Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    • 1,161Posts
    • 523Thanks
    wavelets
    Symbio Energy feedback
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:29 PM
    Symbio Energy feedback 4th Feb 19 at 4:29 PM
    Anyone have any feedback on Symbio Energy?

They seem to be a new supplier; electric only at this time.
    I think they launched 01-Dec-2018.

They are suddenly appearing on a comparison site with quite a competitive price, at least for the Eastern region. (I've not checked other supply regions yet)

Here is their website

https://symbioenergy.co.uk/

Oddly, there is no way to get a quote or switch via their website ; it says you have to call or email them (see their FAQ page, found under Support)

They are currently 100% owned by Dispensary Holdings Limited
    Last edited by wavelets; 04-02-2019 at 7:00 PM.
Page 45
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 13th Jan 20, 2:12 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Not had the snotty email myself. I don't Condone giving false readings myself but I can kind of understand why some people may. I give regular readings on the last day of the month
    • griffb
    • By griffb 13th Jan 20, 2:24 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    griffb
    I don't Condone giving false readings myself but I can kind of understand why some people may
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    False readings vs False estimates
    • tk47
    • By tk47 13th Jan 20, 4:35 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    tk47
    I see Symbio have been busy trying to defend themselves on a well known review site again today.

A common cut & pasted paragraph seems to be

We understand that you are not content with your recent bill. Please note that the energy industry is based on estimates and hence there will be a variation in the billing for each month (there is a larger variation in your bill during the winter period). However, customers which provides monthly meter reads are less likely to have a variation in their monthly direct debit.
    (my highlighting)

This simply is not true.
    Every customer was supplied with a copy of the terms and conditions, and all I expext is for Symbio to abide by them (in particular terms 3.3.6 and 3.17).
    Furthermore, I have been supplied by Symbio since the summer. Symbio have an actual meter reading for the last day of every month since I have been supplied by them (and on occassions, when I remember, also on the 1st day of the following month, as it seems Symbio pick & choose which of these days to bill to)

To be fair to Symbio, they have now sent me a personalised response to my complaint. Well I say a personalised response to my complaint but...

The response is personalised (in that it gives some specific details in regards my account) but it doesn't really address my complaint. I had hoped I was quite clear in my basis of the complaint, and also what resolutive actions I was excpectiong of Symbo.
    But Symbio in their wordy response, actually ask me what I want as a resolution. So presumably they have not actually read my complaint properly, as what I was hoping for is all specified therein.

On the plus side, I do now have a formal complaint number from Symbio.
    That is something that I specifically requested and will prove invaluable should this matter need to progress to the ombudsman at the beginning of March.
    Last edited by tk47; 13-01-2020 at 4:39 PM.
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 13th Jan 20, 11:07 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Talldave
    I put my readings in on 31/12 and then put a new reading on 01/01.

I had only used 5 kwh for 01/01 as i was away New Years eve night got home late New Years day and when i got my bill Symbio had estimated that i will use 28 or 29kwh for 1 day.....
    Originally posted by Boohoo
    If you're getting the same "broken" bills I'm getting you'll see that you haven't been charged for those 28 units. Give your readings on the 1st every month and you'll get their estimate of that day's consumption free every month!

I think they'll just use their "Winter" 189% algorithm again for Feb.
    Originally posted by Swipe
    Even if they do, the Feb direct debit payment will be equal to the cost of January's consumption, so no surprise large payments.
    Last edited by Talldave; 13-01-2020 at 11:10 PM.
    • griffb
    • By griffb 13th Jan 20, 11:22 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    griffb
    Even if they do, the Feb direct debit payment will be equal to the cost of January's consumption, so no surprise large payments.
    Originally posted by Talldave
    No big surprises, but with a more reasonable February estimate the d/d would be nearer zero; in my case an estimate of maybe 500 units less a "variance" of 450 or so in respect of January.
    • CRISPIANNE3
    • By CRISPIANNE3 14th Jan 20, 8:26 AM
    • 390 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    CRISPIANNE3
    I have been with them since about April 2019 and up until December the bill were exactly in line with what I expected. I gave them regular reads and never any issues. However they say the issue with me is too many meter reads a month and in particular giving the last read on the 30th December.

However will see what happens when my Feb bill arrives. Also I can afford to pay the inflated bills but I do not want to be in a position whereby the account is a lot in credit and they suddenly go bust and then have to go through the lengthy process with a new supplier getting the credit back.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 14th Jan 20, 8:29 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Too many meter readings?? Only with symbio eh
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 14th Jan 20, 10:24 AM
    • 646 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Talldave
    I have been with them since about April 2019 and up until December the bill were exactly in line with what I expected. I gave them regular reads and never any issues. However they say the issue with me is too many meter reads a month and in particular giving the last read on the 30th December.

However will see what happens when my Feb bill arrives. Also I can afford to pay the inflated bills but I do not want to be in a position whereby the account is a lot in credit and they suddenly go bust and then have to go through the lengthy process with a new supplier getting the credit back.
    Originally posted by CRISPIANNE3
    As long as they continue reconciling the bill every month it's not going to be possible to build up a credit.

I've concluded that more than one reading a month is pointless and just makes the bill even more unintelligible!
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 14th Jan 20, 2:10 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    Swipe
    As long as they continue reconciling the bill every month it's not going to be possible to build up a credit.

I've concluded that more than one reading a month is pointless and just makes the bill even more unintelligible!
    So just a single reading on the first of the month is best for extra bonus units?
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 14th Jan 20, 2:50 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Talldave
    So just a single reading on the first of the month is best for extra bonus units?
    Yes. Although to be accurate it's one day after the end of their previous "Flat units" estimation period, which for the last 3 bills for me has ended on the last day of the month, so I've been submitting readings on the 1st. But when I first signed up the estimate used to run to the 1st.

This month I will gamble on the 2nd for my reading as it's a Sunday, to see if I can get 2 days of freebie units. Hopefully it will be OK if I submit just after midnight on the 2nd!!
    • griffb
    • By griffb 14th Jan 20, 3:24 PM
    • 113 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    griffb
    Just had a phone call from Symbio. Ran through options, offered fixed d/d (set at the amount estimated when I first signed up) with a review in summer. While we were talking I was running through some rough numbers in my head and decided that the Feb payment will probably actually be less than the proposed fixed d/d thanks to the huge variance against the January estimate. As summer (and lower estimates) will soon be here we agreed to leave things as they are.

It was a long call (about 25 minutes) so points to Symbio for taking the time.
    Last edited by griffb; 14-01-2020 at 3:24 PM. Reason: para spacing
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 14th Jan 20, 4:45 PM
    • 4,923 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    matelodave
    Yes. Although to be accurate it's one day after the end of their previous "Flat units" estimation period, which for the last 3 bills for me has ended on the last day of the month, so I've been submitting readings on the 1st. But when I first signed up the estimate used to run to the 1st.

This month I will gamble on the 2nd for my reading as it's a Sunday, to see if I can get 2 days of freebie units. Hopefully it will be OK if I submit just after midnight on the 2nd!!
    Do you really think that you are getting freebie units.

Come the day of your final reading when you leave (or they go bust) they'll subtract the opening reading from the final one, work out how many units you've used, to work out the cost and then subtract what you've paid.

If you are lucky you'll be in credit, if not you'll have to pay some back
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • Swipe
    • By Swipe 14th Jan 20, 6:15 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 1,281 Thanks
    Swipe

Come the day of your final reading when you leave (or they go bust) they'll subtract the opening reading from the final one, work out how many units you've used, to work out the cost and then subtract what you've paid.

Originally posted by matelodave

Why would they take into account the opening reading? They'd only go back to the most recent customer reading on the previous bill to generate the final one.
    • tk47
    • By tk47 14th Jan 20, 6:38 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    tk47
    Symbio Energy still concentrating their efforts posting on social media and review sites I see.

Both facebook & twitter have the same posts, each made in triplicate - something about what Donny T said.
    No idea what that has to do with an Electricity Supply Company operating in the Britain, but there you go.

Also noticed this on a well known review site.

Not so much about the fact a report was made (I think the reviewer made a comment something along the lines of "Received a phone call today from an Indian sounding lady..."
    Wouldn't surprise me since their customer service is all operating out of Goa in India currently, as any trace on their email replies they may send clearly indicates, if you know what you are looking at

Perhaps more notable, bearing in mind they are suffering under a huge influx of calls (complaints) since Monday last, and that is their excuse for not addressing yet the number of complaints they seem to have received, is the timing. It is interesting that they do manage to address issues about them rather rapidly when it suits them.

Note how the post was only published 4 hours ago, but Symbio managed to report it 3 hours ago (based on when the screenshot was captured). i.e. within the hour.

Meanwhile, no contact from Symbio today about my complaint lodged with them
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 14th Jan 20, 7:47 PM
    • 4,923 Posts
    • 3,221 Thanks
    matelodave
    Why would they take into account the opening reading? They'd only go back to the most recent customer reading on the previous bill to generate the final one.
    I'd guess they'd do a sanity check - I certainly would.

I guess that's why people get bills out of the blue several months or even years after they've left, probably when the accounts get audited
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
    • nic_c
    • By nic_c 14th Jan 20, 9:18 PM
    • 2,210 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    nic_c

Probably not looked at his bill correctly. I have done this and they estimate the extra day but it doesn't give free electric as you are charged.
    • Talldave
    • By Talldave 14th Jan 20, 9:39 PM
    • 646 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    Talldave

I really do think that, and have created a spreadsheet to double-check my thoughts/calculations.

I have never had any other supplier that goes back "n" years when you leave to suddenly reverse engineer the bills.

Symbio even reset the estimating start point each month in line with the customer reads, so it's not like they're running on an entirely different estimating count that'll show a mismatch when I leave.

I'm more than happy to pay for what I have really used. I might even email them one day to explain what they're getting wrong. But if I do, I will put money on it that I will get the same sceptical response I'm getting on here.

Probably not looked at his bill correctly. I have done this and they estimate the extra day but it doesn't give free electric as you are charged.
    Originally posted by nic_c
    With all due respect, I have looked at all my bills very carefully. Have you double checked yours?

They only ever make one charge - for the flat units estimate. At the start of December, they estimated 489.03 units at 10.87 costing £53.17 (their mathematical error, not mine). I gave a reading that showed I had used 468.10. basic maths would indicate that their variance calculation would therefore show -20.93. But no, it doesn't because they added 45.03 units for the 1st Janaury. So the variance figure was -65.96 and they deducted £7.17 from their ludicrous 768.50 unit estimate for January.

They never charge for the 45.03 units. And it's the same every month that you give a reading a day after the estimating period ends.

If I am wrong, please direct me to the section of the bill where the additional estimate units are charged.
    Last edited by Talldave; 14-01-2020 at 9:48 PM.
    • fishhook
    • By fishhook 15th Jan 20, 12:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fishhook
    Beware SYMBIO ENERGY
    Their rates seem fine but they give all the excuses for conically overcharging the monthly payments
    even given readings and are extremely difficult to communicate with let alone get a clear answer. They do not have a clear billing process that shows where you stand with usage and standing charges credit or debit etc., I think they are building a pot of money to vanish with and let the regulator pick up the pieces.
    Wishing I had not gone with them.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 15th Jan 20, 3:54 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Just leave then fishhook like I will be. Halfway through my cooling off period as I type. 10 or so days I'll be out thank goodness. Sometines cheap isn't the best
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 15th Jan 20, 8:07 PM
    • 462 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Robin Hood Energy tried it on with me
    I have never had any other supplier that goes back "n" years when you leave to suddenly reverse engineer the bills.
    Robin Hood Energy tried this with me. When I left them in April 2017 to go to Powershop, I owed them £4.38 and expected to receive a final bill shortly after. Nothing arrived.

Then in October 2018 they sent me a final bill for about £30 which was full of errors and obviously incorrect. I emailed them to tell them the bill was incorrect as I owed only £4.38 and anyway they can't bill me after 12 month because of the OFGEM 'backbilling' regulations. Never heard another word from from

OFGEM cite a definition which you might wish to cut and paste into a 'just in case' document:

‘A backbill is a ‘catch-up’ bill sent to you by your gas or electricity supplier when you haven’t been correctly charged for your energy use. Backbills can be for any amount, but we have put in place rules which define when your supplier can charge you, and to prevent backbilling beyond 12 months.’

Hope that helps.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,072Posts Today

6,719Users online

Martin's Twitter