Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 4th Feb 19, 11:58 AM
    • 362Posts
    • 25Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    Garage repair costs
    • 4th Feb 19, 11:58 AM
    Garage repair costs 4th Feb 19 at 11:58 AM
    Hi,

I need to get a mechanic to fit a new caliper, pad carrier and pads as well as bleeding the brakes.

How much is this likely to cost me?

I've got the parts here - I just need them fitted.

Also, how much would a breakdown truck approximately be to take the car approx 50 miles to my home so I can fit myself?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 5th Feb 19, 11:32 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,151 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 5th Feb 19, 11:32 AM
    • 5th Feb 19, 11:32 AM
    What areas for recovery truck?
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 5th Feb 19, 11:43 AM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 5th Feb 19, 11:43 AM
    • 5th Feb 19, 11:43 AM
    I'd imagine the a towtruck would be 150 to 200. As it will take them about three hours to get to the car, load it and return.

A mechanic will be about 200, but I think you will save money if your car is stranded by paying a mobile mechanic to take you to the car and to replace the caliper, carrier and pads where it is. If the car can be driven without bleeding the brakes, I would drive it back home and get the brakes bleed there.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 5th Feb 19, 12:07 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    • 5th Feb 19, 12:07 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 12:07 PM
    what areas for recovery truck?
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    bt6 - bt44
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 5th Feb 19, 12:38 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    • 5th Feb 19, 12:38 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 12:38 PM
    I'd imagine the a towtruck would be 150 to 200. As it will take them about three hours to get to the car, load it and return.
    Originally posted by tacpot12
    Yip, that is the quote.

A mechanic will be about 200, but I think you will save money if your car is stranded by paying a mobile mechanic to take you to the car and to replace the caliper, carrier and pads where it is. If the car can be driven without bleeding the brakes, I would drive it back home and get the brakes bleed there.
    200 labour? I've already got the parts.
    • tommie
    • By tommie 5th Feb 19, 5:40 PM
    • 342 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    tommie
    • 5th Feb 19, 5:40 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 5:40 PM
    Is this some special make of car or what??!!

Jack car up - wheel off - clamp flexible brake hose - unscrew caliper brake pipe - unscrew bolts holding caliper\caliper off - fit new caliper/pads - bleed that wheel only.

Competent mechanic, about 20mins if that...
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 5th Feb 19, 5:55 PM
    • 18,589 Posts
    • 11,451 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 5th Feb 19, 5:55 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 5:55 PM
    Is this some special make of car or what??!!

Jack car up - wheel off - clamp flexible brake hose - unscrew caliper brake pipe - unscrew bolts holding caliper\caliper off - fit new caliper/pads - bleed that wheel only.

Competent mechanic, about 20mins if that...
    Originally posted by tommie
    +1

Certainly not 200 labour.

An hours labour, two hours tops if he wants to stretch it out a bit. Depending on where you are a mechanic might be 20-50 per hour.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 5th Feb 19, 6:13 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 2,004 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 5th Feb 19, 6:13 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 6:13 PM
    Why don't you post the figure you end up paying? Then we'll see.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
    • funkey_monkey
    • By funkey_monkey 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    funkey_monkey
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 9:26 PM
    I bought parts.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 17th Apr 19, 7:21 AM
    • 18,589 Posts
    • 11,451 Thanks
    motorguy
    I bought parts.
    Originally posted by funkey_monkey
    Good to see i havent lost my touch.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,259Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin