Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RedfordML
    • By RedfordML 13th Feb 19, 6:00 PM
    • 790Posts
    • 398Thanks
    RedfordML
    Any advice please? Nightmare situation...
    • 13th Feb 19, 6:00 PM
    Any advice please? Nightmare situation... 13th Feb 19 at 6:00 PM
    Long story short...

We paid a plumber to install a new en-suite at the cost of £3k.

8 weeks on, its still leaking. Plumber is now refusing to take responsibility and in messages has quoted “I’ve done all I can to find a solution” and “I’m out of ideas”

To us, we’ve paid in good faith for a shower to be fitted and working.

He now states he isn’t going to come out to us anyomore “free of charge” but we argue how can we be left £3k down and with no shower?

What are our options? How do we go about court action if required?

We had to get a mastic guy out as “it’s out of my area of expertise” yet the plumber refused to pay and only offered to pay half.

Absolute at my wits end with it all. Just want it ripped out and down again but at no extra cost as we feel let down.

Would love some advice. Thanks.
Page 2
    • RedfordML
    • By RedfordML 18th Feb 19, 11:13 AM
    • 790 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    RedfordML
    It's possibly a logical idea he came up with too.

This is the issue with buying materials yourself and paying people to fit it. You save money if everything goes well. If it doesn't then you're taking the risk on yourself. If there is a problem with a product then it is your responsibility to pay for the labour to rectify it, whatever that involves.

There is always going to be a no man's land of exactly what the problem is when it isn't clear. And the tradesperson can't reasonable be expected to extend a credit line in the form of labour when it's unclear - they didn't charge enough to take responsibility for days of research, because that is what you took the risk on - the guarantee, essentially.

To be fair to this person, you've told us that everything looks tight, indiciating that there isn't an obvious shoddiness to his work. You have supplied boards where the instructions say no mastic is needed, but have purposely introduced a potential leak point by adding a break in the form of a decorative border into something that needs to be watertight.

If it needed sealant but the instructions that you provided with a product you provided say otherwise, who is to blame? It's easily arguable that it's you or the product.

I say that doing it this way is a problem, but what you've done is essentially what I do for a living! I take the risk, but reduce it by doing it on scale, buying quality materials that I know perform (this took time!) and using good labour - again something you learn through trial and error. But if there is a problem, it is mine.

I will not use my company's resources to open questions about responsibility lies in order for people to save money by supplying materials. They have to take that risk with someone else (and good luck to that person because they will end up where you are pretty quickly). They either hand it to me, or not at all. Then we are clear.

This isn't me sticking up for the tradesperson, this is what I have to deal with fairly regularly in the same position as you. I have to take the view. If there is reasonable doubt that the problem lies in the product, then I cannot reasonably ask my trades to suck it up when they just get paid for a days work.

I would not have put a border in those panels. Hindsight is perfect but it's a very obvious risk to have a break of any description in the hardest working splashzone of something that is flexible. . I don't even work with shower panels because I know what works well for us; I'm not risking it on other people's houses.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    I appreciate the honesty. I totally understand all this. It's gutting.

Learnt a lot, i wouldn't pay in full before the work was all ok. Is it best to get the plumber to purchase and add to our quote then to proctect ourselves?

Thanks Doozergirl. Mayebe this explains the lack of response?
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 18th Feb 19, 12:26 PM
    • 2,430 Posts
    • 3,309 Thanks
    FreeBear
    Another question - Was this an electric shower ?
    If so, then you must ensure that you get the appropriate certificates from the electrician showing that the work has been signed off - Your local building control dept should also have been notified.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • RedfordML
    • By RedfordML 18th Feb 19, 1:19 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    RedfordML
    Yeah, all electrical work was carried out by an electrician but it’s not an electric shower.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 18th Feb 19, 3:08 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Long story short...

We paid a plumber to install a new en-suite at the cost of £3k.

8 weeks on, its still leaking. Plumber is now refusing to take responsibility and in messages has quoted “I’ve done all I can to find a solution” and “I’m out of ideas”
    Originally posted by RedfordML

Are you saying it has been leaking right from the installation?
    • RedfordML
    • By RedfordML 18th Feb 19, 4:38 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    RedfordML
    Yep, leaked from original install.

Me and my partner have put more hours and effort into finding the solution to the plumber who is now ignoring messages.

We were very naive to pay early as we left it a week before trying properly and then we were assured it would be sorted.

Our stupidity and trust has been misplaced. We will learn the lesson. We’ve paid £3k in install and material and left with something that doesn’t work.

It’s mad how some people in life simply don’t care. I couldn’t sleep at night if I’d done some work and I’d left people high and dry.

Big lessons learnt. We’ve owned 4 houses and never had an issue with tradesman previously. But we can’t be so trusting in the future.

I wonder if the plumber would be replying or chasing had we not paid?
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 19th Feb 19, 1:01 PM
    • 1,957 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    parkrunner
    Yep, leaked from original install.
    Me and my partner have put more hours and effort into finding the solution to the plumber who is now ignoring messages.

We were very naive to pay early as we left it a week before trying properly and then we were assured it would be sorted.

Our stupidity and trust has been misplaced. We will learn the lesson. We’ve paid £3k in install and material and left with something that doesn’t work.

It’s mad how some people in life simply don’t care. I couldn’t sleep at night if I’d done some work and I’d left people high and dry.

Big lessons learnt. We’ve owned 4 houses and never had an issue with tradesman previously. But we can’t be so trusting in the future.

I wonder if the plumber would be replying or chasing had we not paid?

There's the main problem and hope you won't make that mistake again.
    • anselld
    • By anselld 19th Feb 19, 4:13 PM
    • 6,275 Posts
    • 6,088 Thanks
    anselld
    We’ve had shower boards fitted and have a border through the middle, which I believe is tongue and groove and shouldn’t need mastic according to instructions.
    This states to silicone the joints ....
    https://ids.lsweb.co.uk/app/uploads/sites/7/2017/09/SplashPanel-Kits-Fitting-Instructions.pdf
    ... would be mad not to even if the instructions were silent on the issue.

but I guess you know that now!

If the gap is virtually invisible you might try a penetrating grout sealant. It might just be enough to seal a hairline leak.
    • andi pandii
    • By andi pandii 17th May 19, 2:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    andi pandii
    plumber is obviously acting like a cowboy in this instance..
    if that is his usual modus operandi - then his lack reputation will not be worth much too him.. but if he is an established business with a usually good reputation - then you have much more leverage - a court case would not only cost him all of his and your legal costs but also a hell of a lot more in lost future business..

so if that is the case - gently explain to him that if he will not come to his senses and either provide a full refund of finally fix the job within the next week - you have a rock solid case that you will be taking it to a solicitor..

if on the other hand he is a cowboy with no reputation and you are not in the !!!!! - it is not so good..
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 17th May 19, 2:55 PM
    • 1,487 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    need an answer
    Another new user bringing back an old post.
    in S 19 T 6 F 27
    out S 26 T 9 F 25
    2017 -32 2018 -33
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,937Posts Today

5,093Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• After two cancellations, I'm on the 3rd train back from Manch. Just heard its being rerouted as someone's taken tak? https://t.co/sRO4cvoWIw

• RT @helen_undy: It's hard campaigning at the moment. Trying to cut through amid Brexit votes, protests & political resignations can feel fu?

• Follow Martin