By gunjin 19th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    gunjin
    I have found that FP is available to/from most places; all those with a "bank" in their name as well as B.Midshsires, Post Office, Cov. BS, Notts BS to name a few.
    The "nuisance" can be that the feature is not obvious or offered, but can be found in the FAQs ... or even in answers on this forum.
    Originally posted by Member42
    Do PO now offer true FP? The last time I had a savings account with them it was managed by an Irish bank and didn't support immediate FP so money still took over 24 hours to move...
    • Member42
    • By Member42 19th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Member42
    Yes ... Post Office is operated through Bank of Ireland (NB, so is the AA account for FSCS purposes) and I have used the FP; almost instant tfrs - depending on day/time of transaction.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 24th Jan 18, 4:39 PM
    • 5,151 Posts
    • 13,765 Thanks
    EachPenny
    Just had an email from Ford Money saying the Flexible Saver interest rate is going up to 1.22% AER/Gross annual (or 1.21% AER/Gross monthly) from 24 January.

Still a little bit behind Tesco, but shows continued positive movements
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • G_M
    • By G_M 1st Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 44,393 Posts
    • 52,681 Thanks
    G_M
    Still a little bit behind Tesco, but shows continued positive movements
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    except Ulster Bank is going down in april...... not all positive!
    • PhylPho
    • By PhylPho 14th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 1,281 Posts
    • 2,793 Thanks
    PhylPho
    I note on the MSE 'Top Savings Accounts' page that Ford Money has a "decent rate if you don't want a bonus". But why would anyone not want a bonus?

I opened a West Bromwich Building Society savings account a couple of years ago, trusting to the fact that although it was Variable Rate, I'd be able to enjoy at least several months' use. No chance. After an absurdly elongated signing up process requiring more steps than you'd need to get security clearance from MI5, Westbrom opened the account and, two months later, gave me 30 days' notice that the rate was indeed to be "varied". . . down to a level so hopeless as to be not worth bothering with.

Never again.

* By "several months' use" I'd been -- naively, as it turned out -- thinking of half a year at minimum.
    Last edited by PhylPho; 14-02-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 14th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 10,795 Posts
    • 8,668 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    We've just opened an ICICI account at 1.35% variable (and subject to bonus) as our Barclays mortgage offset account is full as is our Santander 123.

It might be worth us switching to a different 123 account with lower fee and moving close to 20k across to ICICI. Is there a good summary of the various 123 options around?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 7,418 Posts
    • 7,987 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I note on the MSE 'Top Savings Accounts' page that Ford Money has a "decent rate if you don't want a bonus". But why would anyone not want a bonus?
    Originally posted by PhylPho
    The context is that some accounts (the ones above Ford in the MSE analysis) have a significantly lower basic interest rate that's boosted by a temporary bonus to give a relatively appealing overall interest rate initially but one that will definitely reduce at the end of the bonus period.

Some will prefer to sign up to a rate that doesn't have a promised future rate cut, although clearly variable rate products will always be subject to variation anyway, so non-bonus products are likely to appeal more to those who are happy to shop around once but not to keep doing so as regularly as most on here....
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 7,418 Posts
    • 7,987 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Is there a good summary of the various 123 options around?
    Originally posted by gadgetmind
    https://www.santander.co.uk/info/current-accounts/123-current-account-cashback-and-interest-calculator allows you to model what you'd earn from the full 123 or the Lite version based on your own circumstances.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 21,870 Posts
    • 10,575 Thanks
    lisyloo
    But why would anyone not want a bonus?
    Some people prefer a rate that's better over a longer period.
    For example my MIL is in a nursing home and has lost capacity (fortunately she usually passes eletronic checks). FIL (aged 89) is currently in hospital but didn't handle money for 60 years so doesn't pass eletronic checks. It's very difficult to provide ID as he doesn't have driving licence or passport. I've just done it but it was a real trial especially as I'm 100 miles away so can't make phone calls with him.

Often bonus accounts are dreadful after the bonus period. That's fine if you are able to switch but it's not always so easy for everyone.
    I would prefer to switch less often for them.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 14th Feb 18, 2:03 PM
    • 21,870 Posts
    • 10,575 Thanks
    lisyloo
    After an absurdly elongated signing up process
    Why didn't you vote with your feet and go elsewhere when this became apparent early on?

If a company is diffcult in the inital enagement process when they are supposed to WANT you as a customer then it should be pretty obvious that they are going to be rubbish if there's a problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,210Posts Today

4,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin