Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 13th Nov 07, 6:07 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Victoria be there for Geri and share her bonus?
    • 13th Nov 07, 6:07 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should Victoria be there for Geri and share her bonus? 13th Nov 07 at 6:07 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Victoria be there for Geri and share her bonus?

At the call centre where Victoria works, staff get a £500 bonus if they recommend a mate for a job and they’re hired. So Victoria puts her unemployed friend Geri forward for a vacancy. Geri lands the job, but asks Victoria to be a sport and split the £500 with her. Victoria says she should stop being a baby and just be grateful for the job. Yet Geri says, “who do you think are, friendship never ends. Share the cash.”

Should Victoria share her bonus with Geri and, if so, what percentage?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

Should Jordan pay Peter to go away?
    Should Ben go to Bill's wedding?

Page 1
    • cat4772
    • By cat4772 13th Nov 07, 6:18 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    cat4772
    • 13th Nov 07, 6:18 PM
    • 13th Nov 07, 6:18 PM
    No way. Victoria should keep the money and Geri should be grateful she has a job! Saying that, I'd probably split the money 80% to me and 20% to Geri!

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    never attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    the thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
    • Francis63
    • By Francis63 13th Nov 07, 7:08 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Francis63
    • 13th Nov 07, 7:08 PM
    Victorias choice
    • 13th Nov 07, 7:08 PM
    Its Victorias choice what to do with the money.

If I was Victoria I would offer to split it 50/50, however.

But....if I was Geri I would not have the audacity to ask!

So, it would be nice if Victoria offered and Geri refused. THATS a real friendship, anything else falls short.

(...you gotta get with your friends! lol )
    Last edited by Francis63; 13-11-2007 at 7:33 PM.
  • BenL
    • 14th Nov 07, 12:10 PM
    • 14th Nov 07, 12:10 PM
    Hindsight being the wonderful thing it is, they should have agreed it at the start. I had the agreement to split my referral bonus with the girl who was referring me 50/50.

It was all upfront, if afterwards it was discussed I would have hoped 50/50 anyway as its still money for nothing for the refering party.
    I beep for Robins - Beep Beep
    & Choo Choo for trains!!
  • sluggy1967
    • 14th Nov 07, 12:19 PM
    • 14th Nov 07, 12:19 PM
    I wouldn't give Geri anything - after all, she is now in exactly the same position as Victoria, if she can find someone who needs a job, recommend them and bag £500 for yourself.

I think Geri has a cheek and should be relieved to have a job and grateful to Victoria for thinking of her.

Recommending a friend for a job can be quite dodgy, as if it all goes wrong you will feel pretty stupid for recommending them, it could reflect badly on you, so Victoria deserves the money!
  • David12
    • 14th Nov 07, 12:42 PM
    • 14th Nov 07, 12:42 PM
    Geri should give Vic a present or take her out for a meal/drink as a 'thank you' for getting the job. It would be nice if Victoria then used some of her bonus for something they could share - weekend break, shopping/theatre trip, Gym sub, or whatever they both enjoy doing together.
    NEVER exchange money between friends unless you want to ruin the friendship. Gifts should always be in 'kind'.
  • geofhart
    • 14th Nov 07, 1:04 PM
    Victoria and Geri
    • 14th Nov 07, 1:04 PM
    Hi
    No I think Victoria is entitled to keep the money, Geri is being avaricious in asking for a share. Victoria has already shown her friendship by getting her the job
    • danthemoneysavingman
    • By danthemoneysavingman 14th Nov 07, 1:21 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    danthemoneysavingman
    • 14th Nov 07, 1:21 PM
    • 14th Nov 07, 1:21 PM
    I think victoria shouldn't have mentioned she gets a referral bonus in the first place - no argument then!

Though, she only got her the interview for the job - geri got the job herself. as it's been mentioned, 50/50s nice, given they're supposed to be mates.
    Last edited by danthemoneysavingman; 14-11-2007 at 1:25 PM. Reason: spelling!
    • Ezmondino
    • By Ezmondino 14th Nov 07, 1:32 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Ezmondino
    • 14th Nov 07, 1:32 PM
    • 14th Nov 07, 1:32 PM
    50/50 all the way. I have done this at my workplace - If Victoria is any kind of friend she would have offered half in the first place.
  • averagepunter
    50/50 seems fair to me. Without Geri, Victoria wouldn't have got a penny. As friends, it seems the obvious thing to split the money.

If I was Geri, I wouldn't ask though. I had a situation once where I helped a mate get a £250 referral bonus, even though he didn't refer me, but with a tiny white lie or two I managed to swing the bonus for him. I didn't ask for a share and he never offered. I did feel a bit aggrieved, but it wasn't worth ruining a friendship over.
    If you're happy to sell it to me at a price I am happy to pay - then I want it cheaper.
    • olly300
    • By olly300 14th Nov 07, 2:19 PM
    • 14,312 Posts
    • 13,632 Thanks
    olly300
    No the money shouldn't be split. I've worked at company's who have done this.

The company pays referral bonuses because it's cheaper to get someone via a recommendation then to go through the full recruitment advertising process, and the person recommended is likely to be more reliable than someone found through an advert.

Victoria's bonus is taxed so she won't be getting the full £500. Plus there is likely to be a delay of a few months (normally 3-9 months) before she actually receives it as there are conditions on them that the person recruited has to work at the company for a minimum amount of time, be up to a certain standard and the referer must still be working at the company.

I also know of companies who claim to give referral bonuses then don't actually pay out.

So Victoria may not actually get any of the money.
    Last edited by olly300; 14-11-2007 at 2:22 PM. Reason: more info
    • jitsuguy
    • By jitsuguy 14th Nov 07, 2:25 PM
    • 243 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    jitsuguy
    I necessarily wouldn't split the money but I would take Geri out for a really nice dinner and pay for the whole lot including drinks. That way Geri gets something and Victoria gets to keep most of the cash.

Jitsuguy
    Debts (As of 10th September):
    Original - £7938.11, Now - £0

Matched Betting Profits (From 05/11/06): £1026.45 (of which £214.20 is cashback)
  • Celtic
    Tax
    Victoria will be taxed on this bonus so she will loose a big chunk of it !
    Geri should be glad of the job and not get a penny unless they agreed before hand to split the money!
    Also Geri is liable to be asking Victoria for help in her new job so she needs to keep on the right side of victoria !
    Were all Dooooooooomed !
    • symesd
    • By symesd 14th Nov 07, 3:01 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    symesd
    What's their problem
    Thought they are friends. What' the dilema here.....

If it was not for Geri, Victoria wouldn't have got £500.

Geri could have applied for the job without Victoria knowing about it and Victoria wouldn't have got £500.

Friends should help each other out, shouldn't they.
    A 50/50 split is in order, , they both benefit, both get £250.

Geri has a new job, Victoria has a friends and Ali in work.

They both win so should share in the bonus.

Don't you think!
    Debt £34,800 - Dec 2012
    Debt £12,500 (Dec 2015)
    Current Debt £6,435 (Nov 2017)
    • mst197
    • By mst197 14th Nov 07, 3:26 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mst197
    I have been in this situation before and I would say it depends:

If Geri and Victoria are very close friends, then Victoria might offer to do one fo the following:

Give her a percentage (for her to decide what's the right amount but no more than 50%)
    Take her out for a celebratory meal after Geri finishes her first week

If they are not that close, then Victoria may leave Geri a gift costing upto £50 to congratulate her after her first week / month

We cannot assume that Victoria told Geri about the referral, Geri may have discovered it when she joined and then asked Victoria about whether she got one for Geri's employment.
    • JayD
    • By JayD 14th Nov 07, 4:34 PM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    What I would do and what I think Victoria should do are two different things. I think I would have been up fron with Geri from the start. Told her about the bonus when I suggested the job to her and split it with her 50/50 if she got it. After all, unless Geri applied for the job and was successful, there would be no £500 for me at all.
    But Victoria nd Geri may not be particularly close friends and giving Geri the nod about the vacancy may be considered by Victoria to be something Geri should be grateful for. There is no obligation or prior agreement to split the bonus. So should Victoria share the bonus? But I most certainly would.
    And Geri, this should show you who your friends really are!
    • Dorrie
    • By Dorrie 14th Nov 07, 6:26 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Dorrie
    I don't think Victoria should give Geri any money - as someone else said, Geri should refer someone herself if she wants the money. She now has a job thanks to Victoria.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 14th Nov 07, 7:29 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    I wouldn't give her Jack!!!! If anything she should be paying her friend for nominating her the ungrateful cow!!

She should get a slap!!!
  • jamborino
    Geri has no moral claim to any of Victoria's bonus. They both gained out of the deal - Geri got a job, Victoria got her bonus.

How would Geri feel if Victoria expected a cut of her wages each month for helping her get the job?
  • Testee
    Firstly it should have been agreed up front but I'm going to say yes she should split it. I've been on both sides of this - I've been the friend who was gotten her job and my friend split the bonus with me and I've been the one who recommended a friend for a job and split the bonus with her.

Let's face it - it needed both of them else the bonus wouldn't have been paid to anyone. Victoria wouldn't have got the bonus if Geri hadn't got the job so share it out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,050Posts Today

6,551Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin