Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 17th Feb 19, 6:51 PM
    • 3,280Posts
    • 4,594Thanks
    ceredigion
    Santander Refer a Friend
    • 17th Feb 19, 6:51 PM
    Santander Refer a Friend 17th Feb 19 at 6:51 PM
    The Santander referral code scheme is back.
    https://www.santanderreferafriend.co.uk/terms.php

Just going through the terms and looks like a couple can refer each other five times
Page 25
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 15th May 19, 8:31 AM
    • 2,161 Posts
    • 4,977 Thanks
    Zanderman
    Halifax reward account --Does two direct debits from same source count e.g post office savings weekly or does it have to be two different direct debits which is how I have always read the terms to be.
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    This is the Santander Refer a friend thread isn't it???

No direct debits or halifaxes needed.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 15th May 19, 8:38 AM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan

Originally posted by Zanderman

I was following up on someones reply to

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75808427&postcount=476 which related to Halifax Account

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=75808885&postcount=477

Post 477 which I followed up on received 3 thanks despite it having nothing to do with thread title and you didnt have anything to say about that
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 15-05-2019 at 9:08 AM.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 15th May 19, 10:43 AM
    • 10,319 Posts
    • 9,493 Thanks
    colsten
    Originally posted by Zanderman
    You are absolutely right. I apologise for having gone off topic, I should have known better. I promise I will now stick to the Santander offer exclusively in this thread.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 17th May 19, 8:19 AM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 2,794 Thanks
    harz99
    Good morning everyone, first 2 of our switches completed today with balances transferred across to the receiving Santander accounts, however the old accounts both still show on their old banks online banking with nil balances.

Should we wait until the old accounts disappear completely before claiming our Amazon vouchers or is it safe to do so now please?
    • Luxchr
    • By Luxchr 17th May 19, 9:46 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Luxchr
    Good morning everyone, first 2 of our switches completed today with balances transferred across to the receiving Santander accounts, however the old accounts both still show on their old banks online banking with nil balances.

Should we wait until the old accounts disappear completely before claiming our Amazon vouchers or is it safe to do so now please?
    Originally posted by harz99
    I put in my claim as soon as I got the email from Santander to say the switch was complete. Voucher received fine every time.

It could just be that your old bank is using an old clunky software in the background that only updates overnight.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 17th May 19, 9:48 AM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 152,291 Thanks
    Anon
    I put in my claim as soon as I got the email from Santander to say the switch was complete. Voucher received fine every time.

It could just be that your old bank is using an old clunky software in the background that only updates overnight.
    Originally posted by Luxchr
    Yes, Halifax, BoS and Lloyds seemed to update/disappear the following day after transferring out.
    • Princess_x
    • By Princess_x 17th May 19, 2:30 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 11,533 Thanks
    Princess_x
    Are people waiting until previous switches have been completed before starting their next switch(es)? Or does it not matter either way?

• Anon
    • By Anon 17th May 19, 2:33 PM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 152,291 Thanks
    Anon
    Are people waiting until previous switches have been completed before starting their next switch(es)? Or does it not matter either way?
    Originally posted by Princess_x

I doubt it matters - the vouchers are sent out in batches anyway, so you have no way of knowing when they are going to be processed and could lose valuable time waiting.

I would just make sure you keep track of which switch has been processed with which RAF code in case follow up is required.
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 17th May 19, 2:41 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    crumpetman
    I'm missing a code (now over 30 days since claim) as a switcher but don't know for which switch as the emails from Santander with the amazon voucher does not show which account I have switched or the referrer code used. Someone else must have come across this problem too, any help?
    • Luxchr
    • By Luxchr 17th May 19, 2:54 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Luxchr
    I'm missing a code (now over 30 days since claim) as a switcher but don't know for which switch as the emails from Santander with the amazon voucher does not show which account I have switched or the referrer code used. Someone else must have come across this problem too, any help?
    Originally posted by crumpetman
    Are you the referrer or the referee? The referrer's emails have the refer a friend reference, so if you cross reference the ones you do have, you'll be able to work out which switch voucher is missing? then dig out the emails they sent when you requested the switches.

Alternatively, you could call their helpline 01325 390839 and they'll have the list and dates you got your vouchers (make a note of the dates you got your email vouchers first). If they run through however many you did and give you the dates, you'll be able to say "I haven't received that one"
    Last edited by Luxchr; 17-05-2019 at 2:59 PM.
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 17th May 19, 3:24 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 589 Thanks
    crumpetman
    I'm the switcher (referee not referrer) and I did two switches at the same time and claimed vouchers at the same time. Referrer has received both vouchers for the two switches, I have received one voucher. The referrer email quotes the refer a friend code which has been used, the referee email has only "thanks for switching, here's your amazon voucher"

Perhaps Santander expected people to switch only one account and so would know which account it was without having to provide more details. When you have multiple switches it becomes an issue.

I think I will have to phone them.
    • Anon
    • By Anon 17th May 19, 3:28 PM
    • 13,710 Posts
    • 152,291 Thanks
    Anon
    I'm the switcher (referee not referrer) and I did two switches at the same time and claimed vouchers at the same time. Referrer has received both vouchers for the two switches, I have received one voucher. The referrer email quotes the refer a friend code which has been used, the referee email has only "thanks for switching, here's your amazon voucher"

Perhaps Santander expected people to switch only one account and so would know which account it was without having to provide more details. When you have multiple switches it becomes an issue.

I think I will have to phone them.
    Originally posted by crumpetman
    We have the same issue with one missing referree code - referree received on 12/4. I phone earlier this week and they have sent it to their techies to investigate/resend. Very pleasant staff.
    • Princess_x
    • By Princess_x 17th May 19, 5:50 PM
    • 2,336 Posts
    • 11,533 Thanks
    Princess_x
    Sorry if this is a silly question (I did try searching first):

Does the account being switched need to have the debit card activated first?

• karlie88
    • By karlie88 17th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 8,794 Posts
    • 108,132 Thanks
    karlie88
    Sorry if this is a silly question (I did try searching first):

Does the account being switched need to have the debit card activated first?
    Originally posted by Princess_x
    Doesn't need to be activated.

See below for Tesco Bank, HSBC and possibly others.
    Last edited by karlie88; 18-05-2019 at 9:23 AM.
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • karlie88
    • By karlie88 17th May 19, 7:35 PM
    • 8,794 Posts
    • 108,132 Thanks
    karlie88
    The code request page has been removed, a day earlier than expected.
    Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 17th May 19, 9:16 PM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    Doesn't need to be activated.
    Originally posted by karlie88

I know someone who had to restart Tesco switch due to Tesco saying D.C had to be activated, takes no time at all to activate a debit card
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 17th May 19, 9:21 PM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Ed-1
    I know someone who had to restart Tesco switch due to Tesco saying D.C had to be activated, takes no time at all to activate a debit card
    Most debit cards are already activated (Tesco and HSBC are notable exceptions). But if they are not activated, they need to be otherwise the switch will be rejected.

If you say you haven't got a debit card on the switch application and the debit card isn't activated the switch will be rejected as the card must be completely cancelled for this to work.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 17th May 19, 9:28 PM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    @ Ed-1, Ironically a just been opened Coop Bank account, debit card took so long coming didnt think was being issued as already had long standing account, I phoned to switch it into Santander said no debit card issued, debit card rolled in hour later switch still went through.
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 17th May 19, 9:29 PM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    Ed-1
    @ Ed-1, Ironically a just been opened Coop Bank account, debit card took so long coming didnt think was being issued as already had long standing account, I phoned to switch it into Santander said no debit card issued, debit card rolled in hour later switch still went through.
    I've noticed some switches of accounts that have been opened within a few days of the switch request go through with no debit card declared on the switch too. There may be a 'grace period'.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 17th May 19, 9:35 PM
    • 7,691 Posts
    • 9,748 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    I switched two Halifax accounts out to Santander, debit cards were expiring end of May 2019, hour after the call new cards came in through letter box, switches went through fine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

5,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin